Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 22
  1. #11
    Moderator raiffnuke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pittsfield, MA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DBL, Camo Hideaway, ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Posts
    5,329
    Images
    44
    Great trip report! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!

  2. #12
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,046
    Images
    1
    I think it's time to retire the bugnet for the winter - plenty of mosquitoes but they were too sluggish to bite.

  3. #13
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,046
    Images
    1
    I added a short video for those who prefer visuals. Pics or it didn't happen!

  4. #14
    Oh-No's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Smyrna, DE
    Hammock
    various homemade Speer type
    Tarp
    10' X 11' Cuben
    Insulation
    CCfoam, Down quilt
    Suspension
    various
    Posts
    436
    Images
    9
    Great the Vid., and sense of humor.
    Thanks for sharing.

    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I added a short video for those who prefer visuals. Pics or it didn't happen!

  5. #15
    Senior Member Mr.Tattoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sanford Florida
    Hammock
    WWM,ENO SN, DIY,WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    DOWN :)
    Suspension
    Strap & Whoopie
    Posts
    798
    Looked like a good time and nice report that Porcubear would have had me on alert the rest of the night...

  6. #16
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,046
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tattoo View Post
    Looked like a good time and nice report that Porcubear would have had me on alert the rest of the night...
    Yeah, those beady red eyes staring at me for a half hour just totally creeped me out. It's the unknown that gets the pulse racing. If I could have identified it I would have gotten to sleep much earlier.

  7. #17
    silentorpheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Hammock
    WBBB & DIY
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Posts
    1,040
    Not to hijack too much, but since you were just there, what's the deal with camping in that area, officially? I started looking into the rules for that area - your vid inspired me. But the various bits of info I seem to be able to find on the intarwebs seem to differ slightly from what the 'custodian' told you.

    Closest I can gather there's no camping in the state forest except at the sites, and definitely no camping around Sunfish pond. Once you get into federal land (DWG area seems to qualify?) the rules are different. Add to that the rules for the AT ... that's where it seems to break down and people start to interpret differently.

    Feel free to PM me if you don't want to clutter up your trip report.

  8. #18
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,046
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by silentorpheus View Post
    Not to hijack too much, but since you were just there, what's the deal with camping in that area, officially? I started looking into the rules for that area - your vid inspired me. But the various bits of info I seem to be able to find on the intarwebs seem to differ slightly from what the 'custodian' told you.

    Closest I can gather there's no camping in the state forest except at the sites, and definitely no camping around Sunfish pond. Once you get into federal land (DWG area seems to qualify?) the rules are different. Add to that the rules for the AT ... that's where it seems to break down and people start to interpret differently.

    Feel free to PM me if you don't want to clutter up your trip report.
    I think you have it right - Worthington State Forest you must camp at established sites. The custodian Nazi at site #2 actually took a short cut to spy on me and make sure I didn't camp at Sunfish Pond. The DWG website is pretty clear - you can camp anywhere 50 ft. off the trail, but no more than 100 ft. off.

    Though I never got there, I think there are sites in DWG with bear boxes and latrines.

  9. #19
    New Member geoforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    near O'Hare airport
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty NOAH 12X12
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Posts
    35
    Sounds and looks like an awesome trip

  10. #20
    bundy71's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Pennsville, NJ
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Sewn PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    285
    Sounds awesome SilvrSurfr. Maybe sometime next year I can hook up with you for a few days on the AT up there in North Jersey.
    Scout Master Troop 303, Carneys Point, NJ

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •