Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Tarp Size.

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Glasgow, UK.
    Posts
    7

    Tarp Size.

    I'm looking at a 1.5m (4 feet 11 in) x 2.5m (8 feet 2 in) tarp for use with the Woodsman Lite Hammock: http://preview.tinyurl.com/8eb79fl (Long link)

    Would you say this tarp is too small, it's the Terra Nova Adventure 1 tarp. Any other recommendations for tarps? I'm from the UK.

  2. #2
    BrianWillan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Tarp
    Ogee / UGQ B.A.T.
    Insulation
    HG Inc-BE / Wiggys
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,864
    Images
    7
    Greetings

    For your information, UK Hammocks is a distributor for Warbonnet Outdoors. I would take a look at the Big Mamajamba. It is a hex shaped tarp with an 11' ridgeline length made from silnylon.

    I think that size of tarp you mentioned is a little on the small side. You would have to pitch it on a diagonal to get enough coverage. With the amount of wind a rain that you get in your area, I would want a full coverage tarp to ensure I stayed dry.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

    Eastern Great Lakes Trip Planning Announcement thread. Subscribe to keep informed on upcoming group hangs in this area.

  3. #3
    Chard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    957
    Images
    44
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    For your information, UK Hammocks is a distributor for Warbonnet Outdoors. I would take a look at the Big Mamajamba. It is a hex shaped tarp with an 11' ridgeline length made from silnylon.

    I think that size of tarp you mentioned is a little on the small side. You would have to pitch it on a diagonal to get enough coverage. With the amount of wind a rain that you get in your area, I would want a full coverage tarp to ensure I stayed dry.
    +1

    I use a DIY Sil Blackcat wth a12' ridgeline and 5' sides. Also look into grizbeaks for full protection. An entra ounce or two is a small price to pay for ensuring you stay dry.

    Chard
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live

    Upcoming EGL Hangs: Winter Backcountry 2014. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports: Feb 2014, Spring 2013, Fall 2012, Winter 2012, Fall 2011, Video: Algonquin - Spring 2011 - Part 1 of 2

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Glasgow, UK.
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for the advice guys, the tarp is a pretty good size and weight, only 30 grams heavier than the much smaller tarp, much appreciated.

    Stuart.

  5. #5
    Member esku75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mallorca
    Hammock
    UK Hammocks woodsman lite
    Tarp
    TW Poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Pad+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
    I'm looking at a 1.5m (4 feet 11 in) x 2.5m (8 feet 2 in) tarp for use with the Woodsman Lite Hammock: http://preview.tinyurl.com/8eb79fl (Long link)

    Would you say this tarp is too small, it's the Terra Nova Adventure 1 tarp. Any other recommendations for tarps? I'm from the UK.
    Hi I have the same hammock and 1,5x2,5 m is definetly small for the woodman lite. It's a 3 m long hammock with a ridge line at 83% so 2,49 m long. I think minimal size tarp for this hammock should be 3 m long. Mat sells big mambajamba, superfly and hextarp, all three with a good range for your hammock.
    If you want something cheaper but bulkier and heavier look for tenth wonder tarps they make 1,5x3,60 m ultralight tarps and 2,40x3,60 m sargasso tarps all PU coated nylon but if money it's not problem go for the warbonnet of ukhammocks.
    Just my 2 cents

    I'm avoiding other great materials and cottage vendors because the shipment and taxes, I'm in Spain

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lubbock, Tx.
    Posts
    941
    Images
    3
    What type of weather are you looking at using the tarp for?

  7. #7
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Glasgow, UK.
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by esku75 View Post
    Hi I have the same hammock and 1,5x2,5 m is definetly small for the woodman lite. It's a 3 m long hammock with a ridge line at 83% so 2,49 m long. I think minimal size tarp for this hammock should be 3 m long. Mat sells big mambajamba, superfly and hextarp, all three with a good range for your hammock.
    If you want something cheaper but bulkier and heavier look for tenth wonder tarps they make 1,5x3,60 m ultralight tarps and 2,40x3,60 m sargasso tarps all PU coated nylon but if money it's not problem go for the warbonnet of ukhammocks.
    Just my 2 cents

    I'm avoiding other great materials and cottage vendors because the shipment and taxes, I'm in Spain
    I'm considering the Tenth Wonder Ultralight Tarp, is 1.5m wide enough?

    Quote Originally Posted by lubbockhammockguy View Post
    What type of weather are you looking at using the tarp for?
    Cold and wet, I'm in Scotland, if you go backpacking for 5 days, you can expect 4 nights of rain and a sunny day on the way out.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lubbock, Tx.
    Posts
    941
    Images
    3
    I would recommend the Wilderness Logics Oldman Winter and/or the Warbonnet Super Fly tarp. They both are both great tarps for cold wet conditions. They both can be hung low to the ground so that no rain or wind can get it and they can also be setup high in porch mode.

  9. #9
    Member esku75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mallorca
    Hammock
    UK Hammocks woodsman lite
    Tarp
    TW Poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Pad+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    83
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuu View Post
    I'm considering the Tenth Wonder Ultralight Tarp, is 1.5m wide enough?



    Cold and wet, I'm in Scotland, if you go backpacking for 5 days, you can expect 4 nights of rain and a sunny day on the way out.
    In my opinion it's not enough, with 75 cm of coverage per side you'll be in trouble with splash and wind and finally will et wet. I'm in Spain which is not as rainy as Scotland and will only take the 150 cm wide in summer. Consider the sargasso range or maybe the 3x3 m dd tarp that will cover you for sure

  10. #10
    Member esku75's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Mallorca
    Hammock
    UK Hammocks woodsman lite
    Tarp
    TW Poncho tarp
    Insulation
    Pad+sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    83
    The main problem for the EU hangers is that we have a limited range of hammock gear for a reasonable price. Ukhammocks sells warbonnet but in terms of tarps actually we're very limited to few options.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •