90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle

Help! Need quick advice on Down

I'm making some down UQs and TQs. I am using down pillows for the stuffing. There are some small "feathers"...downy-like but with enough quill attached that I can feel them when I am getting a fist full off the end of the shop vac. I have been trying to pick them out, but I know I'm missing some. I would have to drive over an hour one way to exchange the pillows for something else and I really need to finish these today. My question is how likely are these small type feathers to poke through 1.1 ripstop? Is it ok to just put them in? I've seen others who have used down pillows from Kmart and places that have just sucked the down into the shop vacation tube and transferred directly to the UQ never actually touching the down. I would guess that some of these types of small feathers were mixed in.
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It is really a matter of weight/warmth/value. The quills _will_ poke through. Will it happen all at once? Not likely. Will it damage the quilt cover? Not likely. Will it result in a colder quilt? Eventually, but lets face you don't have the same money invested that you would with reall 900 fp down so the value of the quilt will likely not suffer that much. Will the quilt lose it's loft? Eventually but not all at once. Pull the feathers out as they poke through and remember the reason for the decision to use pillow fill. I suspect you'll be fine.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Thanks!! I'm just going to pick out any larger ones and not fret the others. :-)
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6 Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Climashield UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps

Down vs Feather

Did the label tags indicate how much percentage was feathers vs down? From what I remember even if it says only down, manufacturers are allowed a certain percentage error margin, so it could be 10% feathers and 90% down. I generally add 10% to whatever the tag says for feather content.

Eventually, most will work their way out and leave you with mostly down without compromising the shell material.

You might compensate for that eventual outcome, by slightly overstuffing by 5-10%.

Hammock
    DIY DL gathered end hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 11 ft cat cut
    Insulation
    DIY down diff cut
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    I made my top quilt and under quilt from Kmart down pillows. Both have been fine and both had a few noticeable feathers in them along with the down. I didn't worry about pulling them out and it hasn't been a problem so far. that is once I realized I need a Down proof fabric....dont ask.....
    "Live your life so that your children can tell their children that you not only stood for something wonderful- you acted on it"
    -Dan Zadra

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    Even though they say 100% down, I think the legal limit seems to be that they must be 75% down, as that is what most labels have said. The second pillow was MUCH better than the first with very few noticeable feathers. I'm on pillow #3 and so far, this one has been pretty good. I've pulled a few out. Resquesarge, good to know you haven't had any issues. I don't know what the fp is, but the quilts are quite puffy. I haven't distributed the down yet, but I think they will loft nicely!
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• + New Posts