Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images

whoopie/amstel/hammock attaching/ lenth

ok so this is what I have. 24' amstel, 2 Wal-Mart straps, gt tree sling hammock.

I would like to eliminate the stock s-hook and black cord connected to the hammock.

in looking at the original whoopie post he has the other end threaded thru the gathered end and knotted. Then he whoopies the other end but only has it at 10 inches In the middle and the adjustable potion making maybe 2-3 feet total.

I will be using a marlin spike hitch. So my questions are can I make a Brumley splice to lock in the gathered end? And then how much amstel to use? If I have the 15' from Wal-Mart straps does it matter how long the whoopie is because I can extend the strap and use whoopie for adjustments or do I want to keep the strap short and lengthen the whoopie?

I know some of this will be preference and some factual reasons. I am going to try my first hang tomorrow with me and my son and want to complete this first.

thanks to all in advance.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    You can carefully knock off the S-hook (I did it with a cold chisel and 3 lb. mallet) but keep the black cord as is to make your life easier.

Make your whoopies each as long as possible. I use carabiners but you can lark's head the loop of the sling to the black cord and run the adjustable ends to the tree straps. Carabiners make good spikes in the marlin spike hitch.

Carabiners are easy to use and reduce friction on lines but you can go broke buying them!

With maximum adjustability at both strap and whoopie you could probably even hang in West Texas where the trees are a quarter-mile apart!

Mike

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Chinook 12 x 9.6
    Insulation
    Mummy bag
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    I did what Professor Hammock AKA Grizz showed on his youtube video on my Hammacka, which is much like the GT's. I took out the heavy cord and hook, ran some paracord through the channel, rolled it up once to form a big knot of fabric and tied it off. You can then take the locked brummel loop in the end of the whoopie and larkshead it behind that ball of fabric. It doesn't have to run through the channel itself unless you want to. I actually took the excess paracord hanging loose from where I tied the ball of fabric and tied a knot around the larkshead from the whoopie to keep it from falling off while not under tension.

DIY Gear Supply has a great DIY guide laid out on paper showing the lengths of everything. He uses 15 ft of Amsteel in that, but at 12 ft each your loop would just be a little shorter. I hope this answers the question.

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    You can carefully knock off the S-hook (I did it with a cold chisel and 3 lb. mallet) but keep the black cord as is to make your life easier.

Make your whoopies each as long as possible. I use carabiners but you can lark's head the loop of the sling to the black cord and run the adjustable ends to the tree straps. Carabiners make good spikes in the marlin spike hitch.

Carabiners are easy to use and reduce friction on lines but you can go broke buying them!

With maximum adjustability at both strap and whoopie you could probably even hang in West Texas where the trees are a quarter-mile apart!

Mike
    I will probably leave the cord on at least until after this trip, but may run the whoopie thru after. I can then make a brummel and larkshead it to the black cord. So if I use 12' it should maybe 5-6' whoopie. Then I can connect to straps with msh( I wish I can some biners that didn't say NOT FOR CLIMBING on the side) using aluminum tubes. Thanks

I guess whoopie can only go as short as the buried line. The sticky shows 10" is that standard?

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiknhanger View Post
    I did what Professor Hammock AKA Grizz showed on his youtube video on my Hammacka, which is much like the GT's. I took out the heavy cord and hook, ran some paracord through the channel, rolled it up once to form a big knot of fabric and tied it off. You can then take the locked brummel loop in the end of the whoopie and larkshead it behind that ball of fabric. It doesn't have to run through the channel itself unless you want to. I actually took the excess paracord hanging loose from where I tied the ball of fabric and tied a knot around the larkshead from the whoopie to keep it from falling off while not under tension.

DIY Gear Supply has a great DIY guide laid out on paper showing the lengths of everything. He uses 15 ft of Amsteel in that, but at 12 ft each your loop would just be a little shorter. I hope this answers the question.
    I will fiddle with it some time in the near future to make it more how I like it.
    unfortunately I can't see youtube or DIY at work it wont go thru thr firewall. Good news is HF works great...

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    You can double the whoopie back to shorten it a little more than the bury. But you'd be at the tree straps long before that.

Mike

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    just told the whole story in general forum, but just wanted to add what I think I learned.

Do not attack the whoopies directly to the hammock. It limits your options and locks the whoopies into one hammock.

6' of whoopies and msh on a tree strap gives you plenty of room to string up a hammock.

make whoopies with a bead( or another simular item) to prevent the adjustable end from burying itself.

when you buy a house plant lots of trees in the yard, not to help the environment, so that 12 years later when you become obsessed with hammocks you don't find yourself 60 miles from you house in the dark just to try them out.

• + New Posts