WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    The thing about the spreader bar inside the channel is you have to have a pretty big channel... Which is fine on something you make, but most things produced are going to have a smaller channel due to aesthetics...

What do you have in mind for doing dual purpose...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckle/strap
    Dual purpose refers to going to the ground. I don't want to be forced into one application or the other. Safety on the water and convenience are both jeopardized if you're forced to continue searching for an appropriate site for one technique or the other especially when travelling solo. Although using a hammock indicates hanging is the preferred option I don't want it to limit my options (same as a tent only). I feel that hammock designs like the Dream or Blackbird with incorporated net are designs that don't translate well to the ground. Yes it can be done, but the finished setup is pretty cumbersome, and risk damage to the hammock fabric as well. I know that any hammock is vulnerable to damage on the ground and a ground sheet will need to be used and the pad should be placed under the hammock to provide additional protection. Hammocks with a detached bug net are a cumbersome design in both applications (IMHO).
    As for the mini spreader, if I do attempt using one, I don't plan on inserting it in the channel itself. The thread on mini spreaders is very informative regarding their application/use and did a good job of illustrating what was most successful. I hope I don't have to go down that path, but if I do, I think I'm pretty comfortable with what I should try. I know I don't want to attempt anything that permanently alters the hammock or couldn't be removed easily.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Sounds like you have thought long and hard... I know there are a few hammocks that have bivy options as well as tiring up options... I will quit throwing out ideas though as it seems you have all your ducks in a row...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WL, WB, Clark stuff
    Images

Bridge maybe?

A bridge hammock might be worth a look. People have written about going to ground in them if need be.

Billy bob has written extensively on here about knee pain in gathered end hammocks and how his BMBH has completely solved that problem, might be worth a search. I have a RR and love it but I'm smaller than you and I'm not sure your frame would fit comfortably in it. However, I think a BMBH is longer than a RR, not sure though, but specs on their respective websites. They are both bridges and both have owners on here who love them. I'm one of them.

Hammock
    Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckle/strap
    I sure appreciate the feedback and ideas. I knew going into this purchase that some of the appropriate size estimates and comfort are theoretical and subjective at best. Not sure where you would even find a 7'5" x 350 lb hammock camper to ask!
    I hope this forum provides honest feedback especially for the vendors so they are able to use that feedback as "field research" to determine what opportunities may exist in the market place. The "cottage vendors" in particular have demonstrated their willingness to respond to market demand if they feel the opportunity outweighs the risk and can provide a return on investment.
    I also think those contemplating hammock camping as an alternative to tents want an honest idea of what some of the drawbacks might be. It's all subjective and you can find reviews on the web of virtually any item (not just hammocks) that support almost any claim. Which ultimately translates to........"you pay your money and take your chances". Fortunately the first hand knowledge presented in this forum helps a lot with trying to sort fact from fiction, but requires a lot of research just to get informed enough to realize what is actually being said. My own experience when viewing other product reviews (ie: paddle sports) is the purchaser is primarily trying to justify their purchase in both their own mind and in the mind of those reading the review.
    Thanks again for the help!!!!!!!!

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    7'5" x 350#...that's quite a holiday growth spurt.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Jungle
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    pad
    Suspension
    cinch buckle/strap
    shortbread dunnit!

Some of the comfort profiles I've read on vendor sites lead me to believe Sasquatch was a customer and provided favorable feedback!

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Images
    At 7'5", according to some of my readings about building your own hammock, your hammock should be at least your height plus 2' between the knots. (Source found here) At 7'4" that means the shortest hammock you should consider should be at least 9' 4" between the knots and I'd honestly recommend a hammock at least 10' in length, if not 11'.

I know at 5' 10" I find a 9' 4" hammock comfortable, if I try to extrapolate what size hammock you would need for a similar sleep experience, I would guess that you needed one 10' 10" long. You may find that doing a DIY solution will most easily fit your needs. Although I know many of our cottage people are willing to do custom work as well.
    Eagle Scout, June 1987
    Eagle Patrol--SR830

"A man stands tallest when he stoops to help a boy."

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12