Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 41
  1. #31
    Senior Member Nest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    627
    Images
    5
    I have seen the beding actually happen with my Camp Nano biners. I didn't wrap the webbing right, and the biner wasn't centered on the tree, but slightly to the side. This made the webbing pull the top of the biner toward the center of the tree trying to center itself, but couldn't because I wrapped the webbing around the tree twice. As I was laying in the hammock I happened to look at the biner, and noticed that it was twisted and bent enough to have opened up. Went back to normal and hasen't hurt the biner from what I can see, but I definately wan't the overkill on the main biner for that reason. I will point out that I use a structural ridgeline, so I put more force than someone who doesn't Like with a Speer or slap strap setup.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

  2. #32
    Senior Member Mustardman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Posts
    2,302
    Images
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    I have seen the beding actually happen with my Camp Nano biners. I didn't wrap the webbing right, and the biner wasn't centered on the tree, but slightly to the side. This made the webbing pull the top of the biner toward the center of the tree trying to center itself, but couldn't because I wrapped the webbing around the tree twice. As I was laying in the hammock I happened to look at the biner, and noticed that it was twisted and bent enough to have opened up.
    I have quite a bit of experience with these 'biners, including using them extensively climbing, and I'd have to say that I am skeptical of your interpretation of what happened. The open gate strength of the nano is 7 kilonewtons, or about 1500 pounds force. I am having a hard time envisioning a way you could load the biner that would produce enough force to actually twist the spine enough to open the gate.

    My theory: The wiregate on the nano is wider than the spine itself, so it's far more likely that the wire gate itself was pushing or twisting against the tree in a way that opened it without substantially deforming the aluminum spine of the carabiner.

    This is something climbers deal with on a regular basis - when you're building an anchor a couple hundred feet off the deck, you have to be really careful about crossloading a biner or putting it in a situation where its gate will rub against the rock, because you want to prevent that gate from opening.

  3. #33
    Senior Member Nest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    627
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustardman View Post
    I have quite a bit of experience with these 'biners, including using them extensively climbing, and I'd have to say that I am skeptical of your interpretation of what happened. The open gate strength of the nano is 7 kilonewtons, or about 1500 pounds force. I am having a hard time envisioning a way you could load the biner that would produce enough force to actually twist the spine enough to open the gate.

    My theory: The wiregate on the nano is wider than the spine itself, so it's far more likely that the wire gate itself was pushing or twisting against the tree in a way that opened it without substantially deforming the aluminum spine of the carabiner.

    This is something climbers deal with on a regular basis - when you're building an anchor a couple hundred feet off the deck, you have to be really careful about crossloading a biner or putting it in a situation where its gate will rub against the rock, because you want to prevent that gate from opening.
    Could be. I was looking at it above my head at an odd agle and partly from my peripheral vision slightly out of the top corner of my eye. In other words, all I saw was that the gate was open, and things weren't lining up. Nice to know that it wasn't anything close to being bad.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

  4. #34
    i bet that's what happened too, the gate probably had pressure on it sideways.

    biners flex too and that doesn't mean they are about to snap (although i know a couple folks who have broken climbing rated biners during climbing falls). there is clearence between the nose and the pin (or the end of the wire loop in the case of a wire gate) force causes the biner to flex to the point that the gate comes into contact with the nose and the flex stops, but they are somewhat flexible. i'd say the biggest difference between the nano and the 500 kg biner is the gate itself, they are probably alot closer to eachother with an open gate strength than they are closed gate considering the weights. i also don't know that i would worry about a little flex, especially in a non-life threatening situation.

    those biners appear to be identical to the treklight ones (probably where they got them, especially considering the engraveing treklight has on the side along with the exact same rating and design) and i haven't heard of any problems with the treklights and they've been used in that application for awhile now by several hf members. they are somewhat lighter than the nanos too aren't they? but i guess if you're using an adjustable webbing suspension with 25+ feet of webbing + adjustment hardware and 2 biners you obviously aren't a gram weenie so a fully rated biner is still a reasonable alternative. folks seem do seem to like the treklights though.
    Last edited by warbonnetguy; 12-17-2008 at 00:14.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Granted I am currently using climbers biners, but they replaced 2 key ring biners rated to only 300 lbs & they held me (208 Lbs plus gear) for 5 nights. My at home & work hanging system is from 2 biners rated to 600 Lbs & I hang from them attatched directly to eye bolts in the walls.

    I suspect that 1100 Lb biners should do just fine.
    where did you get biners rated to 600 or 300, i never see ratings on the side of accessory biners, just "not for climbing"

  6. #36
    Bug-Bait's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Baltimore, MD
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Posts
    567
    Images
    29
    Count me in on 4 biners.

  7. #37
    Senior Member NCPatrick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Posts
    9,041
    Images
    40
    I'd be interested in 6 in a group buy. I've been using 2 Treklight biners for over a year now with good results.


    "Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
    - John Burroughs

  8. #38
    Mule's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Kokomo IN
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    ZPACK CUBEN
    Insulation
    quilts
    Suspension
    Web'g cinch buckle
    Posts
    3,281
    Images
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    I'd be interested in 6 in a group buy. I've been using 2 Treklight biners for over a year now with good results.
    Me too. I used to be a 160 pound weakling and now I'm a 210 pound weakling and it holds me up. Mule
    There are only two kinds of people that understand Marines: Marines and the enemy. Everyone else has a second-hand opinion.
    Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

  9. #39
    jeffjenn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    sw,va
    Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Posts
    654
    Images
    23
    Does anyone know if multiple colors are available in a group buy???
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!!"

  10. #40
    Senior Member Cannibal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Posts
    13,919
    Images
    136
    I WANT SOME!!! If there is a group buy, I'm down for 6.

    If these are the same as the TL biners, I'm not worried in the slightest. At least not for the way I hang, which is pretty much the same as most using a buckle system of some sort. I've got well over 300 nights (probably more) hanging with the TL biners. When out in the woods where I belong, they are wrapped around a tree, rock, pole, etc... When at home, they just clip to my attachment point and the hammock in a straight line. No problems, no bending, no catching, nothing but a good night's sleep.

    For the record, I ain't no skinny kid!
    Trust nobody!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •