Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
Results 161 to 170 of 262
  1. #161
    hangNyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Posts
    495
    Images
    17
    Two half hitches and I'm hanging! I would use a trail stick of at least 6" and keep the hitches toward the center. Thanks to Bonepile for the original idea!





    RON

    A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

  2. #162
    hangNyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Posts
    495
    Images
    17
    I have decided to go with this as my suspension on my hammocks. After playing with this idea, it seems to me, to be the best suspension going. Even though I have proven to myself that a trail stick will work, I am going with the rings for simplicity. I f a ring is lost, at least I know I can hang with a stick. Advantages of this suspension are:

    1. It allows adjustability of the entire suspension length(when ring is placed at the hammock ends)
    2. It can be adjusted from under the tarp(ie. if it's raining)
    3. It is, when using a trail stick, the lightest suspension.
    4. It's just plain cool!

    On a side note: When using a trail stick, I would rcommend using a couple wraps in between the half hitches and tying a slippery hitch with the tag end. Better to be safe. Thanks Bonepile for getting this all started!
    RON

    A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

  3. #163

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pilot mt, NC
    Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    Campmore 9x12
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    single ring
    Posts
    302
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    I have decided to go with this as my suspension on my hammocks. After playing with this idea, it seems to me, to be the best suspension going. Even though I have proven to myself that a trail stick will work, I am going with the rings for simplicity. I f a ring is lost, at least I know I can hang with a stick. Advantages of this suspension are:

    1. It allows adjustability of the entire suspension length(when ring is placed at the hammock ends)
    2. It can be adjusted from under the tarp(ie. if it's raining)
    3. It is, when using a trail stick, the lightest suspension.
    4. It's just plain cool!

    On a side note: When using a trail stick, I would rcommend using a couple wraps in between the half hitches and tying a slippery hitch with the tag end. Better to be safe. Thanks Bonepile for getting this all started!
    hangNyak, you have finally perfected the perfect adjustable suspension!

    Maybe it's time to give the Single Ring Suspension thread a rest. Why don't you start a new thred for your idea. You could call it the Trail Stick Suspension.

  4. #164
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    8,551
    Images
    39
    Wow! Another incremental step toward the weightless suspension!
    Congratulations to HangNyak and Bonepile collaboration.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  5. #165
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Central IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    5,142
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    1. It allows adjustability of the entire suspension length(when ring is placed at the hammock ends)
    Yes
    2. It can be adjusted from under the tarp(ie. if it's raining)
    Yes
    3. It is, when using a trail stick, the lightest suspension.
    A UCR will still be lighter
    4. It's just plain cool!
    Certainly is.
    ..............

  6. #166
    craige's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midlothian, Scotland
    Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    Zeppelin and sb
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCRs
    Posts
    1,020
    Images
    4
    Just tried this with a ucr type thingy. I took a longish dog-bone with one end attached to the adjustable line via a prussic then through a ring and then an ikea Allan key. I tried the original way and with the half hitches... it doesn't work with the half hitches, even with 4 it was slipping ... but with just the wraps I couldn't get it to slip I have nowhere to hang in my house so I hope someone else will try it?
    Pics





    Edit: Fixed the pics
    Last edited by craige; 12-23-2012 at 15:20. Reason: Pics not working

  7. #167
    hangNyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Posts
    495
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by craige View Post
    Just tried this with a ucr type thingy. I took a longish dog-bone with one end attached to the adjustable line via a prussic then through a ring and then an ikea Allan key. I tried the original way and with the half hitches... it doesn't work with the half hitches, even with 4 it was slipping ... but with just the wraps I couldn't get it to slip I have nowhere to hang in my house so I hope someone else will try it?
    Pics



    I can't see your pictures, but the allen key was just a visual to simulate a trail stick. I don't think it will work with the allen key, as it's too slippery and short. The trail stick works because the Amsteel can grab hold of the stick. Also, the two opposing half hitches is necessary, because the forces are pulling against each other. Hope that clarifies things.
    RON

    A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

  8. #168
    craige's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Midlothian, Scotland
    Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    Zeppelin and sb
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCRs
    Posts
    1,020
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    I can't see your pictures, but the allen key was just a visual to simulate a trail stick. I don't think it will work with the allen key, as it's too slippery and short. The trail stick works because the Amsteel can grab hold of the stick. Also, the two opposing half hitches is necessary, because the forces are pulling against each other. Hope that clarifies things.
    Sorry, fixed them, the Ikea Allen key is basically the same as knotty's bent stake.

  9. #169
    hangNyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Posts
    495
    Images
    17
    Out of respect for the OP's original idea, I am starting a new thread for the "Trail stick" suspension.Though one was spawned from the other, they are becoming different suspensions. Kudos to Bonepile for an awesome idea!
    RON

    A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

  10. #170

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pilot mt, NC
    Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    Campmore 9x12
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    single ring
    Posts
    302
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    Out of respect for the OP's original idea, I am starting a new thread for the "Trail stick" suspension.Though one was spawned from the other, they are becoming different suspensions. Kudos to Bonepile for an awesome idea!
    And kudo's to you for taking the lightweight suspension to a whole new elevation.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •