Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 37
  1. #21
    Slowanderer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colorado Springs, Co.
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    ORM TQ & WB UQ
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Posts
    223
    Thanks guys, keep up the good work. It is very much appreciated. This is my favorite place to be !!!

  2. #22
    fallkniven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Posts
    2,104
    Images
    451
    Doesn't the word 'gift' mean no money is needed. Why would paypal even have a gift option? That's odd...

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Western Oregon
    Hammock
    HH Explorer, Exped, WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge,MacCat Mic
    Insulation
    Phoenix, Incubator
    Suspension
    Stock
    Posts
    808
    Let me add #4, it's easier for the seller to hit a button and print a label.
    And #5, there is no way the address can be messed up.

  4. #24
    Senior Member Just Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    8,012
    Images
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by fallkniven View Post
    Doesn't the word 'gift' mean no money is needed. Why would paypal even have a gift option? That's odd...
    That's like when grandmothers send birthday money to their grandchildren, or food money to college kids. It's not in return for a good or service...it's a gift.

    We don't do much of that on HF...and none of it happens in the For Sale subforum, which is why it's prohibited.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

    - My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

    IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

  5. #25
    fallkniven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NJ
    Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Posts
    2,104
    Images
    451
    Ah. That makes sense. Didn't think about the money being the gift. Always wondered what that was all about.

  6. #26
    K0m4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    HG cf WinterPalace
    Insulation
    WB yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    I also find it distasteful when I see sellers also asking for the buyer to pay the PayPal fees. I view offering PayPal and the associated fees as a cost of doing business. I also account for that in the price I either charge or accept for any given item.
    I disagree. Most FS threads is not about businesses, it's people selling their excess gear either because they don't need it anymore or to salvage a few bucks if you got something wrong. If you're clear in the ad about adding the fees into the price, it is nothing different from asking to add the shipping costs. You should be upfront with it though.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Just Jeff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Charlottesville, VA
    Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    8,012
    Images
    32
    Semantics, really - if you do it up front, it's already included in the price whether you break it out in the post or not.

    As long as you don't list the terms, and then ask the buyer to pay the fees AFTER they've agreed to the listed price.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

    - My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

    IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

  8. #28
    BrianWillan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Tarp
    Ogee / UGQ B.A.T.
    Insulation
    HG Inc-BE / Wiggys
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Posts
    1,869
    Images
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by K0m4 View Post
    I disagree. Most FS threads is not about businesses, it's people selling their excess gear either because they don't need it anymore or to salvage a few bucks if you got something wrong. If you're clear in the ad about adding the fees into the price, it is nothing different from asking to add the shipping costs. You should be upfront with it though.
    Refer back to post #12 in this thread, which quotes the PayPal User Agreement.

    Cheers

    Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

    Eastern Great Lakes Trip Planning Announcement thread. Subscribe to keep informed on upcoming group hangs in this area.

  9. #29
    Senior Member OneThing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Northern California
    Hammock
    HH EUA-sym
    Tarp
    MaCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HG 20° Phoenix
    Suspension
    UCR, Dutchware
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    I agree.

    I also find it distasteful when I see sellers also asking for the buyer to pay the PayPal fees. I view offering PayPal and the associated fees as a cost of doing business. I also account for that in the price I either charge or accept for any given item.

    Cheers

    Brian
    I just read the PayPal user agreement. The part where, seller pays cost.

    Maybe a "Sticky" on "Selling Etiquette on HF." could by added. A policy of "Seller pays PayPal fees" be added.
    Last edited by OneThing; 12-19-2012 at 12:27. Reason: Re-Read PayPal policy and some post here...

  10. #30
    K0m4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tbilisi, Georgia
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    HG cf WinterPalace
    Insulation
    WB yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Posts
    446
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Refer back to post #12 in this thread, which quotes the PayPal User Agreement.

    Cheers

    Brian
    When there's a transaction between two individuals, neither of which is conducting a business, I think it's perfectly fair to say "I don't want to pay money for the fact that you are paying me money for this item I'm selling, so I'll include the fees for making the transaction easy in the price". Then the total will add up to more or less than what anyone is willing to pay, and decisions will be taken accordingly. As justjeff said: semantics - claiming it afterwards is not right. But I think it's cleaner to state that paypal fees are in the price. I have done it all the time on other forums, to me it's nothing strange.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •