Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    stock / webbing
    No with all that being said. I have been using the single ring suspension. And find for me it has the best adj.

My understanding is that the prusik works with the friction exerted as it tries to "twist" the static line, and that the tension on the suspension line doesn't allow that to happen as well, leading to slippage.

Try it, but maybe add an extra wrap or two to improve your chances.

Images
    The common cordage used around here(ie. amsteel, dynaglide) is a bit slippery, and by the time you've got enough wraps with the prusik, it's too difficult to adjust. Also, putting your weight on it also tightens up the prusik a lot making it difficult to adjust, atleast in comparison to slings.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Cuban w doors
    Insulation
    Warm and fluffy
    Suspension
    Webbing
    I will try it out and put some pics up once I finalize my idea.

Hammock
    WBBB 2layer
    Tarp
    DD 9x9
    Insulation
    HG 0* Burrow
    Suspension
    Woooooooooopies
    Yeah i use the pursik to keep my tarp taught , it holds the over hang nicely

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    My first hammock suspension was based off of prussicks. The only downside is you need a biner on your strap so you don't have to re tie your prussik every time you hang. I love that method but Whoopies are the in thing with hammocks because of the weight savings over old school rope.

My only suggestion is to use a couple of extra wraps when you tie the prussik so it doesn't slide on you in the middle of the night. Overall, great system especially if you want to stick with a one knot suspension...

Misunderstood your original question...never tried it, but if what I am thinking is correct then that could work as well. Prussicks are my favorite knot, very useful.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by michiganhanger View Post
    Has anyone ever tried a Prusik knot on the hammock end around a single line to webbing on a tree for suspension? I like the idea of simplicity and adjustability. I am curious if this has been successfully tried or even if a Prusik knot would hold the weight and be secure enough. Any thoughts on this concept?
    I tried the prusik and found it to slip, and I'm only about 155#. I switched to the klemheist, (a great knot, easier to tie) which holds me fine.
    I have and continue to play with different setups. I like knots and the ucr. I still need to try the single ring suspension.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I tried this with 7/64" amsteel last spring when someone asked about it. Since the tension on the line from the prusik to the tree is only on one side, the prussik was able to "twist" the line and become misshapen. It held, but was very difficult to adjust after it had been loaded once. We abandoned the idea.

It may work better with a heavier and stiffer rope, but then you've lost the weight savings.

So I have had the same idea for some time now and Im not sure what kind of rope to use for the suspension line.... here is my best guss of what it would look like. What rope do you guys think I should use? Weigt it not much of an issue, i just dont want to be carring steel cable and a wench.

what about a distal hitch? It is similar to a prusik but only holds when pulled in one direction, when pulled the other way it slides.
    gmcttr, did you use 7/64" for the line and for the knot? I may have to try this idea, the distal hitch shouldn't have the twist problem, as when it is loaded it constricts.

Mark

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast