Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1
    Member golfpro1286's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Hammock
    Clark NX250 CAMO
    Tarp
    Clark CAMO Vertex
    Insulation
    Thermorest
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/Clip
    Posts
    62

    Need help splicing Zing-It...

    I have been looking everywhere but cannot really find any photo or video tutorials of how to splice a fixed eye into zing-it... Thanks for any help you can provide.
    We both know I have to kill you now, you'll just have to imagine the fire!

  2. #2
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,077
    Images
    1
    Same as you splice a fixed-eye into Amsteel. Here's Opie's pictoral on a locked brummel:

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=13328

  3. #3
    SnrMoment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Streamline
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Posts
    959
    Tapering the pull through end is critical with Zing-It. It's like trying to stuff a golf ball through a garden hose if you don't. DAMHIK
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

  4. #4
    Member golfpro1286's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Hammock
    Clark NX250 CAMO
    Tarp
    Clark CAMO Vertex
    Insulation
    Thermorest
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/Clip
    Posts
    62
    At the risk of sounding stupid, what is the best way to taper the end?
    We both know I have to kill you now, you'll just have to imagine the fire!

  5. #5
    Senior Member Living the Highlife's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Hampton, VA
    Hammock
    DIY 1.9
    Tarp
    HammockGear CF
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + Lafuma TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    157
    Quote Originally Posted by golfpro1286 View Post
    At the risk of sounding stupid, what is the best way to taper the end?
    I like to fray the ends a quarter to a half an inch down, using a needle to pull apart the braided lines and cut four or so lines off that way it isn't the "golf ball through a garden hose" method. It is still difficult IMHO, but i find it easier with three essential pieces of zing-it splicing gear..... one of those magnifying glass with light thingies, a needle nose to hold the tip of the needle so I can milk the excess, and a rounded larger needle. I use the end of the larger needle where the eye is so I can stretch the initial opening of the bury. Once you can actually start milking the excess, you're good. hope this helps.
    Corey Miller

    "Some ships are designed to sink… others require our assistance."

  6. #6
    Senior Member JohnSawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    4,696
    Images
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by Living the Highlife View Post
    I like to fray the ends a quarter to a half an inch down, using a needle to pull apart the braided lines and cut four or so lines off that way it isn't the "golf ball through a garden hose" method. It is still difficult IMHO, but i find it easier with three essential pieces of zing-it splicing gear..... one of those magnifying glass with light thingies, a needle nose to hold the tip of the needle so I can milk the excess, and a rounded larger needle. I use the end of the larger needle where the eye is so I can stretch the initial opening of the bury. Once you can actually start milking the excess, you're good. hope this helps.
    If you're under 40, buy some cheap +1.5 reading glasses at the dollar store... You'll need them by the time you're 42 anyway...

    John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda


  7. #7
    Redoleary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pennfield Twp, MI
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Posts
    3,184
    Images
    69
    Get a cheap $5 ceramic knife from Harbor Freight and just cut the ends on a long shallow angle.... say over 3/4", thats all the taper you'll need. Quick and easy.
    Good luck,
    RED

    My Youtube Channel

    Deep peace of the running wave to you.
    Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
    Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
    Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
    Deep peace without end to you.
    adapted from - ancient gaelic runes

  8. #8
    Member golfpro1286's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Hammock
    Clark NX250 CAMO
    Tarp
    Clark CAMO Vertex
    Insulation
    Thermorest
    Suspension
    Dutch Buckle/Clip
    Posts
    62
    Quote Originally Posted by Redoleary View Post
    Get a cheap $5 ceramic knife from Harbor Freight and just cut the ends on a long shallow angle.... say over 3/4", thats all the taper you'll need. Quick and easy.
    That sounds pretty easy, I think I will give that a try tomorrow.
    We both know I have to kill you now, you'll just have to imagine the fire!

  9. #9
    SnrMoment's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Billings, MT
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Streamline
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    Posts
    959
    A box knife with a new blade also works, as does a plain razor blade.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

  10. #10
    Senior Member JohnSawyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Posts
    4,696
    Images
    108
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    A box knife with a new blade also works, as does a plain razor blade.
    A utility blade works great. I normally mark up a piece of 2x4 with the lengths and measurements I need and go to town... Though I'd never deny somebody a trip to Harbor Freight Toys...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •