Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: winter camping

  1. #11
    Member UrbanWild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Westwood, CA
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Siltarp2
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Posts
    73
    Images
    7
    I've decided to go with the UQ for winter--the extra pound and a half (or so) of weight will be worth it to have a pleasant nights sleep.

    I thank those that commented on this thread--I will def check out some different pad options for spring and fall use when the temps aren't quite so frosty.
    "YOU KIDS GET OUTSIDE AND AIR YOUR PANTS!"--MOM

  2. #12
    DuctTape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web & buckles
    Posts
    1,577
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by UrbanWild View Post
    I've decided to go with the UQ for winter--the extra pound and a half (or so) of weight will be worth it to have a pleasant nights sleep.

    I thank those that commented on this thread--I will def check out some different pad options for spring and fall use when the temps aren't quite so frosty.
    If yiu use pads when it isnt cold enough you will overheat and sweat. Pads are NOT a warmer weather solution. Many dismiss pads because they didnt work for them because they used them when it was too warm.

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Auburn, MA
    Hammock
    JRB BMB
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10'
    Insulation
    JRB TQ / UQ set
    Suspension
    JRB tri-glide
    Posts
    402
    Define winter? What's the overnight low?

    I use a pad and two UQs when camping below 0 deg F.
    Love my JRB BMB

  4. #14
    DuctTape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web & buckles
    Posts
    1,577
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    Define winter? What's the overnight low?

    I use a pad and two UQs when camping below 0 deg F.
    Good point.

    For me, pads are used exclusively in the teens and below. Teens are still late fall too. Winter is single digits and below. No UQ's for me at those temps... pads only. No need wasting body heat warming up the air in that much quilt volume. My low is negative 22*F.

  5. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Did you put ccf into the wings? What thickness?
    No. With this product, the wings do not have an open space for CCF. They already have a bit of insulation in them.

  6. #16
    DuctTape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web & buckles
    Posts
    1,577
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas-grrl View Post
    No. With this product, the wings do not have an open space for CCF. They already have a bit of insulation in them.
    I see. Obviously that little insulation isn;t nearly enough. If it were me, I'd either return it, or cut it and make it able to accept a section of ccf. Good luck!

  7. #17
    hikingdad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    New Richmond, WI
    Hammock
    Any Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Big Daddy or OMW
    Insulation
    Burrow & Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,536
    CryOTheWild recently did a trip to test his gear/self without bottom insulation and it got down into the teens.... Personally I'd need a quilt.

  8. #18
    New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    clintondale ny
    Hammock
    3 Clark NA,vertex,hennesy explorer
    Tarp
    oldman winter
    Insulation
    HG burrow/incubar
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Posts
    45
    I have used my Exped down 9 mat to 0 degree's with a top quilt and been quite warm. Although I am a very warmer sleeper

  9. #19
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,463
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by DuctTape View Post
    Good point.

    For me, pads are used exclusively in the teens and below. Teens are still late fall too. Winter is single digits and below. No UQ's for me at those temps... pads only. No need wasting body heat warming up the air in that much quilt volume. My low is negative 22*F.
    Could you remind me what thickness CCF you are using when expecting below zero temps? Do you use a thinner section under the legs, or is it all the same thickness. I have only done ~ 18F with CCF pads, but it was one full length Riderest ( 5/8" ?) plus a torso length "Ultralight" inflatable stacked on top in an SPE. Toasty!

    Quote Originally Posted by hikingdad View Post
    CryOTheWild recently did a trip to test his gear/self without bottom insulation and it got down into the teens.... Personally I'd need a quilt.
    He also has used an HH Super Shelter way below zero in high winds with just the one HH pad. I think he is pretty warm natured!
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  10. #20
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,463
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by yessirre View Post
    I have used my Exped down 9 mat to 0 degree's with a top quilt and been quite warm. Although I am a very warmer sleeper
    Was that in a hammock?
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •