Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Years ago, a variation on using fire to heat your area that I'd learned and used (that is NOT leave not trace) was to dig a shallow pit about the size of your body, and build a sizable fire in it. Build up a good, solid bed of coals...then cover the coals over with the dirt you dug out. The "trick" here is to try to get the right amount of dirt back on top of the coals. Too much dirt, and all the heat from the coals leaches back into the ground away from you...too little and it gets too hot and/or you run the risk of stepping on a hot coal.

Used to be a common practice for ground sleeping by travelers waaayyy back in the day...and it can radiate enough heat up to keep you warm in your hammock under a tarp today.

Again...it's most definitely NOT a LNT practice...but it is another way you can heat your environment if you need to.
    What an interesting tip! This would be a great thing to remember if one was ever in a true survival situation.
    "For myself I hold no preferences among flowers, so long as they are wild, free, spontaneous.
    Bricks to all greenhouses! Black thumb and cutworm to the potted plant!" - Edward Abbey

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    Quote Originally Posted by SusanDerkins View Post
    What an interesting tip! This would be a great thing to remember if one was ever in a true survival situation.
    I would agree that it's not very practical unless you were to find yourself in a bad situation...but I can think of simpler variants to use if need be too.

When I started tent camping as a kid, we'd take some of the galvanized steel 'horse buckets' we used on the farm. When we got setup, we'd fill them full of sand or rocks from where we were camping, and then set them up around the fire as a fire ring. (we always made sure that the rocks we gathered weren't porous or wet)

Let them sit there sucking up heat from our fire for hours, and then as we got ready to go into the tents, we'd bring them in and set them on the ground (our old tent didn't have a floor). They'd radiate heat most of the night.

I'd consider "borrowing" some rocks from around a fire ring and putting them on the ground under my tarp if I wanted to try to raise the temp inside the tarp for a bit. Put them back around the fire in the morning, and there ya go.

And don't forget the nalgene bottle full of hot/warm water in the sleeping bag...also a goodie.

Therma-sleeper

Total Newb here. I'm planning (hoping it works) to use a ThermaPad in my set up. It looks like it's just a specialized windshield reflector (which has already been suggested) redesigned for the purpose of reflecting body heat. It's super light if not super small. I've tried it on the ground and seems to work pretty well.
    Anyway, here's the site if anyone is interested. btw, it even mentions hammocks in the description

http://thermasleeper.com/shop/thermapad

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.1
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow & Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Has anyone tried the Hennessy Radiant Double Bubble Pad? It is silvered and has bubbles in it and looks like it should work better than a windshield reflector. See:
    http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/insulation/

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Years ago, a variation on using fire to heat your area that I'd learned and used (that is NOT leave not trace) was to dig a shallow pit about the size of your body, and build a sizable fire in it. Build up a good, solid bed of coals...then cover the coals over with the dirt you dug out. The "trick" here is to try to get the right amount of dirt back on top of the coals. Too much dirt, and all the heat from the coals leaches back into the ground away from you...too little and it gets too hot and/or you run the risk of stepping on a hot coal.

Used to be a common practice for ground sleeping by travelers waaayyy back in the day...and it can radiate enough heat up to keep you warm in your hammock under a tarp today.

Again...it's most definitely NOT a LNT practice...but it is another way you can heat your environment if you need to.
    We saw that first hand in the movie Jeremiah Johnson in 1972 with Robert Redford.
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    wbbb,streamliner,GTUL
    Tarp
    Supafly,HG cuben
    Insulation
    JRBmt4,diy,AHE
    Suspension
    whooopieee
    yep made a double layer relectixpad for winter, made it down to mid 30s with 2 military patrol sleeping bags. those bag are now a summer underquilt, and top quilt diy of course. cost on both bags were 26 bucks, and I use the windsheild reflector. You can get the sleeping bags on army gear.net., weight is 2lbs but gets lighter when you cut the giant zipper off.

Hammock
    Dogger special
    Tarp
    HG CF 12' camo
    Insulation
    HG Buro & Incu 0+2
    Suspension
    Woopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme Napper View Post
    Has anyone tried the Hennessy Radiant Double Bubble Pad? It is silvered and has bubbles in it and looks like it should work better than a windshield reflector. See:
    http://hennessyhammock.com/catalog/insulation/
    I am currently using the radiant double bubble pad I have made it down to 34* f. Bag is a cats meow 20* and a woobie. I stayed very comfortable.
    Life has no remote. Get up and change it yourself!

Hammock
    ENO Reactor Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    USMC MSS&BugNet
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    I use a space blanket as well, but I also purchased an old MSS Sleep System and converting the heavy liner into a under quilt.

Senior Member I'm a hammock lover's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO doublenest olive/tan
    Tarp
    ENO pro fly olive
    Insulation
    UQ, & DIY TQ,
    Suspension
    warbonnett webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Firewalker View Post
    You can also use reflective windshield/dashboard protectors under you in your hammock. They are light and very cheep. Also if you can zip your sleeping bags around you and your hammock instead of hanging one under you it will keep you much warmer(like a peapod). On my first Mt Rogers trip i used two square walmart sleeping bags and safty pinned the foot end to keep it closed around the hammock. It got down below zero all three nights that weekend. I actualy got too hot at night and had to open the pea pod up to cool off.
    I live on a farm. And last year we built a new pole barn. On the roof of the pole barn they lined it with insulation that is about a 1/4" thick of plastic that resembled bubble wrap, without the "pop". One side is clear while the other is silver reflective like a survival blanket. I'm not sure where you would find this, but it would be great for your situation. Reflective, and insulated.
    Jonah,
    Then Jonah said, "I am a Hebrew, I worship Yahweh, the god of the heavens, who made the sea, and dry land.".
    Jonah 1:9 HCSV

"If the Arabs put down their guns, there would be no more war. If Israel put down their guns, there would be no more Israel."
    -Yoni Netanyahu

Hammock
    WBBB, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    HG cuben fiber
    Insulation
    HG 20*,UGQ 20*FJ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Hi Folks, I'm new in the forum and hammocks, so I'm seeing the use of windshield protectors for warmth reflection . Are you strapping them outside the hammock or just laying on them in the hammock. Thanks, Dale
    My apologies if it's been beaten to death in other posts but my search failed.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast