Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 37
  1. #11
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,033
    Images
    1
    Dejoha, I can't quite see in the pics which tie-outs you are using for the ridgeline. By using those other tie-outs, don't you go from a really long ridgeline (14-15 ft.) to really short (8-9 ft.)?

    These are the measurements I came up with when playing with it last year.


  2. #12
    Member soulsurvivor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    danville, il
    Hammock
    modded grand trunk sb pro
    Tarp
    cammo 8' x 10'
    Suspension
    woopie
    Posts
    95
    yes im baffled as well. as i have a 10' + hammock. would love this video. titled "tarp origami!" lol

  3. #13
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,033
    Images
    1
    I took a look at my hammock (BIAS Weight Weenie Micro), which is 11 ft. If we assume the hammock ridgeline is going to be 83% of the hammock length, then I should have a ridgeline of 109.5 inches. I also have to factor in the continuous loops run through the channels, 'cause I don't want them exposed to the weather. They add about 4.5 inches to each end. So my total hammock ridgeline length is 118.5 inches, which means I need about 10 ft to cover my tarp.

    In my drawing, that means the only configurations I could use to give me adequate coverage would be the 11.5 ft or the 14 ft. option. Using any other tie-outs would be too short, either 8 or 9 ft.



    I took the tarp out in the yard to reaffirm my measurements, and they are correct. Dejoha's blog lists the ridgeline as 15 ft., but I don't believe that is correct. The Pythagorean theorem tells me that the diagonal of a 10x10 square is 14.1, unless Grand Trunk has redesigned the Funky Forest since I bought mine last year. The website doesn't indicate any change in design.

    So in conclusion, I think there are only two configurations that you can use for an 11 ft. hammock, or in your case, a 10.5 ft. hammock: we're stuck with the 14 ft. ridgeline tie-outs, or the 11.5 (but that one is kind of useless, in my opinion).

    Now, if it were a shorter hammock like the ENO Pro (86 inches) or DoubleNest (101 in.), then other configurations would provide coverage, assuming they are using ridgelines that are 83% of the hammock length. If you want an additional six inches of coverage on each end, then your maximum hammock ridgeline for the 8 ft. tie-outs would be 7 ft., or 8ft. maximum hammock ridgeline if you are using the 9 ft. tie-outs.

    So you either need a shorter hammock to use dejoha's suggested winter configuration, or you might want to think about Grizz Beaks. They work like a charm!

  4. #14
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,033
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by soulsurvivor View Post
    yes im baffled as well. as i have a 10' + hammock. would love this video. titled "tarp origami!" lol
    SoulSurvivor:

    I was even gonna make you a video till I realized it was mathematically impossible to use dejoha's winter/wind configuration with a 10.5 or 11 ft. hammock. Sorry about that.

    Math is not my strong suit so I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong, but I just can't see it working for longer hammocks.

  5. #15
    DivaB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Newark, OH
    Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Posts
    4,099
    Wow dejoha that is great! I have two of these tarps that I got on a fabulous sale and found them not adequate for winter use and blowing snow....I'm going to have to revisit that after seeing your pictures. I had always wondered about moving it off center, but never took the time to try it out. Just excellent!

  6. #16
    dejoha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    2,226
    Images
    207
    SilvrSurfr,

    I was scratching my head too, because your diagram and description differ dramatically from the tarp I have. I measured my tarp this morning before posting and it is, indeed, 15+ feet on the ridge line and 11 feet on the sides. When I get home, I'll do a more thorough measurement and illustration.

    Also, my tarp doesn't have quite the dramatic cat-cut edges. Mine are much more square (not entirely, but much more than what you've drawn). Mine is a brand-new tarp so my guess is that I have a different model.

    This is clear in my photos because you can see how easily the tarp folds into itself. Had my tarp had the dramatic cat-cuts on the edges, it wouldn't seal up.

    More to come once I get home tonight!

  7. #17
    DivaB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Newark, OH
    Hammock
    DIY Extra Wide & Long Tablecloth
    Tarp
    Funky & GG Tarps
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    continuous L. Amst
    Posts
    4,099
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    SoulSurvivor:

    I was even gonna make you a video till I realized it was mathematically impossible to use dejoha's winter/wind configuration with a 10.5 or 11 ft. hammock. Sorry about that.

    Math is not my strong suit so I'm perfectly willing to be proven wrong, but I just can't see it working for longer hammocks.

    I should have read the entire thread before posting my "excitement" in regards to the configurations . I see where your coming from, this other configuration won't work for my longer hammock either.

  8. #18
    dejoha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    2,226
    Images
    207
    For reference, the hammock pictured (in green with the underquilt) is the Woodsman X Single from UK Hammocks. As you can see, the modified tarp pitch adequately covers this hammock. I don't have the numbers in front of my so I can't quote the ridgeline length, so I'll check on that.

    I don't remember exactly what hammock I used in the other photo, but I believe it is a DIY 5x10 ft hammock with bug net. A guess on the ridgeline length would be roughly 100 in (roughly 8+ ft).

    Those are my rough estimates -- good enough for a political debate, but not entirely accurate. I'll get the facts to you when I get home.

    But, all said, I did provide photos, so it really did happen

  9. #19
    dejoha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    GoLite Poncho Tarp
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Posts
    2,226
    Images
    207
    Quote Originally Posted by DivaB View Post
    I should have read the entire thread before posting my "excitement" in regards to the configurations . I see where your coming from, this other configuration won't work for my longer hammock either.
    I've got a few long hammocks, including the BIAS micro, so I'll see about setting this up for a demo. I'm skeptical, but I'll get some photos to see if it will work.

    ~derek

  10. #20
    SilvrSurfr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jersey Shore, NJ
    Hammock
    BIAS Hiker Lite
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG!
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutchbling
    Posts
    5,033
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by dejoha View Post
    SilvrSurfr,

    I was scratching my head too, because your diagram and description differ dramatically from the tarp I have. I measured my tarp this morning before posting and it is, indeed, 15+ feet on the ridge line and 11 feet on the sides. When I get home, I'll do a more thorough measurement and illustration.

    Also, my tarp doesn't have quite the dramatic cat-cut edges. Mine are much more square (not entirely, but much more than what you've drawn). Mine is a brand-new tarp so my guess is that I have a different model.

    This is clear in my photos because you can see how easily the tarp folds into itself. Had my tarp had the dramatic cat-cuts on the edges, it wouldn't seal up.

    More to come once I get home tonight!
    When I checked the website last nite, Grand Trunk had a pull-down menu with Funky Forest tarp, but it's now gone from what I can tell. Now there's an entry for All-Purpose Rainfly; same price, same dimensions, and there's even some leftover copy calling it the Funky Forest Tarp.

    However, I do think they've changed the design because yours doesn't have the three exterior loops along the 14' (or 15') diagonal (which I use to hang the tarp under the ridgeline). And if your cat cuts aren't as radical as the ones DivaB and I own, then you probably get more coverage.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •