Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/IX
    Suspension
    dynaglide/straps
    Images

Straps

I have noticed that Strapworks seems to be the choice supplier of straps here. I have been to website and my question is, do you order two straps with loops at both ends or do you order a long strap and just cut it in half?
    - Gary -

"Nice Pen, I Bet It Writes Some Really Nice Stories"

Hammock
    GTUL or Tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    Kelty 9' footprint
    Insulation
    Pad + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    I've purchased straps from here and had a very good experience: http://www.whtmtindsew.com/
    The owner is a member of the forum here and sells some straps specifically for hammocking.

Hammock
    WB Traveler, WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    HG & WL
    Suspension
    webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryBunk View Post
    I have noticed that Strapworks seems to be the choice supplier of straps here. I have been to website and my question is, do you order two straps with loops at both ends or do you order a long strap and just cut it in half?
    I wish I thought of that when I ordered my 15' straps. Good idea.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps & Rings
    Images
    Dutchware offers a 25 ft strap that they will cut in half and sew loops into the ends of. Great price, great straps, less bulk than Strapworks (I have both)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ&UQ quilts
    I order mine, straps from strapworks, 25' long and two 3" loops on the ends. The 3" loops are a lot easier to thread the rest of the strap through than the 1" strap on my Blackbird. I then cut them in half and flame the cut, to keep them from unraveling. It has worked very well for me but, if you live in a place with larger trees you may want to go longer.
    "In your face space coyote"-HJS

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    DIY KAQ + Down TQ
    Suspension
    WS + Dutch Buckles
    Images
    I also bought straps from Strapworks and was pleased with the quality. These straps are relatively heavy, though. I got the 1" polyester seatbelt straps, which are supposed to be lighter than the standard polyester, and they weigh 0.37 oz/ft. My understanding is that standard polyester straps from Strapworks weigh just under 0.5 oz/ft. My stock Warbonnet straps weigh 0.25 oz/ft. And a set of polyester straps that I bought from Arrowhead weigh only 0.21 oz/ft.

The reason for the large difference in weight is that the Strapworks standard polyester straps have a rated load of 3800 lbs, as compared to a rated load of 1000 lbs for the Arrowhead straps. Since I hang my hammock at a 30* sag, and the weight of everything in the hammock is well under 200 lbs, I figure the Arrowhead straps give me a solid 5:1 safety margin, and they have very roughly the same load rating as my 7/64" Amsteel whoopies. Therefore, I concluded that the Strapworks straps were overkill and just added unnecessary weight to my rig. YMMV.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    CCS
    As far as cutting the strap in half, I would suggest cutting it into different lengths for the two ends. Make the shorter one sufficient for the normal tree in your area and then you have a longer one for the case where you need to use a larger tree. No way to use the extra from one end on the other tree.

For my area, a 6' tree strap is sufficient for most trees, so cutting a 15' strap into a 6' and 9' would provide a lot more flexibility than two 7.5 footers.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

Wood Stove Review Project Thread - http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=46450
    Tracking Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...TZlVUtBNGQtU0E