Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    I bought my original blackbird with the line/strap suspension, and my next one with the buckles and an extra set of buckles for the first blackbird. After that, I switched both blackbirds out for whoopee slings, and now I'm actually considering going back to the buckles for the blackbirds. Both ridgerunners I bought, I ordered with the buckles as well.

To me, the biggest benefit of the all-in-one straps/buckles system is that your tree hugger and your suspension are one in the same. That means that, if you have huge trees close together, or little itty bitty trees really far apart, either way your suspension is as flexible as possible for both situations.

I've been in situations with my whoopee slings where I wanted to hang from two trees close together, that were also small in diameter, and I had to shorten the tree huggers, either by using a toggle (I hate toggles) or by wrapping the strap around the tree a few times (somewhat squirelly with Dutch clips).

I'm leaning in the direction of thinking the mild weight penalty for the all-strap suspension is worth it for the convenience and lack of hassle.

Also, regarding the line/strap: I hate it. Being able to lay in the hammock, decide you don't quite like where it's at, and easily tweak your suspension is a huge bonus of whoopie slings / straps-n-buckles. With a knot-based suspension, you have to keep re-tying knots. I will never screw around with that silliness again, now that there are so many better options for suspensions.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx/Burrow
    Suspension
    Bridge
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    Thanks for the quick suggestions all! Looks like I'll go with webbing/buckles, with the possibility of swapping out for whoopie slings at some point in the future.
    That's smart and what I did. Then you open up the options depending on the situation and your mood.

I'll trade a few ounces on my back for lack of hassle every time.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    I'm not sure how to start a new thread, so I thought I'd toss my idea on here.
    Woopie slings r great. Then I came across the UCR, which has a holding problem, but gives greater leanth per foot of material than a woopie. Now I'm thinking why not just put an eye splice on each end of your amstee. Clip one end or hang it from you marline spike or what ever, the feed the other end through the hammock attachment your using and secure it with a klemish knot or prussik. Easy adjustment, simple to make and lighter the a woopie.
    Easy, yes. Secure for the load of a human body? Well, you try it and report how many wraps you need for the knot to hold, and how much or little fun you have releasing the grip with cold fingers. With 12-15mm climbing rope, for which these knots were designed? Yes. With 7/64" slippery Amsteel? I look forward to your careful report.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by Boulderman View Post
    I like the adjustable webbing a lot more than the line/strap. It is WAY easier to adjust - the extra few ounces are worth it to me.
    plus 1 ..i bought the line strap by mistake(mine).with cold old fingers i didnt find trying to pinch the lines together so that i could tie it off very efficient.i found the line pretty slick.im no stranger to knots,but found the adjustable strap to be much better for me.

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    I bought my WBBB with the adjustable webbing, then switched to Whoopies and then tried this:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ht=single+ring

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Adjustable webbing.
    So much easier to deal with when the temperature is low and your fingers are cold and have lost some of their dexterity.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    i didnt like the strap and line.i have no problems with the knot part,but the line is really slick.the problem was my challenges that come with age, and cold weather stiffening the fingers.i went back to adjustabe strap they are perfect for me.good luck.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    I used whoopies for awhile, then switched back to the webbing/buckle suspension. It's just easier and gives you greater flexibility in selecting trees in my opinion. Also, with the RidgeRunner already being slightly longer than a normal gathered end hammock, adding whoopies to it just makes it that much longer of a spread...

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl.
    Tarp
    HF 4 Season Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Lets see. If I have a web and buckle system that weighs 14 ounces, then I could make hammock adjustment in 10 seconds or less. If I had a line and strap system that weighs 5 ounces, then it takes 60 seconds to make hammock adjustments

Speaking for myself, I don't think I want to carry an extra half pound for eight to ten hours of hiking just to be able to save 50 seconds of adjustment time.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast