Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #11
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    5,252
    Images
    196
    I just got back a month ago from hiking with Shewie and some of the other BC hangers around Braemar (Scotland Highlands). I had a stock BB bug net and I was midge free. I did have a top cover but it is not form fitted and it was not what was keeping them out. I heard about how they can get through the net but it held them at bay. BTW take a head net, gloves, and avon's skin so soft.
    Last edited by Dutch; 09-21-2012 at 11:34.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com

    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

    8th Annual Mt Rogers Winter Hang Spreadsheet

  2. #12
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    5,252
    Images
    196
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com

    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

    8th Annual Mt Rogers Winter Hang Spreadsheet

  3. #13
    mbiraman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Kootenays,BC,Canada
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Posts
    4,366
    Images
    7
    If midges are getting through noseeum netting then you have my sympathy.

    bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

    “The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

    www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

  4. #14

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I just got back a month ago from hiking with Shewie and some of the other BC hangers around Braemar (Scotland Highlands). I had a stock BB bug net and I was midge free. I did have a top cover but it is not form fitted and it was not what was keeping them out. I heard about how they can get through the net but it held them at bay. BTW take a head net, gloves, and avon's skin so soft.
    Maybe the buggers are just the size to sometimes be able to push their way through the netting. In that case, it would probably make the problem a noseeum netting batch related one. I.e. if you're lucky, the stock netting will be fine. If you're not and your WBBB has a net made of the "wrong" batch, the midges will have a meal...
    Thanks for the advice on the "dress code", Dutch. I'm going to make very sure I follow that.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Nows that's exactly what I'm fearing to meet ( *shiver* ). I'm one of those guys all the stinging and biting insects just love to get a piece of. If nobody else in the group so much as sees an insect, normally it's because the little critters are all busy poking holes into me.

  5. #15
    Shewie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Yorkshire, UK
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    UKHamm/HG/Unspon
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Posts
    1,678
    Hi Karl

    The net I had fitted in my BB was junk, it only lasted a few trips before pulling apart in various places. Brandon said when he did it that it was horrid to work with and wasn't sure if it would last, he was right. It was good netting for other applications like bug jackets etc, but over the ridgeline on my BB and the packing away just killed it.
    I'm not sure if it's an option but nano-seeum is what you really need to keep them out, Dutch said he had no trouble when he was over but I did have that one experience on Loch Shiel when they were climbing through the weave.

    I've just had my BB modded again by Mat at UKHammocks, it's now got nano-seeum fitted but I've not had chance to try it yet, my last trip was on the deck.

    You could try and spray your BB with permethrin if you have any, failing that just wear a headnet to bed and try not to watch them

    Have a great trip, it's a beautiful place

  6. #16
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    5,252
    Images
    196
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Maybe the buggers are just the size to sometimes be able to push their way through the netting. In that case, it would probably make the problem a noseeum netting batch related one. I.e. if you're lucky, the stock netting will be fine. If you're not and your WBBB has a net made of the "wrong" batch, the midges will have a meal...
    Thanks for the advice on the "dress code", Dutch. I'm going to make very sure I follow that.



    Nows that's exactly what I'm fearing to meet ( *shiver* ). I'm one of those guys all the stinging and biting insects just love to get a piece of. If nobody else in the group so much as sees an insect, normally it's because the little critters are all busy poking holes into me.
    My tights worked well because they will enter any opening. They could not bit through and my socks were tucked in. However they found Thor way in at my wrists and above my butt.
    Scotland is the furtherest north the Roman empire advanced. The apparently didn't have the right bug netting.
    Last edited by Dutch; 09-22-2012 at 11:28.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com

    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

    8th Annual Mt Rogers Winter Hang Spreadsheet

  7. #17

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Hi Karl

    The net I had fitted in my BB was junk, it only lasted a few trips before pulling apart in various places. Brandon said when he did it that it was horrid to work with and wasn't sure if it would last, he was right. It was good netting for other applications like bug jackets etc, but over the ridgeline on my BB and the packing away just killed it.
    I'm not sure if it's an option but nano-seeum is what you really need to keep them out, Dutch said he had no trouble when he was over but I did have that one experience on Loch Shiel when they were climbing through the weave.

    I've just had my BB modded again by Mat at UKHammocks, it's now got nano-seeum fitted but I've not had chance to try it yet, my last trip was on the deck.

    You could try and spray your BB with permethrin if you have any, failing that just wear a headnet to bed and try not to watch them

    Have a great trip, it's a beautiful place
    Shewie, that's food for thoughts, that is.
    Seems like the easiest and safest solution would be a hammock with nano-seeum built in. Which Mat at UKHammocks happens to offer. Those Woodsman X's he's got look mighty fine. Not that I really need another hammock, but...


    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    Scotland is the furtheredt north the Roman empire advanced. The apparently didn't have the right big netting.

  8. #18

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Haworth, UK
    Hammock
    DangerBird
    Tarp
    HG Custom Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ, TQ & PeaPod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    Posts
    102
    I have my Dangerbird fitted with nano-seeum and was on the same trip as Shewie & Dutch and had no problem with midges getting through.

    But, because of nano-seeum's sheerness (is this even a word?), It does ladder easier than the standard noseeum.

    Think of it, and treat it like womens stokings

    P.s. I've been looking at the woodsman X too, trying hard to resist.
    Last edited by trunks; 09-21-2012 at 17:14.

  9. #19

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Posts
    142
    Quote Originally Posted by trunks View Post
    I have my Dangerbird fitted with nano-seeum and was on the same trip as Shewie & Dutch and had no problem with midges getting through.
    Good news on the nano-seeum netting, that is.

    Quote Originally Posted by trunks View Post
    But, because of nano-seeum's sheerness (is this even a word?), It does ladder easier than the standard noseeum.

    Think of it, and treat it like woman's stokings
    Oh dear, this is all getting much too exciting for me now

  10. #20
    New Member whazzzup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Oslo,Norway
    Hammock
    warbonnet traveler & eno DN
    Tarp
    D;Y;I
    Insulation
    incubator 0 deg
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Posts
    48

    bug net

    hope this helps i live in Norway and we have those little buggers here i have the stock bug net from brandon i use it with my W DL T and it dont let em in i was a bit worried at first cause they are so small and were all around me but a fire helps they dont like smoke inside the netting it was totally midge free all night happy trails mate...

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •