Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    matmore74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, Mo
    Hammock
    Bliss, Eagles Nest, DIY made.$$
    Tarp
    DIY made
    Insulation
    DIY System
    Suspension
    DIY straps
    Posts
    34
    Images
    27

    Space blanket as part of....

    I been think of a way to stay warm with out so much gear like a underquilt.($$) I don't have the time to really make a quilt and or the money.
    So, I been using a sleeping bag as the quilt and and fleece liner and a second sleeping bag.
    I still found I get chiled. So, I bought a space blanket and put it on the inside of my tarp area and a few (4) of alumanum pans with hot rocks from the fire and covered them with alumanum like box heaters or a hand warmer.
    I found that the heat will stay and the space blanket works great. If you block one open end and most of the other end when you go to sleep and block the bottom with snow and clean the ground the best you can and lay a pad were your feet and shoe will go wow even that area is cold but not as bad. I also found if you bring a old milk jug you don't have to really get up in the middle of the night to pee. Do you see were this is going? I wanted to take a picture but I lost my camera on the track in.
    Tell me what you think after you try the idea. I was thinking of doing a tarp and sawing in on to the main area of the tarp.Like I said I have little time for sewing and buying all the things. I sew when I can and the rest is with work or my kids and when I get a chance I go camping.
    M.Whitmore

  2. #2
    mbiraman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Kootenays,BC,Canada
    Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Posts
    4,372
    Images
    7
    ccf blue pads from wallmart work well and are cheap. You could also use a nalgene bottle filled with hot water and then put in a sock. That also helps.

    bill.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

    “The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

    www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

  3. #3
    New Member Firewalker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ludlow, KY.
    Posts
    13
    You can also use reflective windshield/dashboard protectors under you in your hammock. They are light and very cheep. Also if you can zip your sleeping bags around you and your hammock instead of hanging one under you it will keep you much warmer(like a peapod). On my first Mt Rogers trip i used two square walmart sleeping bags and safty pinned the foot end to keep it closed around the hammock. It got down below zero all three nights that weekend. I actualy got too hot at night and had to open the pea pod up to cool off.

  4. #4
    nryche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Everett, wa
    Hammock
    Hennessy
    Tarp
    HEX
    Insulation
    Super Shelter
    Posts
    128
    +1 on all of the above mentioned.. The answer to the space blanket is... Yes it will help. Don't buy a cheap dollar style.. I have found that the SOL survival blanket is the best for durability. I use a space blanket once the temps drop below 40 degrees. Been down below 25 with just a Walmart CF pad and space blanket under me and a sleeping bag as top quilt..

  5. #5
    matmore74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, Mo
    Hammock
    Bliss, Eagles Nest, DIY made.$$
    Tarp
    DIY made
    Insulation
    DIY System
    Suspension
    DIY straps
    Posts
    34
    Images
    27
    Wow, thanks you guys are given me so great ideas to think about and to enprove on. Do you guys have any more thoughts?
    M.Whitmore

  6. #6
    New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Willard, MO
    Hammock
    komah hammock(DIY)
    Tarp
    DIY sil cat
    Insulation
    Down baby!
    Suspension
    The whoopie
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Firewalker View Post
    You can also use reflective windshield/dashboard protectors under you in your hammock. They are light and very cheep. Also if you can zip your sleeping bags around you and your hammock instead of hanging one under you it will keep you much warmer(like a peapod). On my first Mt Rogers trip i used two square walmart sleeping bags and safty pinned the foot end to keep it closed around the hammock. It got down below zero all three nights that weekend. I actualy got too hot at night and had to open the pea pod up to cool off.
    I have used use the windshield reflectors and a thermorest. I prefer the reflector for bike packing, but for hiking I like the thermorest. I love the versatility of the reflector(ground mat, hammy liner, stretching pad, and will not potentially spring a leak) and the comfort of the thermorest. The reflector is CHEAP, but not as comfy as the thermorest. The one major drawback of the reflector I have found is that it seems to hold in a bit more moisture, but the heat retention is very good. Overall, I use the thermorest if there is room, but for rugged going I take the reflector. Either way, I will be hanging!

  7. #7
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,466
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by matmore74 View Post
    Wow, thanks you guys are given me so great ideas to think about and to enprove on. Do you guys have any more thoughts?
    Just today I noticed the WM 20" wide pads are $7.50, and the 24" wide egg crate model ( not sure if it would be as warm as the 20" wide model ) was about twice that.

    For ~ $15, you could get 2 pads, cut one down and make a "T" shape, which would be plenty wide in the shoulders and double thick/warm in that section. You will have to figure out a way of keeping it all together: glue, Duct tape, poke some holes and run some cord through them, etc.

    Depending on what kind of bag you have, you might could make it into a pod style setup, like this:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=PeaPod

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27487

    If needed, you can still boost that system with pads, space blankets or extra clothing stuffed between your back and the bag/pod.

    Good luck!
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Posts
    3,912
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Just today I noticed the WM 20" wide pads are $7.50, and the 24" wide egg crate model ( not sure if it would be as warm as the 20" wide model ) was about twice that.

    For ~ $15, you could get 2 pads, cut one down and make a "T" shape, which would be plenty wide in the shoulders and double thick/warm in that section. You will have to figure out a way of keeping it all together: glue, Duct tape, poke some holes and run some cord through them, etc.

    Depending on what kind of bag you have, you might could make it into a pod style setup, like this:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ghlight=PeaPod

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=27487

    If needed, you can still boost that system with pads, space blankets or extra clothing stuffed between your back and the bag/pod.

    Good luck!

    Check the pads for stiffness. What I have found is the cheaper flat pad is a polyethlene feeling hard, stiff pad while the egg crate has a finer grain/cell size and is way more flexible. The flexibility makes it more comfortable and more form fitting.

  9. #9
    SkyPainter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Stoneham, MA
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl; WB RidgeRunner; HH Ex
    Tarp
    WB Superfly, Camo
    Insulation
    AHE: HG T&UQ: Lynx
    Suspension
    Multiple Types
    Posts
    2,585
    Images
    28
    Look up a Dakota Fire hole/pit. Also look up a self-feeding fire. One small one (about 6" wide) with that style of fire lay will toss a lot of heat for a long time.

    Two, one at the foot end, and one at the head end, under your tarp will heat it up tremendously! Make sure that you use dry wood sticks, and no greenery (smoke). The hot coals will provide heat for a long, long, time.

    Something to think about.

    ~ Sky
    SkyPainter - "... and then the police came."

    All these years people said,"He's acting like a kid!"
    He did not know that he could not fly, and so, he DID!

    Live Purposefully; Dare Greatly; Land Gently

    "Never knock on Death's door - just ring the bell and run! He hates that!"

    My outdoorsy YouTube channel is: "WMICommissioner"

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Kansas City, KS
    Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    20* bag, PL, HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Posts
    1,168
    Years ago, a variation on using fire to heat your area that I'd learned and used (that is NOT leave not trace) was to dig a shallow pit about the size of your body, and build a sizable fire in it. Build up a good, solid bed of coals...then cover the coals over with the dirt you dug out. The "trick" here is to try to get the right amount of dirt back on top of the coals. Too much dirt, and all the heat from the coals leaches back into the ground away from you...too little and it gets too hot and/or you run the risk of stepping on a hot coal.

    Used to be a common practice for ground sleeping by travelers waaayyy back in the day...and it can radiate enough heat up to keep you warm in your hammock under a tarp today.

    Again...it's most definitely NOT a LNT practice...but it is another way you can heat your environment if you need to.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •