Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: NoBul for sock?

  1. #1
    SwinginIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, Ga
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Posts
    1,153

    NoBul for sock?

    I'm trying to decide which material to go with for making a hammock sock. My choices are M50 (may not be breathable enough), Impetus 1.0 (not sure the small weight savings is worth the extra cost), 1.1 ripstop (can't go wrong but would like it to be lighter) and the NoBul 1 10d. (light, breathable, cheaper than the other special fabrics)

    So my question is do you think the Nobul 1 has enough wind resistance to be used as a sock?

    Also does anyone have any particular experience making socks with the M50 or Impetus? I dunno if it matters but I'll be making a TED style sock.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Central IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    5,130
    How about a link....google doesn't find it for me. Thanks

  3. #3
    SwinginIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, Ga
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Posts
    1,153
    It's this stuff from Titanium Goat. Specifically the Nobul 1.
    http://titaniumgoat.com/Fabric.html
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

  4. #4
    Lost_Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Posts
    2,090
    Images
    48
    It does have a DWR coating so should block the wind ok. I use 1.1 ripstop seconds with DWR coating for my socks and they block the fierce Indiana winds just fine. Just beware that you may have condensation build-up. Sorry - no experience with the other materials.
    Last edited by Lost_Biker; 10-20-2012 at 19:00. Reason: take a guess

  5. #5
    PapaSmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Fredericksburg, Ohio
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Varies each trip
    Posts
    1,363
    I'm hoping to get a WinterSock finished Monday night using this same fabric. I'd be happy to report back my experiences building it. Perhaps the end user can share some thoughts after he gets a few nights in it, but that will likely take a few weeks.

  6. #6
    SwinginIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, Ga
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I'm hoping to get a WinterSock finished Monday night using this same fabric. I'd be happy to report back my experiences building it. Perhaps the end user can share some thoughts after he gets a few nights in it, but that will likely take a few weeks.
    Yes I would love to hear how it goes for you. I don't think I have the patience to wait a few weeks for a user report. I'm ready to get to work plus I have a couple upcoming trips I'd like to have it for. But I am definitely interested to know how the material is to work with and your initial impressions of the final product.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

  7. #7
    SwinginIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, Ga
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    It does have a DWR coating so should block the wind ok. I use 1.1 ripstop seconds with DWR coating for my socks and they block the fierce Indiana winds just fine. Just beware that you may have condensation build-up. Sorry - no experience with the other materials.
    I'm hoping that doing it TED style will help with condensation since it will be open at the top. I can either leave the flap open or I may even try doing something like tent rainflys have with the lil popup bar that will prop up the flap to allow ventilation.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

  8. #8
    Lost_Biker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Posts
    2,090
    Images
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    I'm hoping that doing it TED style will help with condensation since it will be open at the top. I can either leave the flap open or I may even try doing something like tent rainflys have with the lil popup bar that will prop up the flap to allow ventilation.
    Exactly - works great for me so far with no condensation at all. I have a flap that I flip open or closed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  9. #9
    SwinginIt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, Ga
    Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Posts
    1,153
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post
    Exactly - works great for me so far with no condensation at all. I have a flap that I flip open or closed.
    Yeah reading your thread helped me decide that that was the style I was gonna do.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

  10. #10
    gunner76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Beaufort, NC
    Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Posts
    5,800
    Images
    39
    Are there any DIY plans on the socks ?
    Merchants Mill Pond SP Swamp Hang

    www.neusioktrail.org ..................... Free Hammock Classes

    Hammock Gear Time Line ..............Hammock Friendly Sites in NC

    I am 18 with 42 years of experience.

    Hammock Hangers...taking over the world..2 trees at a time !

    Warbonnet BB 1.7 and a whole lot of other great gear from the vendors on HF

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •