Thread: Syos?

Images

Syos?

My old singer has taken a dive, repair is estimated at $100, it was a school model I bought 15 years ago and didn't pay much more for it. I am looking for a replacement machine now. Looking for your feedback... I am not looking for a general "sound out" for what machine you use.

Is there a preferred machine for sewing hammocks, tarps, TQ UQ and general hammock gear. What makes it a preferred machine? I want to know what are the features I should be looking for and what's not important.

Let's say you fell into a couple of bucks and where looking to go with a used machine.

Best under $100
    Best $100- $200
    Best over $200

Thanks for all your help!

Wes
    Last edited by swankfly; 10-01-2012 at 16:39.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I found 2 (Singer 201 and 347) at GoodWill that were in great condition and both cost less than $30 together. I've seen several at yardsales also cheap. Mine are all straight stitch, but they do everything I want. My 201 is from the forties and weighs in at over 30 pounds and will sew double layer straps without a hiccup. I know this doesn't answer all your questions, but I have enjoyed my older and cheap all metal machines over the newer plastic ones.

My 201 has sewn everything from tarps (silnylon) to double layer hammocks and underquilts. My sister wants to sew her clothes on it, but I won't let her use it. I've told her it's for outdoor gear only.

I bet RamblinRev will join in and answer more completely than I have on what brands to look for.
    Last edited by Lost_Biker; 10-01-2012 at 14:34. Reason: duh

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    I found 2 (Singer 201 and 347) at GoodWill that were in great condition and both cost less than $30 together. I've seen several at yardsales also cheap. Mine are all straight stitch, but they do everything I want. My 201 is from the forties and weighs in at over 30 pounds and will sew double layer straps without a hiccup. I know this doesn't answer all your questions, but I have enjoyed my older and cheap all metal machines over the newer plastic ones.

My 201 has sewn everything from tarps (silnylon) to double layer hammocks and underquilts. My sister wants to sew her clothes on it, but I won't let her use it. I've told her it's for outdoor gear only.

I bet RamblinRev will join in and answer more completely than I have on what brands to look for.
    Thanks for the advice

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I thought for sure someone would have expanded on my ramblings. I do know many here have older machines like the 40's - 60's singers with metal gears. Just do a search for Singer sewing machines or just thread injectors here in the forums. Yeah- I just did a search for "thread injectors" and got 3 pages of thread injector types. So give that a try.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    Sorry. I was off this weekend watching the Highland Games in Bethlehem, PA.

Sorry to disappoint, but I do not play the brand game. For a new machine, yeah I could chime in on that, but you're talking far more than you would want to spend for a gear banger. Check out my "guidelines" post in my sig. Other have found it helpful.

Used machines are like used cars. Each has a different history and different issues to deal with. A "low end" machine that has been that has been taken care of properly will be a different beastie than a "high end" machine that has been stored in a garage attic exposed to the ocean mist.

Cost of used machines is like anything else. It depends on the market area, the market type and how much the owner wants tio get for it. For a used machine I think your best bet is to ignore the brand amd look at the overall condition of the machines available.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Me too, I thought for sure someone would be telling me, don't waste your money on this feature, machine, etc....or man if I had it to do over again I would have bought this machine...

I'll figure it out.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swankfly View Post
    Me too, I thought for sure someone would be telling me, don't waste your money on this feature, machine, etc....or man if I had it to do over again I would have bought this machine...

I'll figure it out.
    All you _need_ is a straight stitch. Reverse is nice and for the most part any machines still around will have it. But you might find a few old work horses without it. Zig zag is totally expendable but can be handy in specific applications. Some folks use zig zag of bartacks. I will at times but not always. The only time I always use it is finishing a edge so it doesn't ravel and buttonholes. But even then there are workarounds.

The most important feature is the availability of parts. Beyond that... unless you want puppies or daisies on the hems of you tarps... all you are required to have is a straight stitch. Every thing else has a workaround.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Read RamblinRev's sticky at the top of this page... I sure learned a lot from that. I did break all the rules though... Bought one of questionable origins from a yard sale and got lucky...

• + New Posts