Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    MDSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Snyder, TX
    Hammock
    DIY 30d MARPAT
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod
    Suspension
    ISLS with UCRs
    Posts
    2,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Avenger View Post
    Where are you hanging around Snyder? Not many trees in west Texas.
    In my back yard! LOL

    I have a pecan tree, three oaks, and an elm.

    I've not tried the mesquite flats yet but we have trees big enough from which to hang. It's wild out there, though ... coyotes, racoons, hogs, deer ...

    There are a few native cottonwoods along the river banks. I'm told cottonwood is the only native tree in this area.

    Mike

  2. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    West Texas
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    DD Tarp 3x3
    Insulation
    GarQuilt/Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    464
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    In my back yard! LOL

    I have a pecan tree, three oaks, and an elm.

    Mike
    Dang near a majority of the trees in the area! :-)

  3. #13
    Lost_Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Posts
    2,090
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    I've not weighed anything, yet, Lost.

    Slept out last night in the low 40s. The sock worked but see the need for an UQ protector. The gear piles up, huh?

    Mike
    It does, but at least it's a fairly cheap hobby or lifestyle.

    You can add a water resistant piece of material to the bottom outside of the sock and still have one piece of gear.

  4. #14
    MDSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Snyder, TX
    Hammock
    DIY 30d MARPAT
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod
    Suspension
    ISLS with UCRs
    Posts
    2,169
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    It does, but at least it's a fairly cheap hobby or lifestyle.

    You can add a water resistant piece of material to the bottom outside of the sock and still have one piece of gear.
    Ayup. Thanks, Lost.

    WV has his sock go all the way to the ground with a piece of DWR for a small footprint, which seems like a good idea, too. Will have to mull it over.

    Sewed in the channel and installed shock cord but the scavenged cord lock is too small so just tied it for now. The seal at the head opening is what we'd call good enough.

    But also sewed a length of paracord to the ridge crease and ran it though the carabiner and back to the hammock so that I can pull the sock tight lengthwise from inside there. I love running things through carabiners! Sewed a paracord loop on the other end, too, to hang on the carabiner.

    Mike

  5. #15
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    8,563
    Images
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    . The seal at the head opening is what we'd call good enough.

    Mike
    Actually, it may be perfectly good. You want a little bit of ventilation for your sock. Breathing 100% carbon dioxide by 5:00a.m. Is not a good thing
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  6. #16
    MDSH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Snyder, TX
    Hammock
    DIY 30d MARPAT
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod
    Suspension
    ISLS with UCRs
    Posts
    2,169
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Actually, it may be perfectly good. You want a little bit of ventilation for your sock. Breathing 100% carbon dioxide by 5:00a.m. Is not a good thing
    Then it's perfect!

    Thanks, MAD.

    Had frost this morning upon waking so know I'm good to freezing.

    Since there was no wind I had no CBS and slept toasty warm all night, meaning, compared to the night before, a full coverage weather sock to help the UQ is the next step.

    Since the canvas is rather heavy and weather affects things below, I'm wondering what proportion of lightweight DWR fabric to utilize down there. Does 60/40 sound about right?

    Next decision: enveloping the hammock and UQ like a pod or WV's small footprint idea?

    Mike

  7. #17
    Lost_Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Posts
    2,090
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    Then it's perfect!

    Thanks, MAD.

    Had frost this morning upon waking so know I'm good to freezing.

    Since there was no wind I had no CBS and slept toasty warm all night, meaning, compared to the night before, a full coverage weather sock to help the UQ is the next step.

    Since the canvas is rather heavy and weather affects things below, I'm wondering what proportion of lightweight DWR fabric to utilize down there. Does 60/40 sound about right?

    Next decision: enveloping the hammock and UQ like a pod or WV's small footprint idea?

    Mike
    That should be fine. As for which type, I like the sock a lot. Mine is built like the Ted Bug Net with a piece of shock cord on one side - easy entry and exit with my WBBB. The other side is static and stays in the same spot. It's sized to go around my hammock and great big down uq I made last month.

    Pod or small footprint? I don't really know what temps you have there, but where I am, it gets to single digits. For an all in one, I would have to go with a pod type and vent when needed. It's a hard choice to finalize what works till you actually try it. We get really hard wind here and my dwr sock blocks most of it and also stops the driving rain (sideways) that gets past the tarp. I've also built in so many ways to vent or button up tight so I have a more versatile all in one piece of gear. Alas, it's still going thru changes, but the basic sock design stays the same.

    Have I confused you more?
    Last edited by Lost_Biker; 10-08-2012 at 10:28. Reason: Hulk not spell good.

  8. #18
    Lost_Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Posts
    2,090
    Images
    48
    This is my 1.1 dwr ripstop sock. Sleeping bag converted to top quilt.Inside is my WBBB followed by my extra thick IX UQ, followed by my diy extra large down UQ. I didn't have any condensation at 32* this AM. I'm a very cold sleeper so this is going to be my full on winter kit. Love it so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •