Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    Roadrunnr72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Milford, Va.
    Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Posts
    2,386
    Images
    210
    If I am looking at this right, for porch mod, you don't even need poles. Loosen the front guy lines, pull the back straight down and tight, then tighten the front back up. Is this correct?
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals


  2. #12
    hikingdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Richmond, WI
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    If I am looking at this right, for porch mod, you don't even need poles. Loosen the front guy lines, pull the back straight down and tight, then tighten the front back up. Is this correct?
    That is correct

  3. #13
    Do you really need the side tie outs with this option?

    Jeremy

  4. #14
    hikingdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Richmond, WI
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,540
    Quote Originally Posted by OutdoorJunkie1992 View Post
    Do you really need the side tie outs with this option?

    Jeremy
    when you're using the poles, the side tie outs are not necessary... I had them on prior to this mod, and I also plan on using them for summer or warmer weather. The poles will be used in winter.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    when you're using the poles, the side tie outs are not necessary... I had them on prior to this mod, and I also plan on using them for summer or warmer weather. The poles will be used in winter.
    I would love to have this done on my Superfly

    Jeremy

  6. #16
    Roadrunnr72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Milford, Va.
    Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Posts
    2,386
    Images
    210
    After thinking about this, I have a few questions. If you don't have the guy lines tied down, wouldn't the tarp poles cause the tarp to want to lay flat. And if this the case, how much force do you feel is on the stakes. Just wondering, if the wind caught the tarp right, could it cause it to "launch" a tarp stake? Thanks.....RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals


  7. #17
    hikingdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Richmond, WI
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,540
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    After thinking about this, I have a few questions. If you don't have the guy lines tied down, wouldn't the tarp poles cause the tarp to want to lay flat. And if this the case, how much force do you feel is on the stakes. Just wondering, if the wind caught the tarp right, could it cause it to "launch" a tarp stake? Thanks.....RR
    There isn't too much force on the stakes to get it to pull down, but you are right that without the stakes and guy lines it tries to flatten out. With the sides pulled down, I don't see any issue with wind catching it...might be a problem if you pitched it in porch mode into the wind, but it would probably do it without the pole mod too.

  8. #18
    Roadrunnr72's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Milford, Va.
    Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Posts
    2,386
    Images
    210
    Thanks, I have one of the older Guide Gear tarps that I use for my winter shelter, and am thinking about doing this with it. I hate getting up in the middle of the night or early morning and touching the inside of the tarp and getting wet from condensation.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

    People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals


  9. #19
    Thanks hikingdad, :} for finding another way for me to help the economy, just sent my OMW tarp to Donna at 2qzq for this mod, quest was out of .340 so had to get next smaller. thank you for info and pics, is a great set up. jim
    correction,they did have the 340, thanks again for sharing all your info.
    Last edited by jrs; 09-26-2012 at 18:33.

  10. #20
    hikingdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Richmond, WI
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,540
    This thread was just brought up again so I thought I'd update it.....

    I found the ties in the middle of the tarp to hold the poles in place are completely unnecessary. I use a continuous ridgeline under the tarp and I just slide the poles between the ridgeline and tarp and they stay fine...sort of slanted towards the middle, but they're fine.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •