Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member hikerman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Spike
    Posts
    136

    Pad/New River Combo for winter hangs?

    Dabbling with idea of making DIY double-layer 1.1 hammock
    that has ability to slide a thermarest pad between the layers.
    New River rated at 30, I've been plenty warm down to 28 (cold sleeper).
    Given that I'm aware of condensation potential using a pad,
    has anyone ever done or heard of this. I cannot afford down UQ,
    thus, I'm using what I have. Just want to be prepared if Dec
    28-29 in the Allegheny drops to say the single digits-teens..
    Also, I plan making a windsock to pair up with my soon to arrive
    Superfly tarp...

    Thought, questions, comments are greatly appreciated;-)

  2. #2
    Senior Member hikerman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Spike
    Posts
    136
    39 views and NO ONE has any feedback? I figured this topic
    would get hot. I'm baffled (no pun intended:-))

  3. #3
    New Member Hanging Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alabaster, AL
    Posts
    8
    Images
    6
    Have what you are talking about. Just spent 3 night in the Linville gorge. First night it went to 18 and I was toasty with a blue pad I got at walmart in between the two layers. Used the modular military sleep system. I would post pics but don't know how to in threads. Double layer ripstop gathered end. Worked great! The pad did not shift at all. I don't have the $ for underquilt myself so I took a chance with a pad andI'm glad I did.
    Last edited by Hanging Phoenix; 12-02-2012 at 21:13.

  4. #4
    Senior Member hikerman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Spike
    Posts
    136
    Can you get a nice flat lay with your rig? I have an UQ,
    but it's synthetic. Good to 30. Thinking of adding a pad to drop
    my temps, but I need a flat lay...

  5. #5
    Senior Member MuseJr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Alpine, UT
    Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    AHE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Te-Wa Freeze
    Suspension
    Dynaglide slings
    Posts
    764
    I have added insul-brite to my 3S quilts to extend the temp range. I slide it between the double layers of the hammock. That works better than the pad for me because it is wider and slides around a lot less. It also wraps around me in the hammock, which a pad does not do.
    If you are a cold sleeper, I'm not sure that it will get you down to the single digits, but it will work better than a narrow pad.
    "I'm a connoisseur of BACON." - Anyways - 6/9/13

  6. #6
    New Member Hanging Phoenix's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Alabaster, AL
    Posts
    8
    Images
    6
    Yes! I get a true flat lay. I am new to all this but I have to say he three nights I have spent in my DIY hammock with that pad is the best I have slept in years. I'm 6'1 and about 250lbs and I lay really flat. I do like my legs just slightly elevated but could lay 100% flat if I wanted to with the pad. I did use a SOL Thermal Bivvy and slid my pad into that then put it between the layers and like I said toasty down to 18 with a sleeping bag.

  7. #7
    BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    8,465
    Images
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by hikerman2000 View Post
    Dabbling with idea of making DIY double-layer 1.1 hammock
    that has ability to slide a thermarest pad between the layers.
    New River rated at 30, I've been plenty warm down to 28 (cold sleeper).
    Given that I'm aware of condensation potential using a pad,
    has anyone ever done or heard of this. I cannot afford down UQ,
    thus, I'm using what I have. Just want to be prepared if Dec
    28-29 in the Allegheny drops to say the single digits-teens..
    Also, I plan making a windsock to pair up with my soon to arrive
    Superfly tarp...

    Thought, questions, comments are greatly appreciated;-)
    OK, 1st, you are plenty warm at 28. That means you are good to go at least several degrees lower than that. There are a couple of folks here who have reported using those AHE quilts successfully at a lot lower than 28.

    2nd: what kind of layers were you sleeping in, and were you inside a synthetic bag? Layers of fleece compress poorly, and a synthetic bag compresses way less than down. So, either of these has the potential to add at least a few degrees warmth to your back.

    3: the pad. As you see from Hanging Phoenix, even the lowly WM blue pad all by itself - along with a sleeping bag - can get you to 18F and still toasty. And a thicker pad or layered pads can take some folks way below zero, pad only. So adding a pad - even just a torso pad - should very easily get way below the temps that the UQ by itself can get you. One caution: you need to test this, because a CCF or especially an inflatable pad can interfere with the fit of your UQ, causing gaps or drafts and decreasing the help your UQ gives you. So you need to check that out. I suspect it is a bigger problem using wide pads with UQs. A 19 or 20" wide torso pad inside the hammock is not likely to interfere with a quilts fit, since it is likely not wider than your body.

    Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    I have added insul-brite to my 3S quilts to extend the temp range. I slide it between the double layers of the hammock. That works better than the pad for me because it is wider and slides around a lot less. It also wraps around me in the hammock, which a pad does not do.
    If you are a cold sleeper, I'm not sure that it will get you down to the single digits, but it will work better than a narrow pad.
    Then there is this type of approach. A similar approach is to place a space blanket on top of your UQ, with the shiny side facing your hammock. Dirtwheels recently used a 45F rated WL UQ at 23F and was warm. All he did was add a space blanket. YMMV.
    For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us....that the creation itself also will be set free from its slavery to corruption into the freedom of the glory of the children of God. For we know that the whole creation groans and suffers the pains of childbirth together until now.
    Romans 8:18,21-22

  8. #8
    Senior Member hikerman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Spike
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by MuseJr View Post
    I have added insul-brite to my 3S quilts to extend the temp range. I slide it between the double layers of the hammock. That works better than the pad for me because it is wider and slides around a lot less. It also wraps around me in the hammock, which a pad does not do.
    If you are a cold sleeper, I'm not sure that it will get you down to the single digits, but it will work better than a narrow pad.
    Correction, I am a WARM sleeper, meaning I CAN handle the cold

  9. #9
    Senior Member hikerman2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1 Ripstop
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    New River Full UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies n' Spike
    Posts
    136
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    OK, 1st, you are plenty warm at 28. That means you are good to go at least several degrees lower than that. There are a couple of folks here who have reported using those AHE quilts successfully at a lot lower than 28.

    2nd: what kind of layers were you sleeping in, and were you inside a synthetic bag? Layers of fleece compress poorly, and a synthetic bag compresses way less than down. So, either of these has the potential to add at least a few degrees warmth to your back.

    3: the pad. As you see from Hanging Phoenix, even the lowly WM blue pad all by itself - along with a sleeping bag - can get you to 18F and still toasty. And a thicker pad or layered pads can take some folks way below zero, pad only. So adding a pad - even just a torso pad - should very easily get way below the temps that the UQ by itself can get you. One caution: you need to test this, because a CCF or especially an inflatable pad can interfere with the fit of your UQ, causing gaps or drafts and decreasing the help your UQ gives you. So you need to check that out. I suspect it is a bigger problem using wide pads with UQs. A 19 or 20" wide torso pad inside the hammock is not likely to interfere with a quilts fit, since it is likely not wider than your body.



    Then there is this type of approach. A similar approach is to place a space blanket on top of your UQ, with the shiny side facing your hammock. Dirtwheels recently used a 45F rated WL UQ at 23F and was warm. All he did was add a space blanket. YMMV.
    ------------------------------------------------------

    Thanks for the specifics BOB! I get the sense that as I test many of these options out in my backyard, I will find that delicate balance. I'm DIYing some stuff and will dabble with some of that reflective 3M bubble padding a buddy gave me from HomeDepot. He used it to make his cozy for his cooking set kit. I imagine that if I make a nice torso pad out of that material, that it will also act similar to the space blanket, but even better since it is also thicker with trapped air in the bubbles.

    Maybe I shouldn't even go double-layer then considering the many options BESIDES using a thermarest pad being coupled with my KickA$$ NR UQ? Decisions, decisions...

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Adirondacks, NY
    Hammock
    HH Safari Deluxe
    Insulation
    CCF Pads, SPE
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Posts
    27
    I too suffer from can'taffordanunderquilticitis and rely on pads and proper sleep wear. I have a HH Safari Deluxe Zip so I had to make a Segmented Pad Extender ala JustJeff's design to help hold everything in place. I've been comfy cozy down to 14F with 2 Walmart Blue Pads and a military Thermarest under me with a military modular sleep system unzipped as a TQ.

    The other piece of equipment (outside of clothing choice) has been my TED style sock that I DIY'd from Lost_Biker's modification. I would say the addition of the sock added a minimum of 10 degrees to my temp range. I think I could push single digits as I was so warm that I had to shed layers and vent to avoid sweating.

    Keep experimenting and finding the right combination in your backyard, as it's way better than finding a learning curve too far from your car... ask me how I know

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •