Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

Re: Help with Superfly suspension

Quote Originally Posted by markrvp View Post
    Brandon (and others):

When you say you don't recommend a tarp ridgeline, why is that? I've been using a continuous ridgeline over the top of my Cloudburst since I got it. Will doing that somehow harm the tarp?
    From what I understand... NO... But the reason is a lot of people run the line under the tarp and you won't get it tight enough and abrasion will eventually be an issue like that... But run over I HAVE been told is fine... In fact that's the way I run my Superfly...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies

Quote Originally Posted by markrvp View Post
    Brandon (and others):

When you say you don't recommend a tarp ridgeline, why is that? I've been using a continuous ridgeline over the top of my Cloudburst since I got it. Will doing that somehow harm the tarp?
    In my experience, and I've tried numerous methods, a CRL on my Superfly takes too much tension off the the tarp's ridgeline, making it impossible to get a truly taut tarp like Brandon recommends having. Seems, however, many pitch it far less taut than he recommends without issue. I think it's really more a personal decision.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by snidetripod View Post
    Is this pole mod worth getting? I have heard nothing but great stuff about it, but I don't use trek poles. Do you need a set of trekking poles to work the pole mod? Or would some thin branches work? How long did it take to get back from 2qzq. ( Sorry, this should really be in the 2QZQ forum, but I guess it refers to my SuperFly)

Just picked up some braided mason line, going to try out the clove hitch method of shock cord tie outs. Only problem is, the line is hot pink. Anyone know if you can use Rit fabric dye on nylon? It seems in theory that it would work, but you never know.

Thanks....
    The pole mod does not use trekking poles, to my knowledge. The ones I have seen are actually using a t**t pole. Pole pockets, like those you might find on a t**t, are added to the sides and a little tie-out on the inside of the ridgeline to hold the pole upright. Think about most t**ts rainflys... It's pretty much like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    In my experience, and I've tried numerous methods, a CRL on my Superfly takes too much tension off the the tarp's ridgeline, making it impossible to get a truly taut tarp like Brandon recommends having. Seems, however, many pitch it far less taut than he recommends without issue. I think it's really more a personal decision.
    This is my understanding. The ridgeline is made to be super robust with the intention of really cranking down to get a taut pitch. By using a CRL you are taking some tension off the ridgeline, which will allow some slack.

That's my favorite thing about the Superfly; I hang it fairly high and loose then use three to one hitches like in Brandon's video and the tarp seems darn near free standing by the time I'm done... Super, super taut.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images

I love my pole mod... The poles I used based off 2qzq recommendation was the Easton .344 nano kites or something like that from quest outfitters... They work well... Poles weigh about 4 oz
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner in 1.9 Multicam
    Tarp
    Camo SF
    Insulation
    JRB MW4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    In keeping with suspension for the Superfly, I have a question about the guy lines. How tight is it recommended to tighten these? I tightened mine pretty tight last night, but loosened them off a bit cause the tarp looked under stress.

Thanks. Oh ya, what is a T**T pole?
    Check out my youtube channel. Vids about hammock camping, geocaching and outdoor fun.
    Adventures With Snide Tripod

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    PLUQ/Lynx Clone
    Suspension
    Strap/Buckle | UCR
    T**T = tent..

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies

Quote Originally Posted by snidetripod View Post
    In keeping with suspension for the Superfly, I have a question about the guy lines. How tight is it recommended to tighten these? I tightened mine pretty tight last night, but loosened them off a bit cause the tarp looked under stress.

Thanks. Oh ya, what is a T**T pole?
    Crank 'em. Within reason, of course, but you should be able to play them like a guitar. Assuming, obviously, you're not using tensioners, then you just tighten until the tensioners are taut.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123