Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    T W Hornet
    Tarp
    Sargasso Storm

First time hiking and hammocking

Hello all.

This is my first post after my initial introduction, so I may be posting in the wrong forum. Mods please move if inappropriate.

And my second caveat is that I have attempted to upload a photo from my computer. If it is successful, I will add more. Anyhow..

Finally after months of planning I finally got to go bush with my son who is a busy father of two and like many, paying a mortgage and even studying part time. We actually took my 4x4 up the road I live on and continued into the forest. When the road ran out we put our packs on and walked until we reached a waterfall. Out came the topographic map and my son who has done military training, took over and we followed the creek to its end and then on to the highest point in the area where we set up our hammocks for the first night. What a steep learning curve in what to carry on our backs! I managed to fit a small bottle of bourbon though, so we slept well. Sadly no fires up there as the Australian bush is to be respected and even feared if one spark gets away!

What impressed me was after packing in the morning there was no way anyone could tell we had been there. Hammocking is definitely environmentally friendly. My son wanted to continue into this country but seeing this was our "shakedown" hike to get all the bugs sorted, I convinced him to drive up into a local National Park and camp in the rainforest. Luckily we met a couple of rangers and one I had worked with in the past. I explained that we had tree huggers and our own stoves, so he allowed us to camp where ever we liked! That is a big deal in our over governed State that doesn't want anyone off track.

After a lot of searching we found a snug camp under a stand of pine trees. The reason for the careful checking is that many Aussie trees drop branches well known as widow makers and despite numerous rainforest trees, there was still quite a few very large eucalypts and yes they were surrounded by large dropped branches.... I was using a TW hammock and a Sargasso storm tarp from the UK and Gus was in my old Hennesey. The H went up so much faster and I reckon he got the better sleep mainly due to my attempts to use a rubber mat as insulation. I will buy an under quilt as I really feel the cold. My son could sleep up a tree!

It was just wonderful to be spending a few days with my son. Our next trip will be straight West to the headwaters of a local river, so fishing will be a big part of the trip and yes no problems with fires out that way. The great advantage of Australia is that it is so big with such a small population, it is easy to escape people and technology.

Thanks for reading

Andy 20140419_102622.jpg

Hammock
    T W Hornet
    Tarp
    Sargasso Storm
    LOL! I picked the worst photo to put up. That was Gus setting up and yes we did clear up all our stuff before eating! Next photo is a reflection in the creek. Crystal clear and clean so we drank straight from it.20140419_114312.jpg

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Great job! looks beautiful there. once place i always wanted to get too but alas never have.. Sounds to me like you all did the right thing and i applaud you trying a mat, me went straight to underquilts ..dont see my big frame sleeping on a 20" in wide mat in a hammock...ymmv of course..
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.0 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Great stuff... Always need to be looking out for the widow makers!

Hammock
    Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Thanks for sharing the adventure! Looks like your first hang went well.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Snipe, Netty, Argon
    Tarp
    Tadpole, Cuben, SF
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Dutch DooDads
    Love it. The next trip report won't be too far away.....you (my friend) are hooked!
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and submit your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

Hammock
    T W Hornet
    Tarp
    Sargasso Storm
    Thanks for the kind words and yes I am hooked!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Congrats on the first successful trip. Combining your first backpacking and first hammocking is a great adventure!
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    T W Hornet
    Tarp
    Sargasso Storm
    Too right!

I learned a lot especially how to (re)pack my backpack. What a difference it made. Also stove use. I have a spirit stove, my son has gas. Both had positive uses but gas may have won out in the speed of heating stakes.

Hammock
    T W Hornet
    Tarp
    Sargasso Storm
    20140420_153100.jpg

This photo was taken in the rain forest and yes it was dark and while not exactly wet, was moist especially when sitting on a log!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast