Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Don't want to give the wrong impression, and the more I read here I think a lot of us are a like. It's hard to line up with some fellow backpacker/camper/hammocker/fisherman types on a regular basis. I enjoyed a lot of it with my son but we have stepped off in those too cool for my parents years, he'll come back. I live in south LA, it's a good 10 hr drive for me to get to somewhere I want to jump off the trail. Most of my friends are not willing to do that. Not a lot of backpackers in LA...hope to cross your path one day!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    I like going solo for many reasons. Its easier to get out vs organizing time off with others. I can go at my own pace and follow my own routine. No one to consult. Solo time in the woods is especially good to get away from everything including personality conflicts that can happen in groups.

Having said that though, I do enjoy hanging with a good group of friends. The commaraderie of a shared experience especially a challenging one is awesome.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Darien ul
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    Sniv/HG incubato 0
    Suspension
    dutch woopie hooks
    Images
    I like the fact that you dont say a word for several hours or days,Only think to yourself

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I have to say I enjoyed the solitude far more than being around strangers. I love s good hike with good friends, and look forward to many of them, but there was a serenity in bring totally alone with only my thoughts that I also look forward to repeating
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I like camping solo, but not as much a I like camping with my boyfriend, our camping is done out of the kayaks so it's more of a safety thing, paddling solo on Lake Superior isn't really something that I want to do. Sometimes we entertain each other silly, other times we almost ignore each other to get the solitude, it works well for both of us.
    Swankfly, DNR means "Do Not Recusitate" I know I spelled that wrong though
    Debi

Hammock
    NX-150 TX-150
    Tarp
    Vertex-Camo
    Insulation
    Z-Liner & DIY Pads
    Suspension
    Clark
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    I wear a RoadID bracelet my wife bought me.
    I think it makes settling the insurance claim faster if they can identify the body,
    does anyone know what DNR means.
    lol

Looks like your wife wants the insurance money . . .

Do Not Resuscitate
    Bradley SaintJohn
    Flat Bottom Canoe
    Start A Biz

The Transition from Ground Sleeping to Hammocks
    is the Conversion from Agony To Ecstasy,
    and Curing Ground-In-somnia.

"Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and show you great and mighty things . . ." Jeremiah 33:3
    ΙΧΘΥΣ

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    My first solo tip happened by accident! I was in the 8th grade, so I was about 13 at the time. The neighborhood gang (all 3 of us) plotted a plan that we were going to meet up in a track of woods about a half mile from the house and do a simple overnighter. I got there before anyone and went ahead rolled my bag out and gathered fire wood. Proceeded on like everything was still a go. Started the fire around dusk 30 and just sat there enjoying the smell of the fire and the crackling of the embers. Thought I might lay down for a minute and the next thing I knew it was dawn. I’m so glad I grew up when I did cause now there is a Wallie-World at that spot.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    WB's BB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 20dUQTQ, HG Ph
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    DNR I know a young medic that has that tattoed in BIG lettering across his chest. Funny, but I wonder if he'll still feel that way when he has a family and is 40 or 60 years old?

My first solo hiking experience has a public home forever right here. All I'm thinking about these days is when I can get out there again. Absolutely loved the solitude, the ability to go where and when you want, to stop whenever you want and to go at your own pace. I loved just spending time alone thinking about stuff or not thinking about anything and just focusing on the trail.

I found sleeping at night on the trail a little harder than I expected, every little noise kept me up, although it did get much better the 3rd night. I suspect this gets easier the more you do it.

My second trip was more about my wife and getting her to enjoy the experience although that turned into a surreal trip involving a multi services search party complete with K9 unit. All I gotta say about that is be careful where you park your vehicle overnight.

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1 & 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Incbtr-AH Potmc
    Suspension
    WB Adj Web
    Images
    My first solo...here is a report I wrote up
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/p...rest-1982.html
    The road to success is always under construction.
    http://hikingillinois.blogspot.com/

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L84toff View Post
    DNR I know a young medic that has that tattoed in BIG lettering across his chest. Funny, but I wonder if he'll still feel that way when he has a family and is 40 or 60 years old?

My first solo hiking experience has a public home forever right here. All I'm thinking about these days is when I can get out there again. Absolutely loved the solitude, the ability to go where and when you want, to stop whenever you want and to go at your own pace. I loved just spending time alone thinking about stuff or not thinking about anything and just focusing on the trail.

I found sleeping at night on the trail a little harder than I expected, every little noise kept me up, although it did get much better the 3rd night. I suspect this gets easier the more you do it.

My second trip was more about my wife and getting her to enjoy the experience although that turned into a surreal trip involving a multi services search party complete with K9 unit. All I gotta say about that is be careful where you park your vehicle overnight.
    The noises...definitely get easier the more you do it. I have friends that swear by Tylenol PM and/or ear plugs. I prefer a nice stream side site when available, can't beat the constant babble...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast