Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammmin View Post
    How much fabric (approx.) is required to make each version of your Dream-Hammocks? This would help in determining the weight penalty of the various fabrics versus comfort and the advantage of double layers. Thanks!
    John
    The overall carry weight of a hammock and the amount of fabric actually supporting your body are 2 vastly different things. Plus, there are ways to efficiently use heavier fabrics without a "weight penalty".

A comparison like this would only work for the simplest hammocks that just use a rectangular piece of fabric. Otherwise, you'd have to figure in the weight of things like zipper, suspension, netting, guylines, straps, etc.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Foot View Post
    Great Chart, really appreciate you putting this together.

Loking at this made me wonder if you could combine different weight fabrics when constructing a DL hammock (e.g. 1.1 & 1.6). If so how would you calculate the weight ranges? Or is this approach not cosidered a good practice?
    I have no idea. Maybe guess it like a DL 1.1 or put it somewhere in the middle?
    My favorite build of all time was a 1.1oz Ripstop Woodland Camo outer layer with a 1.8oz Olive Nylon Taffeta inner layer. Man, that was sweet looking.

Hammock
    DangerBird, BIAS WW Micro
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG, JRB
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    The overall carry weight of a hammock and the amount of fabric actually supporting your body are 2 vastly different things. Plus, there are ways to efficiently use heavier fabrics without a "weight penalty".

A comparison like this would only work for the simplest hammocks that just use a rectangular piece of fabric. Otherwise, you'd have to figure in the weight of things like zipper, suspension, netting, guylines, straps, etc.
    How much weight variance would you estimate is due to just changing the fabric weights, everything else being equal? No doubt a DB 72 will weight more than a DB 60 based on size alone. In a single layer DB 68 is it a matter of only a few ounces between say 1.1 and 2.6?

Just trying to WEIGH my options!!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammmin View Post
    How much weight variance would you estimate is due to just changing the fabric weights, everything else being equal? No doubt a DB 72 will weight more than a DB 60 based on size alone. In a single layer DB 68 is it a matter of only a few ounces between say 1.1 and 2.6?
    Well, here's a very rough look at some of the weights involved.

This chart assumes a piece of fabric approx .75" larger on all 4 sides, double folded and hemmed. It also assumes 3" channels on each end. It is just the hammock body fabric only.

Overhead = suspension, straps, guylines, net, overcover, zipper, stuff sack, etc.

For Dream Hammock products - Based on these weights and looking back through historical DB weights, I can say the "overhead" weight on a 10ft long DB is roughly 15.5oz and an 11ft long DB is roughly 17oz. They all vary a little bit due to different little customizations, but you should be able to use these as rough starting numbers.

For DIY and other products - Info like this could theoretically be used to compare the weights of different combinations of fabrics and help a hanger decide the best amount of fabric to hang on.

Note - This chart does not take into account any coatings or anything that might add a little weight of the fabric.

I hope this helps a little.

Hammock
    DangerBird, BIAS WW Micro
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S
    Insulation
    UGQ, HG, JRB
    Suspension
    Dutchware, Whoops
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    Well, here's a very rough look at some of the weights involved.

This chart assumes a piece of fabric approx .75" larger on all 4 sides, double folded and hemmed. It also assumes 3" channels on each end. It is just the hammock body fabric only.

Overhead = suspension, straps, guylines, net, overcover, zipper, stuff sack, etc.

For Dream Hammock products - Based on these weights and looking back through historical DB weights, I can say the "overhead" weight on a 10ft long DB is roughly 15.5oz and an 11ft long DB is roughly 17oz. They all vary a little bit due to different little customizations, but you should be able to use these as rough starting numbers.

For DIY and other products - Info like this could theoretically be used to compare the weights of different combinations of fabrics and help a hanger decide the best amount of fabric to hang on.

Note - This chart does not take into account any coatings or anything that might add a little weight of the fabric.

I hope this helps a little.
    Wow! You have gone above and beyond expectations. I did not mean to put you through so much work. This chart is great and should help everyone evaluate options. Thank you greatly!
    John

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest, Soon to be DIY
    Tarp
    Don't yet have one
    Insulation
    Don't yet have
    Suspension
    Slapstraps for now
    Any idea why I don't have permission to view the chart?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Quote Originally Posted by sfitsea View Post
    The chart can be found on my website here.
    http://www.dream-hammock.com/ComfortRating.html

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sfitsea View Post
    You have to register to see pics, charts, etc. TTBOMK, I have never received a solicitation, advert, or any other email as a consequence of registration. IOW, I think there is no downside.

Hammock
    Eno Double nest
    Quote Originally Posted by DemostiX View Post
    You have to register to see pics, charts, etc. TTBOMK, I have never received a solicitation, advert, or any other email as a consequence of registration. IOW, I think there is no downside.
    What do you mean by "register"? I am a forum member. Is there something else that needs to be done as I can't see this chart either while I can see pictures in the other threads.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Papa Smurf answered that you must go to his website to see it. Since his customers use it, that's a good place for it. Sorry about the old link. Use his link above.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast