Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member ky chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    168

    A Cloudburst and a WBRR question

    Thanks for all the replies of my previous thread!

    Here's a couple more questions.

    1. With my WBBB and MJ tarp, I used trekking poles a lot to form a porch. Has the size of the Cloudburst been a problem with light winds in this configuration?

    2. How does the WBRR do on a turtledog?

    Thanks for any replies. And Happy Holidays.
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

  2. #2
    breyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Variety of Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie/SRS/Straps
    Posts
    1,807
    1. Not a problem. It's about the same size as a Superfly really (only a bit bigger). One of the keys is that the panel pulls are spaced perfectly for the spreader bars. And, there's a small loop underneath to hook the bug net shck cord to.

    2. Does fine on a stand, as long as you have a cross pole that's at least 13ft; 14-15 is even a bit better.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

  3. #3
    Senior Member ky chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    1. Not a problem. It's about the same size as a Superfly really (only a bit bigger). One of the keys is that the panel pulls are spaced perfectly for the spreader bars. And, there's a small loop underneath to hook the bug net shck cord to.

    2. Does fine on a stand, as long as you have a cross pole that's at least 13ft; 14-15 is even a bit better.
    I was asking specifically how it does in a "porch" configuration where you wouldn't be able to use the panel pulls. The tie-downs are spaced wider than a MJ which makes me think that there might be a problem with sagging.

    The standard build of the turtledog uses a ten foot cross pole. Does it still work ok out to 14-15 feet?
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

  4. #4
    breyman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Hammock
    WBRR, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Variety of Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie/SRS/Straps
    Posts
    1,807
    Porch mode should be okay with moderate winds. About as well as any other tarp, at least. It does sag just a bit, when compared with a smaller tarp, which is to be expected due to its size. It ends up doing well, though.

    Yah, the turtledog does fine with a longer cross pole, as long as you can find segments that add up to that long. I have a 16 foot cross pole on a TurtleLady stand and attach my RidgeRunner to it regularly without any problems. And I use thinner aluminum poles than the fencerails, which are stronger/sturdier.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

  5. #5
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    South Central IN
    Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Posts
    5,218
    Quote Originally Posted by breyman View Post
    ...Yah, the turtledog does fine with a longer cross pole, as long as you can find segments that add up to that long. I have a 16 foot cross pole on a TurtleLady stand and attach my RidgeRunner to it regularly without any problems. And I use thinner aluminum poles than the fencerails, which are stronger/sturdier.
    ^^^This...
    IMG_3102 (Medium).JPG

    Cloudburst in porch mode...
    IMG_3158 (Medium).JPG
    Last edited by gmcttr; 12-21-2012 at 13:14.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Rio Rancho, NM
    Hammock
    DIY 11 footers
    Tarp
    Chinook
    Insulation
    AHE and GoLite
    Suspension
    Webbing cinch
    Posts
    297
    Images
    21
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    ^^^This...
    IMG_3102 (Medium).JPG

    Cloudburst in porch mode...
    IMG_3158 (Medium).JPG
    Dang GMC, that is a nice setup on stand and off....

    The RidgeRunner even LOOKS bada$$!!!!

  7. #7
    Senior Member ky chris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Kentucky
    Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tad Pole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posts
    168
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    ^^^This...
    IMG_3102 (Medium).JPG

    Cloudburst in porch mode...
    IMG_3158 (Medium).JPG
    Thanks for the nice pics. I can't wait to get mine. Unfortunately, winter has finally hit.
    Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday...there is no someday.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •