Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I just put a circle around head end of bishop bag with a silver "marks a lot"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCoyote View Post
    My next hammock is a Dangerbird 60 Idk weather to get a single layer or double layer. I wont use a pad often, but not sure how much that second layer helps. Anyone wanna lend some advice on that predicament?

Jeremy
    A couple of points to ponder: you'll likely have slightly more warmth in a double layer. Not enough that you're likely to notice; however, air cooling will be slightly less (hotter on a hot night, less cooling on a cold night). It will help ward off mosquito's biting through (I have heard of it happening on a single layer, if no UQ - hot night), but highly unlikely with a double. And finally, likely less stretch from the taffeta fabric when two layers are used...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    GoLite, Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by unm1136 View Post
    Well, I have had this thing for a few weeks now, and I got to use it for the first time this weekend at a Church Retreat at the Humming bird Music Camp in the Jemez. I just want to say that forgetting light and trying to put an underquilt and UQP on for the first time in the dark is a pain in the bells.

I know that I should have set it up in the backyard, first, but I really don't have anything to hang from in the back yard. Whatever I did would just make me want to climb in, and none of my yardly structures can support me in my hammock.

This is not my first hammocking trip. You may (or may not) have seen this:http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=55389

Anyway I decided that the HH was too small for me, and I started pricing the ones for the bigger boys. I am 6'2 190. Given the price and availability of the big boy hammocks I figured that the DangerBird would be ideal. Weight and price wise this came in very close (fractions of a dollar and fractions of an ounce) to that of the HH models that would work for a leggy six+ footer. What is not to like? Long, Wide, Bugnet, Overcover, Whoopies, and still choices. Papa Smurf was VERY helpful, usually answering emails within a day, and occasionally within five minutes. If anyone cares mine was #140.

The hammock is Olive Brown, and it is a DB 68. It is a double layer 1.1 ripstop beast. On my scale it weighs 33.375 oz, complete with suspension. The over cover is black. I got the hammock up in the woods and took a 20 minute nap. It was great. It solved the cramped feeling that my HH gave me. That 20 minute nap was my only sleep for about 26 hours, so I likely could have slept anywhere and been fine.

Whoopies rule! Much quicker and easier to use than the HH set up, and I kept my hammock off the ground while setting up. I timed myself, 7 minutes to set it up the first time. Sub five the second time when I had to move it. Used limb scraps from the forest floor for my toggles on the Marlin Spike Hitch.

Two Views

The attention to detail on this thing is amazing, from the sliding pull outs to allow asym with either end being the head or right/left, to the peak bags that contain the overcover and bugnet, and the ridgebag is work of art. The peak bags are small enough to be out of the way, even with holding their payloads, and my 2QZQ peak bag fits.

Peak bag

The Ridge Bag

It is hard to tell but the ridge bag is holding my Oakleys, my Nook Color Tablet, 4 assorted sizes of Hot hands, my cell phone, and it still has an empty pocket.

The underquilt is a HG 20 degree Phoenix, and it was wonderful. I had to put it on for the first time in the dark, and managed OK. The UQP had a similar learning curve, but I noted that the grossgain tabs on it match up with the reflective tabs on the hammock, so I think some micro biners will be in order. With this combination I was comfortable to a forecast 50 degrees without a topquilt or sleeping bag for most of the night. I can't wait to try this in November when the forecast is for the mid to upper 20s. Even with the UQP in place I was easily able to reach in and shift the underquilt around.

My learning curve with hammocks is continuing. I need to mark the Bishops bag with something to denote a net head and a cover head. I gave one of my tree straps 8 inches so my feet would be elevated, but when I set up my hammock I stuck the peak bag with the net on that side, designating it as the foot end. I kept sliding toward that end of the hammock most of the night. Once I figured out what was wrong I gave up my need to be next to the closed zipper end, and switched end to end without getting out of the hammock, and slept like a baby. This hammock is big enough for me to lay flat asym, it gave me no foot, calf or knee pressure, and I slept great. Last pic is my carriage system

A synthetic Slumberjack 20 degree tall bag, the hammock, quilt, UQP, ground tarp, treehuggers, their respective stuff sacks, and a stocking cap, all in a Kifaru Ultralight Large Pod. This is my bedroom. Weighs 9.6 pounds. Hoping to go to a topquilt, as the sleeping bag is just over four pounds. I can likely get all this stuff in a medium pod when I go to a topquilt or Mountain Serape. There is still room for assorted stuffing in the Large Pod. The pod locks on to my backpack like it was built to be there.

