Hammock
    Speer Hammock IIIC
    Tarp
    Speer WinterTarp
    Insulation
    Speer SnugFit
    Suspension
    AHE whoopie slings
    I discovered this trick when I was about 15 and camping on the south shore of Lake Superior in the early spring. We were in a tent on the beach and it got cold -- darned cold. My sleeping bag was lined with flannel on the inside and a thin canvas on the outside -- I shudder to think I spent my outdoor youth in suc a contraption.

We had a big beach fire that continued to burn and smolder after we turned in. The fire wa ringed with some small boulders. The boulders were nice and smooth. When I got chilled I got up and sat next to the fire and stoked it to warm up. I realized that the boulders ringing the fire were warm, and some were not too warm to the touch. So, when I headed back to bed, I brought a toasty boulder with me and tossed in into the foot of my bag -- it kept me nice and warm for hours. When the warmth dissipated, I just went out and stoked the fire again and grabbed another rock.

I assume a rock not too hot to touch would not melt nylon? It didn't harm my flannel lining other than to introduce a bit of dirt and sand. I assume water can get much hotter than the temperature of the rocks I was selecting, so wrapping the bottle in cloth to avoid burns makes sense. I suppose one could place a few rocks into a flannel pillowcase to allow some hotter rocks to be used and to avoid tacking dirt into one's bed. In a hammock one would have to tie the bottle or pillowcase to the foot end of the hammock to prevent it from migrating toward the center while sleeping?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'd just lay it on my belly and snuggle with it!

When picking rocks to put by the fire, don't get them from the river or out of the water. If there's any water trapped in a crack or a pocket in the rock, it can make the rock explode when the water heats and expands.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

i use one of these VS a hot water bottle..... 12-16 hours of heat on just 1.0 oz of fuel.

since it doesnt really burn (it catalyzes the fuel) i feel very safe using it in the foot box of my sleeping bag to keep my feet toasty all night and in my shirt pocket the rest of the time im not in the bag.... happiness is a warm boob on a cold day

http://www.zippo.com/products/handWarmer.aspx?bhcp=1
    Last edited by Racerman_27410; 05-05-2010 at 16:17.

New to the forums and just finding this topic. I've never used a hot water bottle, but generally use a found rock. A little smaller half the size of a soccer ball, I suppose I always think of it as cannon ball size for some reason...throw it in the fire for about an hour and a half. Fish it out of the fire and either roll it into a small towel of some such. I have a little canvas pouch that I roll it into. It will stay warm all night. You can pick up a new rock where ever you are, unless of course you get attached to your rock and want to carry it around

Hammock
    WBBB; WBRR; WBXLC;HH Exped
    Tarp
    Superfly; JRB Ulti
    Insulation
    HG TQ&UQ; AHE; WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images

Thumbs up Another heat source ...

I have used this in a tent, and on plain ground when 'minimalist' camping. Put some medium (fist sized) rocks or stones in your campfire (NEVER use wet stones ...they could explode from the steam build-up!).

Dig a shallow line trench right under where you will be sleeping, and move the stones (using tongs from sticks) in the trench, and even being above it, put a small layer of dirt or sand over them. Disperses the heat, and keeps them from being cooled-off too quickly by wind.

The hot stones will send heat upward for hours. Warms yer bottom!

SkyPainter

Hammock
    Gnome 1.5sl, WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide Whoopies

Thumbs up Gotta try this

I've heard of this trick many times but have never tried it. Really like the sock idea. I have a couple worn and stretched out wool socks that would be perfect for this. Thanks for the reminder...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    I've been using a rubber water bottle that I bought from Walmart. It's the kind that comes with all kinds of hoses and nozzles and such so it can be used as a douche bag or an enema. No need for all those fancy accessories, so I just kept the water bottle. I like it because it's flat when empty and it seals very well and doesn't leak. I fill it with hot water and then stuff it down into the toe area of my sleeping bag. Very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

I just know that pee bottles feel warm, so it makes sense to keep them in there for a while! But at some point I think there will be a diminishing return until it's sucking a little bit of heat.
    Ok, let's talk about pee bottles. Do you get out of your hammock to pee in the bottle or do you have a trick for using it inside the hammock? I would love to be able to pee without getting out of my hammock, but I can't figure out how to do it without causing a disaster.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BushMedic View Post
    I've heard of this trick many times but have never tried it. Really like the sock idea. I have a couple worn and stretched out wool socks that would be perfect for this. Thanks for the reminder...
    You'll love it. Like having your own little furnace inside your sleeping bag.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gila_dog View Post
    I would love to be able to pee without getting out of my hammock, but I can't figure out how to do it without causing a disaster.
    Takes a bit of practice, but for the fellas, this is an easy one.

On a side-zip, or top-loading, hammock you just lean out. Seriously, it takes a bit of balance control, but it avoids getting all the way out from under your warm quilts. One must be very diligent about where one keeps his boots (or goats), but that's the only real obstacle. Again, practice is required.
    Trust nobody!

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 86 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast