Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vandalia, OH
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Posts
    606
    Images
    17

    Looking To Hang Near Central Park, NYC

    I'm heading to NYC in early April for a guitar jam session with some buddies. Once there I want to take public transportation to and from my camp/hang spot, probably late at night. I don't mind a reasonable transit.

    The studio we are playing at is on the south end of Central Park, so that is the landmark I'll use.

    Any thoughts?

    I've looked at state parks and all seem to be over an hour away. I'm hoping I'm missing something.
    (WM)===:::

  2. #2
    Deadphans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    New Jersey
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1, DIY tablecloth, WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    diy, tewa, speer
    Suspension
    whooooopie
    Posts
    1,518
    Hang in Columbus circle...then right across the street, at the corner of the park you can get yourself some coffee and delicious treats....

    Jk don't do that you would be stopped by cops real fast!

    Have fun with the guitar jam, you guys need a drummer?
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

  3. #3
    Suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pleasantville, ny
    Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Golite/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Posts
    473
    Doesn't sound at all like a good idea to spend the night in any NYC park.
    John aka Suede

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vandalia, OH
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Posts
    606
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Space4DaPoppa View Post
    Doesn't sound at all like a good idea to spend the night in any NYC park.
    Not just a park but one that has campsites. A state park, KOA, etc.
    (WM)===:::

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vandalia, OH
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Posts
    606
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    Hang in Columbus circle...then right across the street, at the corner of the park you can get yourself some coffee and delicious treats....

    Jk don't do that you would be stopped by cops real fast!

    Have fun with the guitar jam, you guys need a drummer?
    The group has a few drummers in it that are either also guitar players or prior drummers turned guitar player.
    (WM)===:::

  6. #6
    New Member hangingforpeace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Avon, CT.
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Foam Pad
    Suspension
    Straps caribener
    Posts
    13
    I thought about doing the same thing as I walked through central park one night.!! I think the cops would stop you unless you did it stealthy!!

  7. #7
    Suede's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pleasantville, ny
    Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Golite/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    Posts
    473
    I have been trying to think of a park where you could camp, and was also close to transportation. I live north of the city and the only place I can think of that is near a train are the Highlands - not exactly a park per se but a really beautiful area with lots of trees and trails. It is probably about an hour train ride north of the city out of grand central on the hudson river line, just north of Cold Springs, NY. A little closer in is Croton Harmon (about 45 min up). There are actual camp grounds there that are right on the Hudson river (beautiful spot with water views). You would have about a 10-15 min walk from the train station.
    John aka Suede

  8. #8
    Whoooo Buddy)))) Shug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Hammock
    DIY GreenBeanHammock
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps/HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Frankenquilt/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    14,491
    Images
    62
    You may want to check out John Jay Park on the East Side....go a bit north of 79th St.
    River view and small but some small wood nooks there.
    Used to live by John Jay for years.
    Shug
    Whoooo Buddy)))) I Love Onions, Grits, Greens, Livermush, NC Style BBQ, Potted Meat, Anchovies, 'Naner Puddin", Peanut Butter Pie, Red Velvet Cake and Cocoa and Straaaaaawwwwberrrry Milk and Coffee Crisps....
    I Hope Heaven has a Bakery!!!!



    Shug's YouTube Videos

    Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs

    Shug and Friends Jammin'

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vandalia, OH
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Posts
    606
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Space4DaPoppa View Post
    I have been trying to think of a park where you could camp, and was also close to transportation. I live north of the city and the only place I can think of that is near a train are the Highlands - not exactly a park per se but a really beautiful area with lots of trees and trails. It is probably about an hour train ride north of the city out of grand central on the hudson river line, just north of Cold Springs, NY. A little closer in is Croton Harmon (about 45 min up). There are actual camp grounds there that are right on the Hudson river (beautiful spot with water views). You would have about a 10-15 min walk from the train station.
    Thanks for the information. I was looking in that direction to see what's up there. I would normally not be concerned with a 10-15 walk but on both nights I'll be there I'll be carrying a guitar and we getting back to "wherever" during drunken hours, like 3am or such.

    I did find a source for "NYC Campers" but most of them were like you mentioned or a combination of taking a train out then a greyhound or other bus thing.

    When you mentioned "Highlands" I thought you meant New Jersey. I have family across the Lower Bay in Highlands near Sandy Hook but that's also pretty far away for someone who wants to use public transportation.
    (WM)===:::

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Vandalia, OH
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler DL 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    Mikey C. Easy-Bake
    Posts
    606
    Images
    17
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    You may want to check out John Jay Park on the East Side....go a bit north of 79th St.
    River view and small but some small wood nooks there.
    Used to live by John Jay for years.
    Shug
    I'll check that out, thanks. A big part of using any of the suggestions is getting there using public transportation at drunken hours.

    I highly suspect after our sessions there will be some after-jam sessions at a watering hole somewhere.
    (WM)===:::

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •