Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 157
  1. #21
    Senior Member Mustardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Posts
    2,302
    Images
    42
    Kenosha East was one of the places being considered for the fall hang as well - if it's only a difference of a mile or so, we could perhaps plan the hang for Kenosha East, and those who want to be adventurous could set up camp further up, while newer people hang closer to the cars. It could be a "best of both worlds" sort of thing, with a short hike one direction or the other to visit campfires.

    I often have trouble motivating myself to take a dayhike at these gatherings because I'm talking gear and sharing food the whole time, but knowing that there might be a fire waiting at the other end might make it a bit easier

  2. #22
    OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Snipe WinterGnome
    Tarp
    TtTTG 12x10
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ, HG 3/4UQ
    Suspension
    stock
    Posts
    4,179
    Images
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by fuhgawee View Post
    just passing by, had to say....

    OB Awesome pic, wishing I had that view right now, instead of a desk full of work.
    Thanks glad you enjoyed them and got a little break from your work load.
    I make that trip every winter it is a highlite of my winter hanging.
    Even if the official winter group hang selects another place I will be do this trip again this winter.
    The trip is open to anyone with good gear and a little winter camping experience. I'll post an invite after the holidays.
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

  3. #23
    OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Snipe WinterGnome
    Tarp
    TtTTG 12x10
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ, HG 3/4UQ
    Suspension
    stock
    Posts
    4,179
    Images
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    Kenosha East was one of the places being considered for the fall hang as well - if it's only a difference of a mile or so, we could perhaps plan the hang for Kenosha East, and those who want to be adventurous could set up camp further up, while newer people hang closer to the cars. It could be a "best of both worlds" sort of thing, with a short hike one direction or the other to visit campfires.

    I often have trouble motivating myself to take a dayhike at these gatherings because I'm talking gear and sharing food the whole time, but knowing that there might be a fire waiting at the other end might make it a bit easier
    In the Fall Kenosha Pass is so packed with visitors I no longer go up there but in winter it's a wonderland with only day hikers/snowshoeing.
    The campground will be empty, the gate is open to the sites and the bathroom is open. There is no firewood.

    Wind and night time temps are the only things that can't be predicted.
    Last year I had an open winter hang which had to be cut short. Temp prediction was for 40F day 20F night.
    We got a 5F night with 15mph sustained winds. I slept well with 20 degree quilts a 2QZQ UQP, heavy down jacket,
    insulated over pants, down booties. But the wind is what sent us home early, it was relentless.

    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Mustardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Posts
    2,302
    Images
    42
    I'm sold - if there are no objections, I think we should hold it in Kenosha East campground, with the option to follow O&B to hang out a little further from the campground and cars if you so choose. Any thoughts on dates?

  5. #25
    OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Snipe WinterGnome
    Tarp
    TtTTG 12x10
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ, HG 3/4UQ
    Suspension
    stock
    Posts
    4,179
    Images
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I'm sold - if there are no objections, I think we should hold it in Kenosha East campground, with the option to follow O&B to hang out a little further from the campground and cars if you so choose. Any thoughts on dates?
    My calendar was open right after the 1st however my wife just informed me we will be spending Jan 1 thru Jan 5 in Glenwood and Aspen.
    So I am free any weekend after the 5th. Nailing down a date soon would help others with there schedules.

    Is anyone in contact with JustJeff? Is he deployed?
    Would love for him to attend. He has the absolute best hanging and gear tips.
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

  6. #26
    rhinoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denver'ish, CO
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev / Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    61
    I thought I remember seeing a post where Jeff said he was available in February but I can't find it now.

    Good dates for me at this point are: Jan 19-20, Feb 2-3, 9-10, 16-17, 23-24
    Last edited by rhinoman; 12-14-2012 at 11:08. Reason: Date correction
    Where ever you go, there you are?

  7. #27
    OutandBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Snipe WinterGnome
    Tarp
    TtTTG 12x10
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ, HG 3/4UQ
    Suspension
    stock
    Posts
    4,179
    Images
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by rhinoman View Post
    I thought I remember seeing a post where Jeff said he was available in February but I can't find it now.

    Good dates for me at this point are: Jan 19-20, Feb 2-3, 9-10, 16-17, 23-24
    All those dates work for me, would enjoy hanging with you again rhinoman

    This might be a little self center of me but if Jeff can make it in Feb my vote would be the weekend he can make it.
    O&B
    May your mileage in the backcountry exceed your post count.

  8. #28
    rhinoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Denver'ish, CO
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE Rev / Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    All those dates work for me, would enjoy hanging with you again rhinoman
    Likewise!

    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    This might be a little self center of me but if Jeff can make it in Feb my vote would be the weekend he can make it.
    This gets my vote as well!
    Where ever you go, there you are?

  9. #29
    Senior Member Just Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    8,012
    Images
    32
    We have some things up in the air right now with Air Force travel...late Jan, and probably all of Feb minus the last weekend, would be my best options.

    Might be moving to VA this summer, too...so this will be my last winter hang for a while!
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

    - My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

    IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

  10. #30

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Kansas City
    Hammock
    HH/ WBRR
    Tarp
    OES / Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UG
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    The trip is open to anyone with good gear and a little winter camping experience. I'll post an invite after the holidays.
    Thanks, doubtful this time but I do want to pop in on one of the hangs. Think I have enough down ;^)

    I grew up in Denver, went to WSC in Gunnison. Always enjoyed coming over Kenosha, the view of southpark.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •