dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

Vapor Barriers ...

Hangers, just found this thread ... A lot of great information as I read thru it.

Vapor barriers for me, if one is wanting their gear as light as possible, I feel one must must experiment with and use them.

That said, I have slept in a Silicone impregnated fabric rain suit next to my long underwear for years in temperatures below 40*F.

If I feel too warm, I simply stick my feet out from under my top quilt. Cool down to where I put my feet back in or under my top quilt. I've never experienced wet outer gear with this vapor barrier usage by keeping it the second layer out from my body.

I tried wearing the rain suit next to my skin and found it uncomfortable feeling the water resistant fabric.

I do remember reading tho, what works for some, does not work for everyone. Thus, vapor barrier experimenting being necessary and should result in a lighter gear kit for a lot of backpackers?

Happy Trails
    dp Dave
    dplightweightbackpackinggear.com

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Start small

I recommend neoprene socks as the first experiment with vapor barrier technique. Diver’s Supply sells them for about $10. They weight 4.0 oz. Compared to 2.7 oz. for UnderArmor synthetic socks or 3.6 oz. for SmartWools socks.

At the end of the day I GoldBond powder my feet and put on the neoprene socks. The foot box on my quilt stays drier. The socks pick up less debris than normal socks if you walk around camp. But the big advantage is that you can wear wet shoes over the neoprene socks without getting the socks wet. While I would not plan a 20 mile day wearing neoprene socks, they are comfortable enough for short hikes. Neoprene socks and trail runner shoes are excellent for snow shoeing.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    BIAS 11 ft; Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    Down bag/cc pad
    Suspension
    whoopies

I'll sleep in vapor barrier tonight at 19 degrees

I will be solo hanging tonight on a local mountain ridge at about 18 to 20 degrees F. My backpack weighs 7.3 pounds loaded with my winter sleep setup and all gear. Nano 7 with 15 degree down bag pulled peapod style around the hammock. Whoppies. Cuben fiber vapor barrier liner custom built for me by zpacks. Blackrock down had. Cuben fiber hammock tarp with doors from zpacks, pitched to the ground with doors shut. I'll hang inside from sundown, reading my Kindle, toasty warm. Smartwool longjohn top and bottoms inside the VPL. As backup, if the temperature would plummet, I could pull my down jacket inside the bag and put it on top of me, between the outside of the VBL and the inside top of the bag as a sort of quilt. Great setup. I feel significantly warmer in a VBL, and if out for more than one day, I'm glad to not have to carry around a pound or more of water weight per day trapped inside my bag.

All this talk about Sauna suits caused me to swing thru the workout section at Wally-World today and I found their $8 workout suit on closeout for $2. I bought 3- 2 for me and one for my S.i.L. camping partner.
    YMMV by store. I think they were overstocked at the store I was at as they had the same thing on their shelf marked at regular price.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    adjwebbing/whoopie
    not used one but have been looking into it thanks for the info.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Warbonnet UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    adjwebbing/whoopie
    thats a good idea about the frog toggs will have to keep that in mind

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Good thread. I'm mostly interested, because in wet environments, (kayaking) vb don't absorb much & dry fast. I expect my ix uq if wet from condensation would dry in sun and a light breeze in 5-10 min. Down uq probably 1/2-hr +. Not an issue in the AM, but significant at sunset. I also think damp ix would work better than damp down.
    I'll know by the end of the summer.

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

vapor barrier zzzzzzzzzz

Hangers,

A lot has changed at dp gear since our Oct 2011 vapor barrier post above ...

We, www.dplightweightbackpackinggear.com have incorporated vapor barrier engineering into our sleeping bag and quilts late 2012.

We feel vapor barrier technology is applicable with keeping gear both warm and light. Our user manual explains how to take advantage of our sleeping bag and under-quilt vapor barrier engineering.

With that we say, Long Live hiking light with vapor barrier'zzzzzzzzzzzzz
    dp Dave

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mointainfly
    Insulation
    WB Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    WB whoopie slings
    I've been backpacking for decades, but I'm new to hanging. My only experience with a VBL was 9 years ago when I used an Adventure Medical Kit ultralight bivy to supplement a 45* bag in 30* temps. Although it was somewhat vented and kept me just warm enough, my bag got pretty wet from condensation.

That was the only time I used the bivy, but I still have it and it's like new. I'll be using pads with my WBBB 1.1 double; I was wondering if the bivy would do any good sandwiched between the layers, and whether that could cause a moisture problem for my back. I don't need the bivy for top insulation.

Hammock
    dp gear .com
    Tarp
    dp gear .com
    Insulation
    dp gear .com
    Suspension
    dp gear .com

Wet Bag ...

Woody,

My first thought after reading about your Bivy experience was ... that happened to me also experimenting with Bivys.
    This happens with Bivys because ... the non-breathing waterproof fabric is to the outside with coldest air temp creating condesation toward the heat source.

I'm not sure there is solution with Bivys because to minimize condensation using vapor barriors, one needs to keep the non-breathing fabric (VB) closest to the highest heat source (you, at 98*) while keeping one's insulation nearest the outside cold temps.

So, having the vapor next to you or your 2nd layer, will maximize vapor barrier technology thus keeping your gear the warmest with the lightest weight which is www.dplightweightbackpackinggear.com total focus.

We aren't sure how much heat retaining temperature one gains using vapor barriers, but for the average person, we are thinking at least 15*.

Happy trailzzzzzzzzzzzz
    dp Dave

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast