Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 128
  1. #41
    Skygzr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    St.Louis, MO
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear UQ,TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    I think John Schultz Friday night and Browns Hollow for Saturday...this campsite is huge and can accommodate a lot of hammocks!
    that is what we did last year and it worked great. Here is the video from last year

    http://youtu.be/ViWDRUux3_c
    "nature speaks in the silence between words"
    www.mustexplore.blogspot.com

  2. #42
    Traverson's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Mt. Vernon, Iowa
    Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DD
    Tarp
    SF,CB
    Insulation
    Incubator, lynx
    Suspension
    WB straps
    Posts
    213
    I will be there Saturday for sure, I might be able to come up after work on Friday.

  3. #43
    hikingdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Richmond, WI
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,537
    Here is the updated list

    List of members attending:
    Hikingdad
    Hangin Yankee
    Hangin Yankees brother
    Cryothewild
    Bigjake (plus friend)
    Static4841
    Pizza
    JerryW (saturday)
    Hawkeye Hanger (Saturday/maybe Friday)
    Trees4Me
    Ras50707 (Saturday)


    Maybe attending:
    Passinthru
    Doody
    polymath2718
    Skygzr
    Snipen

    I will be heading down there around 3pm on Friday, so I wont get there until after dark Friday night... so save me a good spot

  4. #44
    Trees4Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Delavan,Wisconsin
    Hammock
    WL Snipe/Modded ENO DN
    Tarp
    SOOPAFLY/WLTadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 3/4 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    Posts
    80
    So first off let me say Hi! As you all can see its my first post. The coincidence of me finding this thread is crazy! So I am totally new to hammock camping. I bought a Double Nest in September for a solo I did in the Boundary waters. I just wanted it for a place to relax after a long day of Paddiling. I ended sleeping in it a few nights cuase it was so **** comfortable! So when I came home I did some googling, watched some of Shug's videos, and in turn found this site. So I've been considering trying some winter camping. And this mourning at work I thought of a great place I could go try it out. A place that on a summer camping trip with my wife, we decided to go check out and see if it would be good for a future camping trip. That place was..... You guessed it The Yellow River State Forrest! So this mourning I put winter into the the forum search. And what do I see under the results....Yellow River Forrest Hang! WIERD! So I feel like I have to show up. Sometimes the planets align. Sorry for being long winded, but I also wanted to add that when I checked it out in the summer. It was really dry! And the creek at Browns hollow was non exsistent. So it's a good possibility it's still dry, and you'll need to pack in your water.

  5. #45
    BigJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East Moline, IL
    Hammock
    eno DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    122
    Welcome to hammock forums! Looking forward to meeting you.

  6. #46
    hikingdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Richmond, WI
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,537
    Quote Originally Posted by Trees4Me View Post
    So first off let me say Hi! As you all can see its my first post. The coincidence of me finding this thread is crazy! So I am totally new to hammock camping. I bought a Double Nest in September for a solo I did in the Boundary waters. I just wanted it for a place to relax after a long day of Paddiling. I ended sleeping in it a few nights cuase it was so **** comfortable! So when I came home I did some googling, watched some of Shug's videos, and in turn found this site. So I've been considering trying some winter camping. And this mourning at work I thought of a great place I could go try it out. A place that on a summer camping trip with my wife, we decided to go check out and see if it would be good for a future camping trip. That place was..... You guessed it The Yellow River State Forrest! So this mourning I put winter into the the forum search. And what do I see under the results....Yellow River Forrest Hang! WIERD! So I feel like I have to show up. Sometimes the planets align. Sorry for being long winded, but I also wanted to add that when I checked it out in the summer. It was really dry! And the creek at Browns hollow was non exsistent. So it's a good possibility it's still dry, and you'll need to pack in your water.

    Welcome! I'll add you to the list! Looking forward to meeting you and all the other people who I haven't had the pleasure of meeting yet!

  7. #47
    Trees4Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Delavan,Wisconsin
    Hammock
    WL Snipe/Modded ENO DN
    Tarp
    SOOPAFLY/WLTadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 3/4 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    Posts
    80
    Thanks for the welcomes. It sounds like it should be a great time! I have a lot to learn from you guys I'm sure. All the info on this site or any forum is enough to make anybody's head spin. I'll make any date you guys choose work. But November might work better for me. Think I'm gonna have to go ahead and order a Superfly. I'm not sure the basic square tarp I have now will keep me sheltered enough.

  8. #48
    BigJake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    East Moline, IL
    Hammock
    eno DN
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20° Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    122
    The date is set for Nov. 9, 10, & 11.

    I love my Superfly. Had it rigged in porch mode in the BWCA last month, so I could look out at the lake. There's no better way to wake up than looking at a lake from the hammock.

    Todd



    Quote Originally Posted by Trees4Me View Post
    Thanks for the welcomes. It sounds like it should be a great time! I have a lot to learn from you guys I'm sure. All the info on this site or any forum is enough to make anybody's head spin. I'll make any date you guys choose work. But November might work better for me. Think I'm gonna have to go ahead and order a Superfly. I'm not sure the basic square tarp I have now will keep me sheltered enough.

  9. #49
    Trees4Me's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Delavan,Wisconsin
    Hammock
    WL Snipe/Modded ENO DN
    Tarp
    SOOPAFLY/WLTadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ 3/4 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Straps or Whoopies
    Posts
    80
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJake View Post
    The date is set for Nov. 9, 10, & 11.

    I love my Superfly. Had it rigged in porch mode in the BWCA last month, so I could look out at the lake. There's no better way to wake up than looking at a lake from the hammock.

    Todd
    Yeah that's what hooked me! I had Gun lake all to myself and was woke by the warmth of the sun and sounds of the loons! Well were gonna have to share some BW stories around the camp fire. I'm guessin g some of the other guys will have some BW or Quetico stories as well.

  10. #50
    Senior Member Hangin'Yankee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Waterloo, IA
    Hammock
    DIY, Warbonnet, Eno
    Tarp
    HG WinterPalace
    Insulation
    Incubator, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Posts
    365
    Images
    32
    Hey guys,
    I can fill you in on the water situation.

    Camp John Schultz is dry, you'll have to pack your water in. There is a spigot at the park HQ parking lot. This is only 20-30 minutes down the hill from John Schultz.

    The pine forest at John Schultz is not as nice as it once was as they did some logging back in the spring.

    The creek at Brown's Hollow is bone dry. My brother and I could cache several gallons of water at the entrance to the Brown's Hollow trail right off of the firetower road.

    Heffern's Hill is a big site that would also work well for the group and has a creek(flowing) that is 5 minutes from the camp site.

    HY
    “Somebody told me it was frightening how much topsoil we are losing each year, but I told that story around the campfire and nobody got scared” - Jack Handy

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •