Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Pad & Blanket
    Suspension
    Straps

Hammock Camping & Bushcraft

They seem like they should fit well together. What's your thoughts?
    As I walk in the woods........ well......... I feel at peace with the world.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Warbonnet superfly
    Insulation
    pad, IX UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Like peaunt butter and jelly, or As Shug would put it "potted meat and Yohoo"
    Take this soul, stranded in some skin and bones, take this soul and make it sing.

I also belong to the BushcraftUSA site and there are several parallel threads on hammocks, cooking, knives, etc.

http://bushcraftusa.com/forum/forum.php

I'm into bike touring/camping and have gathered good info from both sources. Pick and choose from both and Google some more and you can drill down to find what you need to get along outdoors.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    If we can agree to define bushcraft as the set of skills and knowledge necessary to thrive in the outdoors, then I'd say that hammocking is certainly part of the overall "toolkit" bushcrafters draw from.

But it's a matter of perspective. I'd argue that a high tech solo hiker or canoeist quickly navigating a clearly defined route with their gps, freeze-dried foods, alcohol stoves and ultralight hammock setup complete with carbiners and whoopee slings is practicing very little in the way of bushcraft. On the other hand, if you're looking to minimizing one's footprint, then "stealth hammocking" is a great way to go.

Hamock, tent or pine bough lean-to, it comes down to having the skills to make your shelter effective. Hammocking just takes a few more skills and a calls for a better sense of the weather than does a tent.

Finally, I'd say though that hammock camping is certainly a more immersive way to camp, and that is a large part of bushcraft. With a raised tarp and clear views, I really feel like part of the outdoors, far more so than from within the confined walls of a tent.

Sorry, idle ramblings...
    Last edited by Chard; 09-07-2012 at 12:19.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live

Upcoming EGL Hangs: Winter Backcountry 2014. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Feb 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Winter 2012, Fall 2011, Video: Algonquin - Spring 2011 - Part 1 of 2

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by willhang1 View Post
    Like peaunt butter and jelly, or As Shug would put it "potted meat and Yohoo"
    i know what potted meat is lol.i grew up on it.whay is yohoo lolneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    20* bag, PL, HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Intersting thread.

In my case, hammocks helped renew my interest in camping.

Hammock camping led me to resume the habit of bushcrafting, and teaching my adult sons bushcrafting skills.

Since we've resumed going out so much, my boys have enjoyed the new challenges their mean old dad throws at them. They've all been very skilled with a flint and steel fire since they were about 10 years old...now they're mastering hand-drill and bow-drill...and learning to make fire under extreme conditions, like with wet materials, or out on a lake.

Using a hammock...and especially using the tarp that goes with it...is very easy to incorporate into those bushcrafting skills.

Personally I don't view any of it as seperate...hanging my hammock and tarp is just one more shelter option while I'm out there...albeit my shelter option of choice for sure!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    i know what potted meat is lol.i grew up on it.whay is yohoo lolneo
    It was just spelled wrong. Should be "Yoohoo" as seen below; chocolate drink-like fluid.

But yes, I think Bushcraft and hammocking make good kissin cousins. I have taken aspects of each and applied them to the other. The knowledge bases are very complimentary.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    Walmart Special
    Insulation
    Pad & Blanket
    Suspension
    Straps
    My biggest concern is bears. I didn't grow up around them so I don't know how to "act" in their territory. The thing that keeps going through my mind is, I'm a freakin' burrito for him he really wants me! Lol!
    As I walk in the woods........ well......... I feel at peace with the world.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I see hammocking as one aspect of bushcraft.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tryinhard View Post
    My biggest concern is bears. I didn't grow up around them so I don't know how to "act" in their territory. The thing that keeps going through my mind is, I'm a freakin' burrito for him he really wants me! Lol!
    I hear ya. I've often thought of including a velcro strip just below my full length bug netting zipper so I can rip open my hammock in an emergency. Then I yawn and ponder the different stiching techniques necessary until I fall asleep.
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live

Upcoming EGL Hangs: Winter Backcountry 2014. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Feb 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Winter 2012, Fall 2011, Video: Algonquin - Spring 2011 - Part 1 of 2