WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I've always been curious but it seemed to have more limitations than a TQ / Jacket combo. Interesting to see some of the experiences here though.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    I'm to concerned with wetting, snagging or otherwise damaging my quilt. If there is a way to snag, tear stain or wet it, I'll, with Mr. Murphy's help, find it! I'm with MM, Iuse my down jacket for extra sleeping insulation.
    Exactly ... and yeah burn holes from the fire would be a big downer for me ... no pun intended

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I'm down with this for sure. Seldom if ever do I pull my insulated jacket out until I'm in camp. Sweater or Rain/wind jacket for that short period of rest.

The full length would be out for me, but a Dry Ducks Rain jacket, sized +1 to what you normally wear, will fit nicely over a No Snivler, giving it all the protection it might need from the elements, while in camp. I saw a video on this a while back, and it was all I needed to make up my mind.
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    While I don't have a specific wearable quilt I have used a standard TQ as a wrap in the mornings and have worn it under a large sized Dry Ducks rain jacket. It works and works well. That said I think my use of the setup is limited. I will use this setup for temps from mid-30 to mid-40's. Where I go it is rarely raining and cold enough to wear a puffy layer under a rain shell. So in the rain I would not use this because I don't need it and I would be afraid of getting it wet from either the outside or from the inside. Also I would not wear this hiking as I sweat a lot and would be afraid of wetting it from the inside. Below 30* I want that extra down jacket to supplement my TQ if I need it. This year I'm gong to try the vest/down sleeve combo. So the wearable quilt is really only a morning use item for me in the limited range stated.

S

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    I'm with ya. I made a head hole quilt, and love it. For wearing, I usually throw on my oversized DriDucks on top to protect it. I don't wear puffies while hiking usually, so it's just a camp coat, but a remarkably warm one.

Downside is, bears think I'm much meatier than I actually am

Hammock
    Magic Mexican Flying Carpet
    Tarp
    TrbldAssetRelProg
    Insulation
    fur/wool
    Suspension
    ratstrapped
    Looks like a snuggie on steroids
    nail your shoes to the kitchen floor lace 'em up and bar the door and thank the lucky stars for the roof over you

Images
    i carry wearable quilts when backpacking. i wear my packa over them, but as the OP said he's a backpacker. if i'm hiking to camp or car camping i carry a jacket.
    KK
    "Tenting is equivalent to a bum crawling into a cardboard box, hammocking is an art" KK

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post

Oh. Forgot the obvious counter to carrying something like the Exped. Carry the camp coat but plan on sleeping in it; subtracting the warmth it gives you from what you need in a TQ/UQ and carry less of them
    Quote Originally Posted by millergear View Post
    I'm to concerned with wetting, snagging or otherwise damaging my quilt. If there is a way to snag, tear stain or wet it, I'll, with Mr. Murphy's help, find it! I'm with MM, Iuse my down jacket for extra sleeping insulation.
    I have really been tempted by the wearable TQ ( not UQ ) approach, but have not pulled the trigger yet. In the mean time I have used the counter approach mentioned above.

Examples: more than once I have
    1: used my puffy camp clothing ( jacket and/or vest and pants) inside a Pea Pod. I either wear it normally, or better yet put my arms through the sleeves while wearing the jacket or vest or maybe both backwards. This method somehow really gets maximum loft to nicely fill the top gap on the Pea Pod and has allowed me to make it through in the 20s with out even a summer weight TQ. Worked good, but I think a summer weight TQ would work even better, be easier and more luxurious plus maybe make for a warmer camp jacket. At least it would have more loft, though it might not close up as nice as a hooded jacket. IOW, the TQ would probably make a better TQ, but a zippered, hooded jacket might make the better jacket. But, you can add sleeves and a hood to the JRB quilts.

2: When I have adequately warm TQ, I have put the "wear in camp" down vest or Climashield or fleece jacket down into the bottom of the HH Super Shelter for a very significant boost.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-20-2012 at 20:17.

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have and love the Exped 650 for its warmth and versatility...

However, echoing some of the other comments, I fear use:
    - around the fire
    - sitting on irregular/dirty surfaces
    - using the knife, whittling, etc.
    - carrying wood or other potentially snaggy items

Brings up the question of what folks wear around camp so they don't have to worry about this stuff?

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Dignity! What dignity?
    Attachment 39860
    post of the day! I love it...kind of a midevil look you got going on...
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast