Page 6 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 262
  1. #51
    Alamosa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Bozeman MT
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    12' Winter Shelter
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    CCS
    Posts
    947
    Quote Originally Posted by jaitch View Post
    So, do I have this right? The "under" rope simply rides next to the ring, and the part that loops around the under rope and the ring has one end under tension and the other hanging loose?
    I think you have it backwards. The rope comes off the hammock, loops through the ring, then forms the adjustable loop, comes back through the loops ("under"), and then hangs loose as the tail.

    Exactly the same as the whoopie except the bury is through the loops instead of through the inside of the rope.
    We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Ben Franklin
    (known as a win-win on this forum)

    Wood Stove Review Project Thread - http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=46450
    Tracking Spreadsheet - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...TZlVUtBNGQtU0E

  2. #52
    MAD777's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    South Florida
    Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY down 3/4 UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Dutch
    Posts
    8,566
    Images
    39
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    Try the klemheist knot instead of the prusik. The klemheist holds and is easier to tie. .
    Actually, I've tried both prusik and Klemheist for this application and neither worked for me.

    (I've edited my post #44 above to reflect this)
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

  3. #53
    Senior Member ibgary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Colorado
    Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Posts
    467
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Actually, I've tried both prusik and Klemheist for this application and neither worked for me.

    (I've edited my post #44 above to reflect this)
    Interesting, with me the prusik slipped, but the klemheist stays solid with 4-5 wraps. Im a light weight @ about 155..

  4. #54
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    n.e.
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by Alamosa View Post
    I think you have it backwards. The rope comes off the hammock, loops through the ring, then forms the adjustable loop, comes back through the loops ("under"), and then hangs loose as the tail.

    Exactly the same as the whoopie except the bury is through the loops instead of through the inside of the rope.
    That makes more sense. Thanks.

  5. #55
    hangNyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    St. Petersburg, FL
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG down
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Posts
    495
    Images
    17
    I think this is simply brilliant! I could use small carabiners that I already have a few of hanging from my pack anyway. There is no force applied to the ring/carabiner itself. It only acts as an object to wedge the rope against. I would bet you could use a trail stick,in a pinch, as long as it was rigid enough.I'm going to try this method. Love it!
    RON

    A tree's a tree. How many more do you need to look at? ~ Ronald Reagan

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Pilot mt, NC
    Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    Campmore 9x12
    Insulation
    pads
    Suspension
    single ring
    Posts
    303
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by hangNyak View Post
    I think this is simply brilliant! I could use small carabiners that I already have a few of hanging from my pack anyway. There is no force applied to the ring/carabiner itself. It only acts as an object to wedge the rope against. I would bet you could use a trail stick,in a pinch, as long as it was rigid enough.I'm going to try this method. Love it!
    I just tried your idea of using a trail stick, but it won't work.The stick just sort of spins around and all the loops just twist and slip. It's fun to see all the different ideas this thread is creating.

  7. #57
    Jimbo3b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Posts
    70
    My cheap carabiner worked just fine, but it bent enough the gate won't stay closed. There is a lot of stress on the metal.

    I currently weigh about 370; with a lighter weight you may not destroy your biners.

  8. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.7SL
    Tarp
    ENO Pro, Noah 12
    Insulation
    20* HGInc,GoL 3STQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    64
    I think bonepile's post explains that. There is a twisting force on the ring as well. You may well need a climbing-rated ring, although I am not sure even that is rated for that type of force.

  9. #59
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    NJ
    Hammock
    GTUL or Tableclothsfactory
    Tarp
    Kelty 9' footprint
    Insulation
    Pad + sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    39
    What about a metal bar shaped like an elongated S? It may be lighter while still having a shape that hooks the rope in rather than letting it twist out of place. Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

  10. #60
    GrizzlyAdams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Illinois
    Hammock
    DIY Bridge, v0.n, where n is large
    Tarp
    depends on season
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Posts
    4,628
    Images
    564
    Quote Originally Posted by invisiblejules View Post
    What about a metal bar shaped like an elongated S? It may be lighter while still having a shape that hooks the rope in rather than letting it twist out of place. Sorry if this doesn't make sense.
    makes perfect sense to me...because I've been thinking along similar lines. You need a short length of rod that the cord wraps around 3-4 times, and something on the ends to keep the cord from slipping off.

    For saving weight another tack might be to cut one of the aluminum rings in half. Looking at how far up the cord "rides" up on a ring, it strikes me that theres no real danger on a 2" diameter or greater ring of it jumping off. One of these "sling rings" (sold here as "aluminum suspension rings") would do.

    Of course, cutting a ring to save maybe 10 grams by using 1 instead of 2 is something only a gram-weenie would do.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •