Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware

Can i modify my incubator into a top quilt?

I have the 20 degree incubator. Thinking about getting a 0 degree underquilt and using the 20 degree as a top quilt for wint
    er. Will this work? Is there any easy modification I can do make a foot box? I still want to use this as an underquilt, just want more options....

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Tarp
    Ogee / UGQ B.A.T.
    Insulation
    HG Inc-BE / Wiggys
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    I have the 20 degree incubator. Thinking about getting a 0 degree underquilt and using the 20 degree as a top quilt for wint
    er. Will this work? Is there any easy modification I can do make a foot box? I still want to use this as an underquilt, just want more options....
    Some testing would be required. I would start by cinching the end with the leg shelf (less loft on one end based on the current design). I would then use a piece of shock cord on one of the tie out points close to the cinched end and use that to form the foot box. If you happen to be a small statured person this should work fine. Most top quilts are 48" or more wide at the shoulders and I think the incubator is only 45" wide at the mid point and it tapers to each end.

I would also think that using a 20F topquilt in combination with a 0F underquilt won't get you to that 0F rating without supplementation of extra clothing layers.

That being said, I firmly believe all things are worth testing. Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 10-06-2012 at 09:20.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Eastern Great Lakes Trip Planning Announcement thread. Subscribe to keep informed on upcoming group hangs in this area.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest, GoLite Jam 50L
    Tarp
    Chinook 12'x9'6"
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie, ASR
    HG Quilts are valuable. Before I modified it too heavily I would consider selling it, then putting the money towards what you want.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt65 View Post
    HG Quilts are valuable. Before I modified it too heavily I would consider selling it, then putting the money towards what you want.
    Great advice.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Thanks for the replies.

The reason i was thinking of this is because i have a 20 degree bag that i am using as a tq ( and i am sooo comfy!!) but it weighs a ton. Instead, I could use the incubator as the tq and save a pound! Then buy a zero degree for the colder nights.

I am trying to get more mileage out of my gear: I have been thinking if I have one each of a 0, 20, and 40 degree that I can use as a top and bottom quilt I can mix and match without buying a set for each. I really like my incubator, don't want to sell it

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I'm a bad person to take advice from in this area. I think you need top quilts to match each one of your under quilts

That said, I don't think your incubator will work very well as a top quilt. Some other brands like the JRB quilts can be used as TQ or UQ as I have done with my MT Washington 3 and it works well.

S