Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    38.0123, -122.4900
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Posts
    1,594
    Images
    57

    Question Ridgeline for a Ridgerunner

    I have specific sleep requirements and was wondering if a ridgeline could somehow be rigged with the netted version of the Ridgerunner? I need to hang things off the ridgeline. Looking at pictures of the RR makes me think that it would be difficult or at least involve cutting holes in the bug netting. Any ideas?

    S

  2. #2
    hairbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    n e missouri
    Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Posts
    968
    [QUOTE=Sidewinder;877145]I have specific sleep requirements and was wondering if a ridgeline could somehow be rigged with the netted version of the Ridgerunner? I need to hang things off the ridgeline. Looking at pictures of the RR makes me think that it would be difficult or at least involve cutting holes in the bug netting. Any ideas?

    S[/QUOT i missed the ridge line at first,but now i find the saddle bags just as handy.some sew the ends of the ridge line into the seam of the bug net or spindrift.i would use a bungie type line .as pressure can be put on a ridge line in a bridge (prof. ham.)
    Last edited by hairbear; 12-07-2012 at 06:17.

  3. #3
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Central IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    5,151
    I wanted a lite duty ridgeline in my RR to hang my glasses and a very small light on.

    I sewed small grosgrain loops at both ends of the bug netting to string a line. The loops are placed at, and sew through the existing grosgrain loops that the shock cord net suspension is attached to. They are NOT just sewn to the netting.

    The existing shock cord carries any weigh hung on the ridgeline. As stated, this is for a few very lite weight items only.

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...&postcount=365

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    38.0123, -122.4900
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Posts
    1,594
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I wanted a lite duty ridgeline in my RR to hang my glasses and a very small light on.

    I sewed small grosgrain loops at both ends of the bug netting to string a line. The loops are placed at, and sew through the existing grosgrain loops that the shock cord net suspension is attached to. They are NOT just sewn to the netting.

    The existing shock cord carries any weigh hung on the ridgeline. As stated, this is for a few very lite weight items only.

    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...&postcount=365

    That's a nice mod, gmcttr. Well done! I need something that will hold up to 1 pound. This will probably not work witht the netted RR. Maybe I need to get a non-net RR and use a sock type bugnet. Hmm... could work...

    S

  5. #5
    2Questions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lititz, PA
    Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    Posts
    2,389
    Images
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I have specific sleep requirements and was wondering if a ridgeline could somehow be rigged with the netted version of the Ridgerunner? I need to hang things off the ridgeline. Looking at pictures of the RR makes me think that it would be difficult or at least involve cutting holes in the bug netting. Any ideas?

    S
    Not sure if its a good idea or not or even possible but......
    what about a sectional pole that attached to the end of the spreader bars and also through a loop at the netting tie out. You would have a three point connection for the pole that would most likely hold 1 pound or more of weight.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    and More!

    "The difference between genius and stupidity is.... genius has its limits" - Albert Einstein

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    38.0123, -122.4900
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Posts
    1,594
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Not sure if its a good idea or not or even possible but......
    what about a sectional pole that attached to the end of the spreader bars and also through a loop at the netting tie out. You would have a three point connection for the pole that would most likely hold 1 pound or more of weight.
    Tim, that is a very intesting idea. I like it but I don't know about carrying the weight of the extra pole.

    S

  7. #7
    2Questions's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Lititz, PA
    Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Slings/straps
    Posts
    2,389
    Images
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Tim, that is a very intesting idea. I like it but I don't know about carrying the weight of the extra pole.

    S
    Oh, I figured 2ozs. for a pole would justify needing to hang something 1 lb on it.....
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    and More!

    "The difference between genius and stupidity is.... genius has its limits" - Albert Einstein

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    38.0123, -122.4900
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Posts
    1,594
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    Oh, I figured 2ozs. for a pole would justify needing to hang something 1 lb on it.....
    I know I know. I'm really on the edge with buying the RR because of it's base weight. I don't have a choice with the item I hang from the ridgeline so I accept that weight penality but I have to really consider everything else. I'm now thinking of getting the netless RR and seeing if one of my bug socks will fit over it with a lash it ridgeline.

    S.

  9. #9
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Central IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    5,151
    I started to head to try a regular bug net on the RR but decided it wasn't likely to work due to the length of the suspension triangles. While a custom net could be made, I'm guessing there would at least be problems sealing the ends of a normal net.

    Sooooo...another experiment ensued. I replaced the small diameter shock cord on the head end of the RR with 1/8" shock cord, set up the RR and hung a 20 oz. weight on the ridgeline. I found I had to set the shock cord up fairly tight to support the weight.

    IMG_3246 (Medium).JPGIMG_3247 (Medium).JPGIMG_3249 (Medium).JPG

    I'm not going to recommend for everyone to install a ridgeline and start hanging heavy objects on it, but it did worked very well.

    My ridgeline prevents the netting from being strained by the stronger shock cord by passing the stresses through to the shock cord on the foot end. The 20 oz. weight pulls the tight 1/8" shock cord down preventing it from pulling up on the netting from where it attaches to the zipper. I'd consider it a successful test for those truly needing this.
    Last edited by gmcttr; 12-08-2012 at 16:37.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    38.0123, -122.4900
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Posts
    1,594
    Images
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I started to head to try a regular bug net on the RR but decided it wasn't likely to work due to the length of the suspension triangles. While a custom net could be made, I'm guessing there would at least be problems sealing the ends of a normal net.

    Sooooo...another experiment ensued. I replaced the small diameter shock cord on the head end of the RR with 1/8" shock cord, set up the RR and hung a 20 oz. weight on the ridgeline. I found I had to set the shock cord up fairly tight to support the weight.

    IMG_3246 (Medium).JPGIMG_3247 (Medium).JPGIMG_3249 (Medium).JPG

    I'm not going to recommend for everyone to install a ridgeline and start hanging heavy objects on it, but it did worked very well.

    My ridgeline prevents the netting from being strained by the stronger shock cord by passing the stresses through to the shock cord on the foot end. The 20 oz. weight pulls the tight 1/8" shock cord down preventing it from pulling up on the netting from where it attaches to the zipper. I'd consider it a successful test for those truly needing this.
    I think this will work! Thanks, the pictures really help.

    Now I have to decide Single or Double layer Ridgerunner. Anyone use a pad in a Single layer?


    S

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •