Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member mryan27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Hammock
    D.I.Y
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    D.I.Y Whoopies
    Posts
    66

    Suggestions For Ocala National Forest?

    As the tittle say does anyone have any campsite in the forest they like to stay at. I am planning a birthday trip and would like a decent place to stay preferable around some water. Any help would be much appreciated.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Floridahanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SW Volusia, FL
    Hammock
    Diy gathered end/Fronkey bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy 11x10 w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY synth TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Posts
    1,378
    Images
    10
    Oh, I think you just opened up a big ol bag of campsites. Check out the thread for 3rd annual Florida Hang. It's in Ocala, Buck lake.
    Hope to see you there.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

    My fantastic Photographer wife: http://www.capturedhearts-photography.com

  3. #3
    Member mryan27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Hammock
    D.I.Y
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    D.I.Y Whoopies
    Posts
    66
    Ive been looking forward to the Florida hang all year.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Floridahanger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SW Volusia, FL
    Hammock
    Diy gathered end/Fronkey bugnet
    Tarp
    Diy 11x10 w/doors
    Insulation
    DIY synth TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Posts
    1,378
    Images
    10
    https://www.facebook.com/FLHangers and https://sites.google.com/site/flhangers/ from Samsara
    http://www.lilricky.com/ from lilricky

    Here are some links that should help you in your Florida travels.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

    My fantastic Photographer wife: http://www.capturedhearts-photography.com

  5. #5
    Great White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    West Melbourne, FL
    Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by mryan27 View Post
    As the tittle say does anyone have any campsite in the forest they like to stay at. I am planning a birthday trip and would like a decent place to stay preferable around some water. Any help would be much appreciated.
    A lot of people, myself included, enjoy hiking out to hidden pond. There are other options as well, you can stay at an established campground or find your own spot like I did on my last solo trip.

    Don't forget to checkout the group hangs!

  6. #6
    Member mryan27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Sarasota, FL
    Hammock
    D.I.Y
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    D.I.Y Whoopies
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White View Post
    A lot of people, myself included, enjoy hiking out to hidden pond. There are other options as well, you can stay at an established campground or find your own spot like I did on my last solo trip.

    Don't forget to checkout the group hangs!
    When you go out to hidden pond do you just pay to park at Juniper Springs than just hike to hidden pond? Is there any permits or registration needed?

  7. #7
    Great White's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    West Melbourne, FL
    Hammock
    WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3s Yeti/Mamba
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by mryan27 View Post
    When you go out to hidden pond do you just pay to park at Juniper Springs than just hike to hidden pond? Is there any permits or registration needed?
    To my knowledge there are no permits or registration. However, you do have to pay for parking at Juniper Springs. I usually park at the Pats Island trail head and hike south to the pond.

  8. #8
    Prefers life at 12 MPH. FLRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Posts
    4,017
    Images
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Great White View Post
    To my knowledge there are no permits or registration. However, you do have to pay for parking at Juniper Springs. I usually park at the Pats Island trail head and hike south to the pond.
    That's correct. No permits required for camping there, and you do have to pay for parking at Juniper. At Pat's Island, you don't have to pay, and the walk in is shorter by about a mile and an half (~3.5 vs. ~5).

    Hidden Pond is awfully pretty. I highly recommend it, unless you're trying to get away from everyone (it's a popular destination for hikers and campers in Ocala). As long as you don't mind a few neighbors (and there's enough space that you can have your camp out of sight, if not entirely out of earshot, of everyone else), it's just about the perfect place to camp this time of year.
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

  9. #9
    Senior Member Grinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    winter haven, florida
    Posts
    541
    Images
    19
    +1 on Hidden Pond, It's a lovely place. clean water in the spring fed pond . Sandy Bottom. Good trees to hang from. A fire ring.

    It's about a 3 mile hike in from either north or south.
    grinder

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •