Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Hammock
    still working on that one...
    Thank you all for your replys. I am very interested in the warbonnet, and still the Clark. For some reason the under side entry of the Hennessy does not appeal to me. Still, my friend with the ENO tells me that no matter what get the doublenest as it is way more comfortable (not to mention I tend to move around allot in my sleep... Is this the case with these hammocks as well? I would like a little extra room, is the double size worth it? Also, is there any reason NOT to get the ENO other than the fact that it is multi-piece and not all in one (like the hennessey for instance). If you could only choose ONE, what would it be? Also keep in mind I might wind up in cold enviroments such as Nepal, etc. Thank you!

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    I think of Eno as the gateway hammock. They're pretty commonly available and are the introductory hammock that a lot of folks get after trying the old cotton rope woven bridge style backyard hammocks. The Eno double is just fine...many people have them and use them and are perfectly content with them. There are plenty of other hammocks to choose from as well, with different styles and lengths, and configurations. The way you lie in a hammock and what's comfortable for you is one of those things that you need to experience.

One of the big factors affecting comfort for most folks is the overall length of the hammock. The Eno is a relatively short hammock @~9.25 feet. A lot of folks suggest getting a longer hammock (10 or 11 feet, depending on your height and the way you sleep) in order to get a more flat lie.

if you happen to live near where a group hang is taking place, stop by to check out other folks gear to try before you buy. If you happen to buy something and it turns out not to be ideal, you'll probably be able to sell it here for close to what you paid for it.

One of the common sayings here is "hang your own hang"...lif it works for you, go with it!

Bruce

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    BTW: another recommendation. The Ultimate Hang
    http://theultimatehang.com/

Written and illustrated by one of our own, Derek Hansen! Excellent introduction to hammocking basics.

Bruce

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Hammockgear
    Insulation
    Te-Wa & JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Welcome to the forum.

I have both WBBB and Traveler.

I would recommend getting the traveler with a separate bug net. It will give you more flexibility.

Try to lean to make one yourself out of a table cloth or some other fabric. That way if your hammock rips or get stolen you will be able to make one with local materials. I think for your trip, carrying the knowledge along with your material possessions will make you well prepare.

Have a good trip.

Hammock
    still working on that one...
    "if you happen to live near where a group hang is taking place, stop by to check out other folks gear to try before you buy."
    -this is part of my delima! I totally agree, but unfortunately I cannot try before I buy....based on where I live, etc.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    CCF pad
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hellkitten View Post
    "if you happen to live near where a group hang is taking place, stop by to check out other folks gear to try before you buy."
    -this is part of my delima! I totally agree, but unfortunately I cannot try before I buy....based on where I live, etc.
    why cant you try before you buy here in florida? we have lots of hangers here and some are actually trying to get a hang this weekend (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=64996) in central florida
    "To live would be an awfully big adventure."-Peter Pan

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by hellkitten View Post
    Thank you all for your replys. I am very interested in the warbonnet, and still the Clark. For some reason the under side entry of the Hennessy does not appeal to me. Still, my friend with the ENO tells me that no matter what get the doublenest as it is way more comfortable (not to mention I tend to move around allot in my sleep... Is this the case with these hammocks as well? I would like a little extra room, is the double size worth it? Also, is there any reason NOT to get the ENO other than the fact that it is multi-piece and not all in one (like the hennessey for instance). If you could only choose ONE, what would it be? Also keep in mind I might wind up in cold enviroments such as Nepal, etc. Thank you!
    Hammocks are such a personal thing that just because the ENO is amazing to your friend doesn't mean it will be to you. I personally don't like them at all. I tried a double nest and didn't think it was that comfy and didn't like all the material falling in on me. I move around a lot in my sleep as well and I have no problems in any of the other hammocks I have, even some of my narrower ones.

Reasons not to get the ENO.... Not all in one, it has to be modded to be usable (the straps stretch and the suspension is heavy), it's not lightweight compared to other hammocks.

Look at the ones already recommended and check out BIAS, They're bugnets aren't integrated but they are lightweight and really comfy. They are 11' long and you can get them in varying widths, so you can have all the room in the world.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

You keep mentioning the Clark, I use one, the NX250, on a daily basis. It is simply bomb proof. Look at the weights and the Clark isn't the lightest, but it is not heavy. Mosquitos? In the Clark you are SAFE, both on top and from below, they can't get to you. Are others mosquito proof, I don't know but the Clark sure is. Packs up reasonably small, sets up easily, and is COMFORTABLE night after night, I have every night since the end of May in mine and no signs of stretching or other issues. While I have and use the Clark Vertex tarp, which is big, I just ordered a Superfly from WarBonnet, as it has "doors" and is better suited for foul weather use. Whatever you choose, try to get it early and try it out for several nights, and in rain, to see what its realities are. Enjoy the trip and happy hanging.

Hammock
    Dream Hammocks Sparrow
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammockgear, KAQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles baby
    BTW: you mentioned being an "active sleeper".

I'm assuming since you're new to hanging that you mean that you are an active sleeper when in a bed or on the ground. That experience MAY not be the same once you get into a hammock....especially after a busy day of hiking/traveling. You may find yourself settling into your hammock and then not moving around all that much until the next morning. Personally, I'm one of those folks that moves and groves over night in a bed. As in, when I wake up in the morning, the sheets are generally all over the place. That isn't my experience using hammocks...once you find a hammock that works well for you and you find that sweet hangin spot, you can crash pretty quickly. I tend to fall asleep faster and have fewer times when I'm tossing and turning when in a hammock. It probably helps that most of the time I'm using a hammock, I've been running around wih Scouts, doing whatever activity we happen to be doing, waking up early and going to bed late.

Good luck!
    Bruce

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by bdaabat View Post
    BTW: you mentioned being an "active sleeper".

I'm assuming since you're new to hanging that you mean that you are an active sleeper when in a bed or on the ground. That experience MAY not be the same once you get into a hammock....especially after a busy day of hiking/traveling. You may find yourself settling into your hammock and then not moving around all that much until the next morning. Personally, I'm one of those folks that moves and groves over night in a bed. As in, when I wake up in the morning, the sheets are generally all over the place. That isn't my experience using hammocks...once you find a hammock that works well for you and you find that sweet hangin spot, you can crash pretty quickly. I tend to fall asleep faster and have fewer times when I'm tossing and turning when in a hammock. It probably helps that most of the time I'm using a hammock, I've been running around wih Scouts, doing whatever activity we happen to be doing, waking up early and going to bed late.

Good luck!
    Bruce
    Big +1

I roll back and forth every two hours like clockwork in my bed... In a hammock I lay down, get comfortable, then go 'holy crap, is that the sun coming up?!?!' I used to tent after long days of hiking and would still roll around a lot... It seems that hammocks just kind of 'nest' you in there just right so that you don't feel as restless.

This was in a Grand Trunks Ultralight too. I just got a GT Double (same price as the ENO Double but longer and wider) but haven't tried it yet. I liked the UL alright, but I never got a really good flat lay in the UL, without my feet hanging out. So I'm thinking the double will be even better!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast