WBRR
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush/Flight
    Suspension
    Webbing

Fabric differences

I have a TTTM (Ticket to the Moon) hammock that I've hung for family car camping. It's made of parachute material. What is parachute material made of? I don't necessarily find it all that comfy and have been thinking of gettting one of Dutch's Argon 90 or PolyD because everyone seems to really like them. This would be more for lounging while car camping, backyard lounging or just general lounging. Can someone explain the diiference between the 3 for me. Mainly regarding feel, stretch, weight capacity, durability.
    Thanks so much!

Skip

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Feel is subjective. What something "feels" like to one person, might not be how another person perceives the sensation.

Personally I like Dutch's Argon Hammock, I bought one for my daughter, I tested it, feels nice and looks nice. I like it better than most of my Hennesseys, but that is just my personal opinion.

Parachute material can mean just about anything. Mostly nylon, I have a couple of them, they are okay, I just like the higher end hammocks. I like quality and innovation, again just my personal taste.

PolyD, I have not tried, mainly because I am not fond of polyester, nothing wrong with the modern polyester, I always remember the bullet proof polyester clothing of the 70's which I still see people wearing. The modern polyester fabric is a significant improvement, I just like some of the other available fabric better. Again personal taste.

I am sure some of the members will give you measurements and clearer answers. In my opinion, get one of each type, test them, SEE WHAT YOU LIKE. Your choice is PERSONAL PREFERENCE, they are all good choices, will wear long and well with proper useage, do not leave them out in the sun for days, do not let the humans jump on them, that sort of caution. Pay attention to what you use for suspension, your suspension also has a bearing on how much weight the hammock will hold.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    There is nothing like checking them out for yourself,, keep an eye open for a group hang in your area and go to it!, there you can check out all kinds of hammocks as well as tarps , insulation, suspention and all things hammocking in one place.

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Afaik, the fabric a lot of manufacturers call "parachute silk" has nothing to do with parachutes. It's usually just light nylon fabric. Maybe some hammocks really were made from parachute fabric in the past, and the name stuck. The TTTM I own is made from a fairly stretchy nylon, which I don't like too much.

The Argon 90 is not a hammock fabric, although some people have used it for hammocks. It's down proof because it was made for quilts, just as the Argon 67. Personally, I wouldn't hang in a single layer Argon 90 hammock, but if you search for it, you can find threads from people who did just that. I assume that a double layer hammock would be fine, but in my opinion, there are better hammock fabrics.

You could have a look at the 1.6oz Argon, which was designed specifically for hammocks. If you like the way your TTTM hammock stretches, you might like the 1.6oz Argon. It is stretchier than 1.9oz Nylon, but still very strong. And the fabric feels really nice; soft with a texture and it crumples into a tiny ball when you pack it up.

The PolyD is very smooth and shiny. Of all the hammock fabrics sold from the cottage dealers, it's the one that looks and feels most synthetic. It also produces a lot of static. But the lay it provides is super flat. If you like more support and have a problem with calf ridges, try the PolyD.

Of course there is also 1.6oz HyperD. I think it's kind of in the middle between 1.6oz Argon and 1.4oz PolyD. It's less stretchy, stronger and softer than the Argon, but more stretchy and less smooth than the PolyD. I like how it feels - I'd say velvety. I still prefer the lay of the PolyD, though.

As the others said: it would be best to try all fabrics yourself, because nobody will be able to tell you which one you will like best.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush/Flight
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I get it, it's better to see & feel for yourself and I'm all about that but there aren't any group hangs planned for my area that I can see here. Thanks for your input hutzelbein, I really appreciate it.

So maybe I mistyped in my original post saying Argon 90. Dutch's site just says Argon so I don't know which Argon that is.

I thoroughly expected to have lots of input/feedback on this question and I'm a little surprised the answer was "check for yourself at a local group hang". I do like people's opinion about things I'm trying to learn about. Even for subjective things like feel.

Skip

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skipcurt View Post
    So maybe I mistyped in my original post saying Argon 90. Dutch's site just says Argon so I don't know which Argon that is.
    This is the Argon 90 - and this is the 1.6oz Argon meant for hammocks. The ready-made Argon hammocks are made of 1.6oz Argon.

Quote Originally Posted by skipcurt View Post
    I get it, it's better to see & feel for yourself and I'm all about that but there aren't any group hangs planned for my area that I can see here.

I thoroughly expected to have lots of input/feedback on this question and I'm a little surprised the answer was "check for yourself at a local group hang". I do like people's opinion about things I'm trying to learn about. Even for subjective things like feel.
    Unfortunately it's true in this case. People seem to like either the Argon OR the PolyD. Those fabrics are totally different, and I would be surprised if somebody would say they liked both equally well. People can write all they like about the two, but this won't tell you which one is the right fabric for you. Since you don't have the chance to go to a group hang, do what I did (no group hangs in Germany!) and get both. It's not like the cost is prohibitive. You'll save on shipping and can use the 2nd hammock as a back-up, lounging or loaner hammock. Or you could sell it on with only a small loss.

If you really can only afford one: if you like a stretchy hammock, go for Argon. If you don't like stretchy, go for PolyD. Everything else like touch and colors is really unimportant. After all you want to sleep well, and not stay awake and admire your new hammock the whole night

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush/Flight
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Thank you very much hutzelbein!

Skip

Hammock
    Too Many
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Dutch Speed Hooks
    For what it's worth, I think I'm an oddball since most people seem to like PolyD and after buying a hammock in PolyD and in Argon, I like Argon better. I actually bought the fancier PolyD hammock first and was a bit disappointed to find that I preferred my inexpensive Dutch Argon hammock.

Hammock
    XLC
    Tarp
    HG WP
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutch
    I know it's not always feasible but if it is then just buy one of each and pass on whatever one you don't want in the 4sale section. You may have a small try me penalty but nothing beats a first hand evaluation. Sleeping is a fairly personal matter so......... You could end up with a fabric you like but a hammock design which doesn't suit your preferences and you will have a hard time separating the design from the fabric in terms of opinion.

• + New Posts