Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Cool sailboat sail to a hammock..

alright heres my questions.
    I have a sail from a sailboat. its nice and plenty long enough to make a hammock from. but my ideas are going crazy in my head.

1. do i sow a fold in the end of it or should i just tie it up on the ends?

2. should i double layer it? i mean its pretty thick but i do like the idea of having a sleep pad in between two layers. but im also afraid it will be heavy.

3. im diffidently going to have extra fabric left over. going to make a gear hammock and maybe a sock? but how about those snake skins? any good? or a waste of time/fabric? i see them made but to me they look like they take up a lot of room when rolled up? can you then stuff them?

ok i think thats enough for now... thanks

Images
    Well, is it a mainsail or super light spinnaker, my guess is no matter which it should be strong enough for the average hanger, what do you weigh? I would search here on the DIY I think you will find a simple rectangle shape and gather the ends will do it.

Good luck!

swank

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i only weigh 125! but im 6' tall and i just unlrolled the sail and sadly it has a hole right in the middle of it, im going to try to work around that. but not positive i can do it now. and yeah its the main sail.

Images
    I would imagine that you can use dental floss for the suspension, Multi purpose!

I have experience repairing sails. I have a question about the hole in the center of the main. Did it somehow get hung up on a sharp point, or is the sail so worn that the material tears easily? It seems to me that your choice of fabric is not a good one, as there are a lot of other lighter, stronger and more comfortable fabrics for very little money.

On the other hand, bags made from used sails are considered quite chic these days

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    well the hole came from a nail where it was hanging on a wall. stupid me didnt see it last time i hung it up. yeah im not planning on taking this camping much, but something that i could use around the house, and possibly leave it up. i just wanted to use this, mainly because it was free!

If the hole is small, use a zig zag stitch with minimum stitch length to "darn" the torn area. Polyester thread in white.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    AHE New River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    It would probably make a better tarp then Hammock, don't know how breathable it would be, causing sweat or condensation buildup

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i think i can sow up the hole, and i might agree with you Firemedic, it is a pretty thick material. but i really just wanna make it so i can leave it in my backyard all year. im going to try sowing it up today! wish me luck!