Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap

Not possible to hang a bridge hammock in a small room.

I'd like to put up a hammock in the bedroom but it's rather small.

It's a century old home converted into apartments and there's no way on earth I would trust the structure in here to hang from nor do I want to have to patch walls etc when I move so it's going to have to be a freestanding frame.

The longest usable length in the room is about 9 feet.

I'm wanting to make a bridge hammock for myself and I have the opposite problem of most of you who are after way long hammocks - I'm short!!

I figure that the hammock itself will only need to be 76" (correct that illusion if I'm wrong please).

Can it be done? And if so, how?

Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Images
    Not to be too subtle but how flippin' short are you?

76" is awfully short and if you're doing a bridge, I think the suspension ads quite a bit to the length you need, but I guess it depends on the design as to how much...

Isn't it possible to get more than 9' at an angle?
    Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy. - Randy

TDStand Instructions

TDStand Disclaimer! I'm Not Kidding!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    UCR SLS
    Images
    Here is the stand that i use every night. It's 10' 11" but the length can be made to what ever you need.http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=35273Sometimes these can turn up at yard sales etc. Around here with the economy you don't just see them sitting beside the road anymore. New ones can be bought around $100.00 at the big box stores. Some toprails are rectangular some round.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by hppyfngy View Post
    Not to be too subtle but how flippin' short are you?

76" is awfully short and if you're doing a bridge, I think the suspension ads quite a bit to the length you need, but I guess it depends on the design as to how much...

Isn't it possible to get more than 9' at an angle?
    I'm all of 5' tall (well I was before age shrinkage anyways...lol). I measured my existing bed and it's 76" and I'm more than comfortable in it so I figured with a bridge I won't need a hammock that's made for y'all who are 6'+.

Just had a lightening flash - I'd measured kitty corner before but realized that I wouldn't be able to access the closet..duh! Then lightbulbs came on (they do occasionally here...) and figured out that I can do a semi corner to corner that comes to 11' and still be able to close my bedroom door.

Good news is I live alone so there's no one to nag at me about it all...

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    onrope buckle
    This stand fits in the back of my van, which I'm confident is smaller than your room.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=33309
    Dave

http://www.uark.edu/misc/xtimber/rna/pattonsbluff.html

It has always been my private conviction that any man who pits his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming.
    John Steinbeck

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    11' with a bridge and a stand is going to be tough...even for a shortish person. A better way to word the thread title would have been "It's impossible to hang a bridge hammock with a stand in a room 9'x9'". That would have been a call to a challenge and folks around here don't like the answer "It's not possible". Issue a dare, or a challenge, and I bet somebody comes up with something.

As to the century old house, those things are bricks! I live in a house that was built in the mid to late 1940s and the grains in the wood are amazingly dense when compared with newer construction. Given a choice between your home and a new home, it wouldn't even take me 2 seconds to decide which I'd rather hang within.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    G-Bird II
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    AHE TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoop dutch!
    Images
    Wall to wall dimensions are only 9 feet? Or could you go diagonally?

Most of the popular hammocks only have ~100" (8'-4") ridgelines, by modifying/customizing a suspension system you can fit a "normal" hammock in the space. I've done this in my own home setup. You dont need a long suspension, it can be a short length of cord or webbing tied/clipped directly to the attachment points.
    Or, you can pass the suspensions thru the attachment points and back to the middle and clip them together (I've done this too).
    Essentially, you can get the hammock "right-tight" to the attachment points

You may need to use a spreader bar from wall to wall to insure a solid hang. A couple of a-frame stands set against the walls and employing 9 foot long spreader will do it.
    Since the stand cant sway head to foot (its trapped by the walls), the a-frames legs will prevent any side to side tipping.

Hammock
    The one in the van
    Tarp
    CamoHexMonster
    Insulation
    Fluff
    Suspension
    Flying Trapeze
    Images
    Well 11' is a lot more doable but all stands have legs so a stand might still be tricky.

Any way you could do a sketch of the room dimensions, showing doors and anything else you need to avoid?
    Caution: Happy Fun Guy may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    If Happy Fun Guy begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.
    Do not taunt Happy Fun Guy. - Randy

TDStand Instructions

TDStand Disclaimer! I'm Not Kidding!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    11' with a bridge and a stand is going to be tough...even for a shortish person. A better way to word the thread title would have been "It's impossible to hang a bridge hammock with a stand in a room 9'x9'". That would have been a call to a challenge and folks around here don't like the answer "It's not possible". Issue a dare, or a challenge, and I bet somebody comes up with something.

As to the century old house, those things are bricks! I live in a house that was built in the mid to late 1940s and the grains in the wood are amazingly dense when compared with newer construction. Given a choice between your home and a new home, it wouldn't even take me 2 seconds to decide which I'd rather hang within.
    Someone change the title for me will ya...

The problem with this century old house is that I've no idea what the walls are made of. It started off life as a schoolhouse, became a bakery, a garage, and a few other things along the way before it was made into 4 apartments. The inside walls that I'd be using are all within 15 to 20 years old (I think) and from what I've seen of other stuff around here (like the plumbing) , could be questionable at best. Better that I don't hang from them. AND it's a rental.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Don't know if this will help, but maybe it will inspire an idea. This is how I hang my hammocks in my gear room/guest room:

I could have gone on a harder diagonal and got another foot, or so, of span length. But, 12' is pushing the limit on a gathered-end that doesn't have to account for the suspension triangle of a bridge design. It would have to be a pretty short bridge!

Using this method results in four holes, unless you have the luxury of being able to drill pilot holes from above, as I did. Regardless, the patch-work to make it look like it never happened is ridiculously simple...even in a house that uses plaster instead of sheetrock. Anyhow, thought it might inspire an idea in your gray matter.
    Trust nobody!