If you are on the fence about the DangerBird, jump off. This a great hammock if you are tall, and the 1.1 ripstop variant is much lighter in weight, great for backpacking. Once I settle on a tarp, life will be very good.
    Love this one! Colors are great. Trying to decide between this one or the ACU. Thanks

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Where'd you get the UQP? How much?

Hammock
    DB68
    Tarp
    Still Deciding
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    2qZq, $40.00

Great to deal with.

pat

Hammock
    DB68
    Tarp
    Still Deciding
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    This last weekend I had a catestrophic failure of my UQP. We were on a scouting trip, and hanging near a rocky streambed where hammocks were the only option. I could't find a place to pitch a tent within 600 yards or so. It was really tough to find trees that would supplort a hammock. We were pitched about a foot off the ground, and when I went to climb into the hammock I had a problem. I had attached my UQP to my hammock via the gossgain on the UQP which matched perfectly to the reflective tabs on my hammock. As I climbed into my hammock one of the rocks I was standing on shifted, and I fell. My hand caught the UQP and my UQ and missed the hammock completely. The UQ and UQP went to the ground, shredding the end of th UQP and making it useless. Closer examination revealed no damage to the hammock ($250), nor to the underquilt ($195). So the UQP, the lowest cost item of the bunch gave way. It actually looks like a lighter and a larks head hitch will restore it to the intended function. I wil try repairing it next week so that it will be ready for my hunt next month.

pat

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    2qZq, $40.00

Great to deal with.

pat

This last weekend I had a catestrophic failure of my UQP. We were on a scouting trip, and hanging near a rocky streambed where hammocks were the only option. I could't find a place to pitch a tent within 600 yards or so. It was really tough to find trees that would supplort a hammock. We were pitched about a foot off the ground, and when I went to climb into the hammock I had a problem. I had attached my UQP to my hammock via the gossgain on the UQP which matched perfectly to the reflective tabs on my hammock. As I climbed into my hammock one of the rocks I was standing on shifted, and I fell. My hand caught the UQP and my UQ and missed the hammock completely. The UQ and UQP went to the ground, shredding the end of th UQP and making it useless. Closer examination revealed no damage to the hammock ($250), nor to the underquilt ($195). So the UQP, the lowest cost item of the bunch gave way. It actually looks like a lighter and a larks head hitch will restore it to the intended function. I wil try repairing it next week so that it will be ready for my hunt next month.

pat
    Actually the UQP is $35.00 shipped CONUSA.

Pat, send us a pic of the damage...maybe I can fix it for you. PM for an e-mail address if you don't have ours anymore. ZQ
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Actually the UQP is $35.00 shipped CONUSA.

Pat, send us a pic of the damage...maybe I can fix it for you. PM for an e-mail address if you don't have ours anymore. ZQ
    Top notch service. Pulled the trigger for 3 of them for the wet winter ahead.

Thanks for the review. This is a very intriguing hammock!

Hammock
    DB68
    Tarp
    Still Deciding
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post

Very generous. I have a hunt coming up, and it was my own stupid fault. Upon inspection a lighter cleaned up the edge and the only real damage with the gossgain was pulled off and the shock cord was broken. I realized the next day how cold November was going to be glassing on a hillside before sunup in the wind. I also realized that attaching my UQP to the hammock was a bad move on multiple levels. First off, when I fell off the rock and caught my underquilt on the way down I realized that the shock cord protected my underquilt, and securing my UQP to the hammock is what broke my UQP. It was the oak in the wind, not the willow. Secondly, I can put my UQP and quilt in my pack and use it to cover my lap as I sit on a sit pad to keep warm in the wind and rain. If the quilt and UQP are attached to my hammock they can't keep me warm as a sort of lap blanket on the hillside.

It took me less than 15 minutes to repair the damage to my satisfaction, and I will have the UQP for my hunt in 3 weeks.

Thank you for the offer, you have cemented yourselves as my source for UQPs, ridge bags, and tarp mods for a long time to come. I have two other hammocks in the family right now, and I want UQPs for them.

pat

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12