Page 43 of 58 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 421 to 430 of 574
  1. #421
    Member Buzz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Eugene, Or
    Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC, Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Warbonnet Straps
    Posts
    58

    Using A Hot Water Bottle To Stay Warm

    Used one for the first time in 17 degree weather. Wow what a difference!

  2. #422
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    West Michigan
    Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Posts
    156

    Using A Hot Water Bottle To Stay Warm

    Joe that was that sat night when it was -4. I was in my hammock too! That night I didn't do the water bag treatment Sunday night I did and I was like omg even though I didn't need it it was awesome!

  3. #423
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    West Michigan
    Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw
    Posts
    156

    Using A Hot Water Bottle To Stay Warm

    Oh and I am in Holland mi so I know where au sable is north of me.

  4. #424
    Gary_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Posts
    1,267
    OK question out of curiosity... Would putting the hot water in your Nalgene then sticking them in your boots and capping them off trapping the heat help dry your boots out if they got wet? I have never had my Nalgene sweat... so I would think it would help a good amount. Just thoughts...

  5. #425
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northwest Lower Michigan
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_R View Post
    OK question out of curiosity... Would putting the hot water in your Nalgene then sticking them in your boots and capping them off trapping the heat help dry your boots out if they got wet? I have never had my Nalgene sweat... so I would think it would help a good amount. Just thoughts...
    I'm no expert, but I would say it would have no drying effect at all. Drying is all about the moisture leaving the boot and going somewhere else. Capping the boots would prevent any drying from taking place. It would create a warm, humid environment for a while, before becoming cold and wet, followed by cinder-block frozen, like my wading shoes were after the first night of the trip. (Note: stocking foot waders are NOT recommended for a multi-day sub-zero kayak adventure)

    I think getting those boots by the fire is probably the only way to dry them, short of a day in the summer sun.

  6. #426
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northwest Lower Michigan
    Posts
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    Joe that was that sat night when it was -4. I was in my hammock too! That night I didn't do the water bag treatment Sunday night I did and I was like omg even though I didn't need it it was awesome!
    Yeah - Saturday night woulda been the night for the water bottle. Where were you hanging? And what was your setup? I have zero experience with hammocks, but hope to change that this summer.

  7. #427
    New Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Merritt Island, FL
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    That's cool!

    This is a wonderful trick and works splendidly. I have used it several times for those nights when you just can't get warm for whatever reason. Placed right against the Femoral Artery and you can feel the warmth through your body almost immediately.
    Where is your femoral artrery, I figure somewhere near your femur but how do you find it

  8. #428
    Gary_R's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Pacific NW
    Hammock
    HH Explorer UL with Mod 4
    Tarp
    Gargoyle Custom
    Insulation
    Leigh'Lo/HG
    Suspension
    Adjustable Straps
    Posts
    1,267
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe226 View Post
    I'm no expert, but I would say it would have no drying effect at all. Drying is all about the moisture leaving the boot and going somewhere else. Capping the boots would prevent any drying from taking place. It would create a warm, humid environment for a while, before becoming cold and wet, followed by cinder-block frozen, like my wading shoes were after the first night of the trip. (Note: stocking foot waders are NOT recommended for a multi-day sub-zero kayak adventure)

    I think getting those boots by the fire is probably the only way to dry them, short of a day in the summer sun.
    except newer boots are designed to wick the moisture away.. so while your hiking and creating heat its wicking and evaporating out of the boot.
    So why wouldn't adding a dry heat source to the boot (closed Nalgene is dry) help in that? closing off the top of the boot would just prolong the heat..
    Letting them freeze would not remove moisture for sure.. but keeping it warm might help.. And sure wouldn't hurt in the morning.
    Last edited by Gary_R; 03-01-2013 at 17:18.

  9. #429
    Senior Member spamburglar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveller
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    LeighLo quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies for now
    Posts
    705
    Images
    3

    Re: Using A Hot Water Bottle To Stay Warm

    Quote Originally Posted by floridaman View Post
    Where is your femoral artrery, I figure somewhere near your femur but how do you find it
    Just stick the bottle between your thighs up high in the groin area. Thats the optimal place. The femoral artery runs up the inner thigh
    "Go sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here"~Jack Nicholson/As Good As It Gets

  10. #430
    canoebie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Super Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings, dc
    Posts
    2,555
    If you have had 1st aid training and were taught the major pressure points on the body for bleeding, those are the areas where a hot water bottle is most effective.

    I use one almost every night now. I put it in before bed, crawling into a warm bed is just the best. I can move it and adjust it depending on what is cold. I also enjoy the warm drink in the morning upon arising from the deep sleep.
    Revolution is about the need to re-evolve political, economic and social justice and power back into the hands of the people, preferably through legislation and policies that make human sense. That's what revolution is about. Revolution is not about shootouts.

    Bobby Seale


    http://www.riverjourneys.org

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •