Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Images

Hanging at Sandy Hook, NJ

Sandy Hook, part of the Gateway National Recreation Area, has apparently opened itself up to the general public for camping (for a fee). Previously, the camping was only available for Scouts and non-profits. I camped there a couple of times with the Scouts and it was quite beautiful.

Sandy Hook is also home to Gunnison Beach, one of the largest "clothing-optional" beaches in the Northeast. There's also Ft. Hancock, a former Nike Missile site.

I'm gonna go check it out this week, talk to the rangers, etc., and see how they feel about hammock hanging. Sandy Hook is a beautiful ecosystem, a narrow strip (called a barrier spit) of land jutting into Raritan Bay on the west and the Atlantic Ocean east. It's a bird-watcher's paradise - I saw my first peregrine falcon at Sandy Hook.

Hammock
    Bias Weenie
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Mamba
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Images
    It's a great place to camp. Camped with the scouts there as well. I use to live in the Twin Lights Condos overlooking the Navesink River and then lived right next door to the Clam Hut in town. I can't wait to here your report maybe a NJ Spring Hang in the works?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, DIY tablecloth, WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    diy, tewa, speer
    Suspension
    whooooopie
    That its great news! I'll be there hanging sometime soon. Finally a place that is less than an hour away where I can camp, and near the beach to boot. Oh yea

I am actually about to send me resume here. Hopefully nail a job in resource management there. Would loooove that!
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Sewn PLUQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    Sounds interesting. I wonder if there are enough trees there, or would a hammock stand be needed.
    Scout Master Troop 303, Carneys Point, NJ

Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Images
    Plenty of trees - however, I noticed they prohibit hammocks in their brochure. I'm going to go talk to them and utilize my arts of persuasion.

Hammock
    Bias Weenie
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    Phoenix/Mamba
    Suspension
    Tree Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Plenty of trees - however, I noticed they prohibit hammocks in their brochure. I'm going to go talk to them and utilize my arts of persuasion.
    Not surprised. When people think hammock first thing they think is rope tied around trees or hooks screwed into the bark.