Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 43
  1. #21
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    8,566
    Images
    39
    Are you using 7/64" on both the main line and the prussic?
    If so, try a smaller diameter line for the prussic. When the prussic line is smaller, you generally get a better bite.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  2. #22
    MDSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Snyder, TX
    Hammock
    DIY 30d MARPAT
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod
    Suspension
    ISLS with UCRs
    Posts
    2,175
    This would make a good ridge line or knotted (no bling) suspension system: http://www.sears.com/rothco-olive-dr...SPM6358031201P

    Mike

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Owyhee
    Suspension
    Orange Woopies
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff369 View Post
    I'm experimenting with 7/64 amsteel because I have 150' but I'm having a very difficult time making a prusik hold. Need help. Any suggestions?
    Quote Originally Posted by XSrcing View Post
    Add another turn or two to the prusik or try a klemheist knot.
    Quote Originally Posted by cliff369 View Post
    I've tried both still not much bite.
    I use 7/64 Amsteel for my ridgeline and have a prussic for each end of the tarp. The ridgeline itself I kept the "guts" in the line. For the prussics I gutted them and then used two extra wraps. They hold great, I can loop my finger through and lean on the prussic with my weight and it does not budge, even if I bounce a bit, I figure that is more than tight enough too keep a tarp under tension.

    Amsteel may be overkill, but I know I have 30 feet of it handy if an emergency comes up.

  4. #24
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    I use 7/64 Amsteel for my ridgeline and have a prussic for each end of the tarp. The ridgeline itself I kept the "guts" in the line. For the prussics I gutted them and then used two extra wraps. They hold great, I can loop my finger through and lean on the prussic with my weight and it does not budge, even if I bounce a bit, I figure that is more than tight enough too keep a tarp under tension.

    Amsteel may be overkill, but I know I have 30 feet of it handy if an emergency comes up.
    Amsteel? Guts? Amsteel is hollow braid. O.o

  5. #25
    Senior Member chickenwing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Abbeville, SC
    Hammock
    MYOG 1.1 Double Layer
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY top & U Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,302
    Images
    90
    I am using lash-it for mines.
    and then

    Check out my website www.cwhammocks.com or Find me on the YouTubes
    You can even"Like" me on facebook or follow me on Twitter @cwhammocks

    "In my world everyone is a pony, and they all eat rainbows, and poop butterflies."

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ohio
    Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 DL
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Jarbridge, Owyhee
    Suspension
    Orange Woopies
    Posts
    202
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Amsteel? Guts? Amsteel is hollow braid. O.o
    Neat.

    Except for the Redden stuff that has two strings inside, probably shouldn't have referred to them as guts, at least not in the paracord sense. I really don't think they add much if any girth to the cord, but they are there.

  7. #27
    Eagle Eye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Mount Joy, pa
    Hammock
    Switchback and WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuban w/ Tarp Flyz
    Insulation
    HammockGear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    147
    Always zing-it / lash-it 1.75mm. Plenty strong, super light, easy to splice.

  8. #28
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by termite View Post
    Neat.

    Except for the Redden stuff that has two strings inside, probably shouldn't have referred to them as guts, at least not in the paracord sense. I really don't think they add much if any girth to the cord, but they are there.
    Huh, guess I figured Amsteel was Amsteel, and the stuff I have definitely doesn't have any extras. Lol. Is it the same stuff, or a different material?

  9. #29
    natureboy68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    Posts
    217
    Anyone use braided mason line? Until I can get a hold of some zing it/lash it, that's what my tarp ridge line and guy outs will be

  10. #30
    Kyle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Posts
    537
    Quote Originally Posted by natureboy68 View Post
    Anyone use braided mason line? Until I can get a hold of some zing it/lash it, that's what my tarp ridge line and guy outs will be
    It certainly works, because people do use it, though I didn't like it much. Using it as a ridgeline is certainly less than optimal. It frays pretty easy, so it doesn't get along with bark very well. I ran into the problem of it friction welding in prussics, which obviously is no good. And, being nylon, it stretches, especially when wet - and that's exactly when you don't want a limp tarp! Lol.

    I preferred paracord, however marginally, until I got Zing-It.
    Last edited by Kyle; 09-17-2012 at 18:51.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •