DIY 1.1 SL "Black Bird" Clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images

New use for the Double Fisherman Loop? (or triple, or maybe even single)

This got kinda wordy..sorry. Bear with me...

Been working on my suspension system tonight, since my last bit of material came in early (!!!), and stumbled upon an....unorthodox use for double fisherman loops.

Basically I made some loops to hang my mock up hammock to the SLS suspension I'm working on, but found of they were too short to use with a larks head and a toggled bight.

What I did was open the double fisherman, so I have a loop with a piece of cord going between the 2 knots. I inserted the end of my hammock, and cinched the double fisherman down around. One side pulled the bottom tight, the other the top. When I got them tight, I had my hammock secured with a loop long enough to be used for a toggled bight. See attached image for illustration.

I did have one "failure" when it slipped up my hammock and pulled the whipping off, but I put that more on placement than an actual failure. I've done the same with a larks head. (my whipping also isn't super tight so it can be easily undone on my mock up)

Once tightened down, the knot was very difficult to loosen, meaning it was cinched securely (unlike a larks head). I didn't do too through a test, but I laid in a gently rocking hammock for about an hour with no issues.

I can see using this on a cinched end hammock, if you don't want to trust the stitching. A line of cord cinching the hammock material would make an excellent "stopper" for this, and it could be tied to put little stress on the stitching.

I don't feel like this puts any extra, or undue, stress on the cord.

Let me know what you think: good, bad or ugly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    So I think I got what your describing here. My question is what did you make the loops out of? Amsteel, Zing/Lash/Fling-It, and Dynemma aren't the greatest at holding knots. So if you used one of those I'd be concerned that the knots could slip and drop you. If using another type of cordage, I'd be concerned with actual strength and stretch of that cordage, which may or may not be a problem.

If everthing works and is two thumbs up good to go, I'd say you may certainly be on to something.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 SL "Black Bird" Clone
    Tarp
    DIY 11'x10' Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoppies + TS
    Images
    For my purpose I just used 550 para cord. The loop was maybe a 6" diameter so stretch would be minimal.

As for strength, since you're putting tension on two parallel lines it splits the force each has to hold. I weigh about 150-160 so with a 30 degree hang I'm only putting 75-80 lbs of force on the paracord. So assuming a 75% knot efficiency I have roughly a S.F. = 5.

If you were to do the same with a dyneema type cord I would sheath it first. I've had good results using the nylon sheath from my para-cord to sheath my 7/64" amsteel. This increases knot bend radius, and add's grip to the cord.
    Last edited by Boston; 10-20-2012 at 07:28.