Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37
  1. #21
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    8,562
    Images
    39
    Oh! I am envious! I love snow in the woods, and so early this year.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  2. #22
    Senior Member Latch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Boone, NC
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Widerness Logics
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Posts
    116
    I was hiking with a Forest Service friend two years ago when we found a two foot high bong in that shelter. She said they had already decided to close that shelter because it had become such a party spot because it was so close to the road making it easy access foe the cooler carrying types, if you know what I mean.


    Yea, I know what you mean! It was not a very desirable place. I never would have stayed there considering the natives. My truck was broken into at the 19E crossing in 96'. The car next to mine was stolen! Makes me so mad

  3. #23
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,463
    Images
    353
    Enjoyed that, Cakes! Love snow in the woods above most things, and to see that this early in the south is a rush. Makes me miss my days in northern AZ, CO, WY and UT. Mighty rare that I get to experience such down here, and I long for it. And BTW, you have a lovely southern belle video voice, though I am surprised I notice as I am surrounded by southern belles! Guess I'm not used to hearing such narrating outdoor videos. Anyway, good video!
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  4. #24
    Senior Member Pipsissewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yancey Co., NC - Home of Mt. Mitchell
    Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Posts
    1,691
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by philszone95 View Post
    I was hiking with a Forest Service friend two years ago when we found a two foot high bong in that shelter. She said they had already decided to close that shelter because it had become such a party spot because it was so close to the road making it easy access foe the cooler carrying types, if you know what I mean.


    Yea, I know what you mean! It was not a very desirable place. I never would have stayed there considering the natives. My truck was broken into at the 19E crossing in 96'. The car next to mine was stolen! Makes me so mad
    To be clear, that's the Apple House shelter being closed. The Roan High Knob shelter is a very special place--solitary, wild and beautiful.

    We hiked from Carver's Gap to the Roan Gardens yesterday. L.D., your snowman has lost his head (well, not lost really. It's sitting right next to him! At least, we think that was him--right at the gated forest road 130A).

    Still lots of snow around. Snowshoed for 4.2 miles (one long stretch of the road was dry, so we had to peel off into the woods.) We hung our hammocks under the hemlocks between the road and the parking area for lunch. 37 degrees and sunny and no wind. That's a beautiful area any time of year!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

    ---Leigh Buckner Hanes

    Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

    Surely, God never did.

  5. #25
    L.D. Cakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Holston Mtn. Foothills
    Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Posts
    3,218
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    Brings back memories. Last time I was up there was in the 70's and a blizzard hit, real fun
    The 70's...You must have been in the Boy Scouts then...our family has a 70's snowstorm story from when my brother was on Holston with his troop...he got a little frostbite on his toes!

    Quote Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
    Nice trip, Thanks fir sharing. Hope I get out on shoes this year!
    I hope you do too northmark...are you in the storm ravaged part of NY?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Nice video report! Thanks for sharing with us all.

    Rain Man.
    Wish you could have been with us, it was fun!

    Quote Originally Posted by BEAS View Post
    YOU ARE KILLING ME!!!!!!!!!!
    I AM SO READY TO LEAVE WEST TN, I CAN'T STAND IT!!!!!!!\
    Nice video, thanks for taking us along.
    Beas
    I am a luck Woman to live here...I'm grateful too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Les Rust View Post
    Great video, Cakes. thanks for sharing the snow.
    You are welcome Les Rust.

    Quote Originally Posted by TZBrown View Post
    Very nice Cakes

    Thanks for taking us along
    It was soooo nice to get to see snow like that so early and strange to see the leaves still falling at the same time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Jason in Tn View Post
    Great video man I have to get out in the woods more. Love to play in the snow on the Roan. Was good to see you for a few today it has been a while. Keep in touch.

    Jason
    Good to talk to you and catch up too....I'll prob be on Holston this weekend, I'm itching to go to the overlook on the Western side.
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

  6. #26
    L.D. Cakes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Holston Mtn. Foothills
    Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Posts
    3,218
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Oh! I am envious! I love snow in the woods, and so early this year.
    Hey Mike, I just got my plain tickets for the FH3! Getting a rental car and bringing a new friend to introduce to all of ya! Cant wait!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Enjoyed that, Cakes! Love snow in the woods above most things, and to see that this early in the south is a rush. Makes me miss my days in northern AZ, CO, WY and UT. Mighty rare that I get to experience such down here, and I long for it. And BTW, you have a lovely southern belle video voice, though I am surprised I notice as I am surrounded by southern belles! Guess I'm not used to hearing such narrating outdoor videos. Anyway, good video!
    Aww shucks, what a nice compliment. Thanks BillyBob,
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipsissewa View Post
    To be clear, that's the Apple House shelter being closed. The Roan High Knob shelter is a very special place--solitary, wild and beautiful.

    We hiked from Carver's Gap to the Roan Gardens yesterday. L.D., your snowman has lost his head (well, not lost really. It's sitting right next to him! At least, we think that was him--right at the gated forest road 130A).

    Still lots of snow around. Snowshoed for 4.2 miles (one long stretch of the road was dry, so we had to peel off into the woods.) We hung our hammocks under the hemlocks between the road and the parking area for lunch. 37 degrees and sunny and no wind. That's a beautiful area any time of year!
    Yes, The Apple House shelter was always a problem. And it's never been safe to park a car at the trail head. Parking at the Bed & Breakfast is the place to park and they'll even run a shuttle for you.

    Nope that wasn't my snowman...that one was on the SB trail from the right side of the parking area up to High Knob.

    Any pics???
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

  7. #27
    Senior Member Pipsissewa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Yancey Co., NC - Home of Mt. Mitchell
    Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Posts
    1,691
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Any pics???
    Alas, no. Still haven't bought a new camera! (Information overload!)

    Thanks again for posting your TR!
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

    ---Leigh Buckner Hanes

    Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

    Surely, God never did.

  8. #28
    Senior Member carolinasbackpacker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    South Carolina
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    MacCat dlx sil
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie all in 1
    Posts
    728
    Nice video cakes. Thanks for sharing
    Youtube channel

    Show of Life Blog

    "The mountains are calling and I must go."
    John Muir

  9. #29
    olddog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Lakeland, Fl
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    UCR SLS
    Posts
    3,614
    Images
    3
    Thanks for the video Cakes. Spent half a dozen summers up there but a different look in the winter! Looking forward to seeing you again in Jan.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

  10. #30
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,487
    Images
    62
    Oh yeah.....a harbinger of conditions to come>>>>>>>
    Sweet.
    Shug
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •