Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Hammock
    Hennessy Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Posts
    332

    My first ever REAL hammock hang.

    A pair of posts from my blog about my first ever hammock trip, back in april.

    Going to redeem myself in a few weeks, I hope, when I return.

    http://theosus1.wordpress.com/2012/0...-in-the-woods/

    http://theosus1.wordpress.com/2012/0...ertown-valley/

  2. #2
    Member MadWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies /straps
    Posts
    61
    Images
    2
    Great write ups. I really enjoyed reading them. You can do all the research you like, and read all the great info on here and other sites, and listen to people talk, and read books, but nothing, NOTHING, enlightens you like doing. My first overnight in a hammock was a year ago and I learned ALOT. I remember laying in my hammock and the info I had read on here would start going through my mind, this time accompanied by little light bulbs and "OHHHH, I see". Again, really enjoyed your blog entries....Thank you for sharing.

  3. #3
    SkyPainter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Stoneham, MA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; WB RidgeRunner; HH Ex
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Camo
    Insulation
    AHE: HG T&UQ: Lynx
    Suspension
    Multiple Types
    Posts
    2,578
    Images
    28
    Welcome to the insanity! Nice write-ups, and it sounds like a great group adventure. If you have actually made a cat can stove, you're hooked. Hope to see you at some of our group hangs sometime, and WELCOM TO THE TREES!

    ~ Sky
    SkyPainter - "... and then the police came."

    All these years people said,"He's acting like a kid!"
    He did not know that he could not fly, and so, he DID!

    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

    "Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run! He hates that!"

    My outdoorsy YouTube channel is: "WMICommissioner"

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Hammock
    Hennessy Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyPainter View Post
    Welcome to the insanity! Nice write-ups, and it sounds like a great group adventure. If you have actually made a cat can stove, you're hooked. Hope to see you at some of our group hangs sometime, and WELCOM TO THE TREES!

    ~ Sky
    Definitely hooked. Made the cat stove and a copy of the caldera cone from aluminum flashing. Looking at making a top quilt, since the underquilt came out so nicely.
    A group hang sounds great!

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colfax, Ca
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end hammock
    Suspension
    Straps & whoopie
    Posts
    647
    In the first post you mentions "Hammock Tent". Did you just mean a hammock with a tarp?

    Also you mentioned sleeping cold. Did you try a lightweight foam pad under you? I've slept quite comfortably in temps down in the 40's with just a pad under me and a sleeping bag on top (not inside the sleeping bag like you would normally do).

    Also, did you actually hike barefoot? That's serious! I've never tried doing that. I have switched out my heavy hiking boots for lightweight hiking shoes but barefoot is pretty extreme.

  6. #6
    grannypat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    In the woods outside of Westminster, SC
    Hammock
    DIY, HH Exped BE
    Tarp
    Tadpole/Purple Pal
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Posts
    2,755
    Made me laugh! Thanks for sharing.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Florence, SC
    Hammock
    Hennessy Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Posts
    332
    Quote Originally Posted by GregB View Post
    In the first post you mentions "Hammock Tent". Did you just mean a hammock with a tarp?

    Also you mentioned sleeping cold. Did you try a lightweight foam pad under you? I've slept quite comfortably in temps down in the 40's with just a pad under me and a sleeping bag on top (not inside the sleeping bag like you would normally do).

    Also, did you actually hike barefoot? That's serious! I've never tried doing that. I have switched out my heavy hiking boots for lightweight hiking shoes but barefoot is pretty extreme.
    By "hammock tent" I meant a Hennessy Hammock. Most of my friends and coworkers seem to think "hammock camping" involves one of those giant things in the backyard made of white rope.

    I didn't have the pad on the first trip. I tried one on my second trip. Worked better. Finally made an underquilt which I'll use next weekend.

    Yes I tried barefooting. It was fun on the easier parts and made water crossing nice. But I only did a few miles. It got rather painful at some points.

  8. #8
    tweety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Eugene Oregon
    Hammock
    Tree2Tree Switchback..Pink Panther
    Tarp
    AHE Toxiway Lylac!
    Insulation
    Golite top/BF UQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Dutch Clip
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    A pair of posts from my blog about my first ever hammock trip, back in april.

    Going to redeem myself in a few weeks, I hope, when I return.

    http://theosus1.wordpress.com/2012/0...-in-the-woods/

    http://theosus1.wordpress.com/2012/0...ertown-valley/
    Very nice! Congrats!
    I just went on my first ever real backpacking/hammock trip last weekend, too! Loved it

    T
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LIVE.. LOVE.. LAUGH... AND DRIVE BF CRAZY!!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •