Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
  1. #11
    BLUEFIN 774's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Newfoundland, Canada
    Hammock
    Hennessy ULBA with 2QZQ mod #4
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway Tarp
    Insulation
    Hammockgear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    WhoOpie Slings/DCs
    Posts
    853
    Hey Texas-grrl,

    The hammock looked okay to me. I usually try to have my feet a few inches above my head. It is hard to stay on a pad when in the hammock. You can get pads with wings near the shoulders (search the forum for DIY ones)

    In my opinion, an underquilt is the best option as it stays under the hammock even if you move in the hammock while sleeping.
    Take care,
    Bluefin


    Bluefin's Videos

  2. #12
    Cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Modoc, SC
    Hammock
    HHDJ/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Posts
    3,318
    As you found, a sleeping bag will not give you much insulation on the bottom (compressed insulation). Shug is spot on with the SPE, but when you can I suggest you get an UQ.
    It looks like you could raise the foot end a little higher, that will keep you more centered in the hammock, no slide to the foot end.
    Also, I agree with Caveman, lay with your head toward the zipper where you entered the hammock, and put your feet on the opposite side, and try to get a good diagonal lay.
    So, how did you like the Hennessey overall???
    Happy Hangin!!!


    AKA BajaHanger

    You cannot solve a problem with the same mind that created it. -Albert Einstein

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    As you found, a sleeping bag will not give you much insulation on the bottom (compressed insulation). Shug is spot on with the SPE, but when you can I suggest you get an UQ.
    It looks like you could raise the foot end a little higher, that will keep you more centered in the hammock, no slide to the foot end.
    Also, I agree with Caveman, lay with your head toward the zipper where you entered the hammock, and put your feet on the opposite side, and try to get a good diagonal lay.
    So, how did you like the Hennessey overall???
    I loved it! The workmanship seems first-rate.

  4. #14
    UncleMJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Hammock
    HHExplUL; WBBB; SmokeHouse; ROO...
    Tarp
    HM Suite or HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    2,287
    Images
    6
    You've gotten good advice above.

    I agree with the raised footend, and that an UQ is the most comfortable set up.

    Pads are great though as you are getting started and many folks use them exclusively as it provides an option in the horrible event that one would have to go to the ground some time. The SPE is a great way to take care of cold shoulders. Another option or something to do in addition for more width coverage would be to take a "cheapy blue wal-mart" pad and cut a section long enough to provide shoulder coverage when you place it perpendicular to your main pad.

    As you get started, there is a learning curve and it may take a few nights of moving around to find the sweet spot in your hammock. I find that if I put my left shoulder almost to the edge of the hammock where the tie out is located and my feet the opposite way towards the other side tie out, that it works for me. I also find that my second night in a row is always more comfortable than the first night out if I haven't been out in a while.

    Keep practicing, keep asking, and have fun!
    Last edited by UncleMJM; 10-19-2012 at 11:08. Reason: duh, just re-read and realize you have the eno hot spot/spe

  5. #15
    Cali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Modoc, SC
    Hammock
    HHDJ/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lite Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Posts
    3,318
    Great, just keep tweaking it until you get it spot on for you.

    My husband is from Texas, and we may be out that way in December.
    Happy Hangin!!!


    AKA BajaHanger

    You cannot solve a problem with the same mind that created it. -Albert Einstein

  6. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    You've gotten good advice above.

    I agree with the raised footend, and that an UQ is the most comfortable set up.

    Pads are great though as you are getting started and many folks use them exclusively as it provides an option in the horrible event that one would have to go to the ground some time. The SPE is a great way to take care of cold shoulders. Another option or something to do in addition for more width coverage would be to take a "cheapy blue wal-mart" pad and cut a section long enough to provide shoulder coverage when you place it perpendicular to your main pad.

    As you get started, there is a learning curve and it may take a few nights of moving around to find the sweet spot in your hammock. I find that if I put my left shoulder almost to the edge of the hammock where the tie out is located and my feet the opposite way towards the other side tie out, that it works for me. I also find that my second night in a row is always more comfortable than the first night out if I haven't been out in a while.

    Keep practicing, keep asking, and have fun!
    Great advice....thanks!

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by BajaHanger View Post
    Great, just keep tweaking it until you get it spot on for you.

    My husband is from Texas, and we may be out that way in December.
    Awesome....what part of Texas?

  8. #18
    Another issue that I had last night was my ridgeline seemed very taught. In my hammock, the ridgeline is pre-installed. I did not see a way to adjust it. Is it supposed to be so taught?

  9. #19
    UncleMJM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    College Station, TX
    Hammock
    HHExplUL; WBBB; SmokeHouse; ROO...
    Tarp
    HM Suite or HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    2,287
    Images
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas-grrl View Post
    Another issue that I had last night was my ridgeline seemed very taught. In my hammock, the ridgeline is pre-installed. I did not see a way to adjust it. Is it supposed to be so taught?
    If you can use it to tune your guitar, it's too taut.

    There should be some play in it. Not enough that you can "pinch an inch" but some flexibility.

  10. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    If you can use it to tune your guitar, it's too taut.

    There should be some play in it. Not enough that you can "pinch an inch" but some flexibility.
    Any idea of how to do that on my Hennessy Expedition?

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •